Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University
|Motto||"Science is God"|
|Chancellor||N N VOHRA|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof Dr. Sanjeev Jain|
|Location||Katra, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Campus||474 acres (1.9 km2)|
|Affiliations||Approved Under Section 2(f) & 12(B) of UGC (India) of Act 1956|
The Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, commonly referred to as SMVD University or SMVDU, is a university on an 470-acre (190 ha) campus located near Katra, Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated near the shrine of the Mata Vaishno Devi, after which it is named. The university is fully residential and provides technical education in the field of engineering, science, management, philosophy and other subjects of contemporary importance, with all technical courses recognised by AICTE, CIC and COA. With the focus on higher learning & research, SMVDU has established itself in the league of eminent institutions of learning in the country.
Located at a distance of 45 km from Jammu Airport and 14 km short of the holy town of Katra, the university is situated on a plateau surrounded by mountains on three sides in the foothills of the Trikuta Range where the shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi is located. It is a self-contained township with most facilities available in-house.
- 1 History
- 2 Recognition
- 3 Funding
- 4 Campus
- 5 Administrative structure
- 6 Admissions
- 7 Academics
- 8 Student Assistantship Program
- 9 Student life on campus
- 10 Research
- 11 Community development
- 12 Outreach
- 13 Placements and alumni
- 14 Controversies
- 15 See also
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Back in 1998 the people of Jammu region supported the establishment of Shri Mata vaishno Devi University. This turned into movement which lasted for around two months. Various students, traders, lawyers and various communities joined this movement. Even a 17-day-long strike was observed for the cause. Ultimately Jammu and Kashmir state government had to give in and State Legislature enacted SMVDU's act of 1999 which made it a technical and fully residential university.
SMVDU got established as a State University of the J&K Legislature under its Act of 1999 which defines it as a technical and fully residential university. Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board owned and Funded the project for construction of University. Hence site spread over an area of 470 acres was procured from Kakriyal village, a flat hill across Jhajjar stream from National Highway 1A(now NH44).
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU) has been established under THE JAMMU AND KASHMIR SHRI MATA VAISHNO DEVI UNIVERSITY ACT, 1999, an act of the J&K State Legislature (ACT No. XII of 1999 dated 12 May 1999) as an autonomous, highly Technical & fully Residential University.
The University started functioning as an academic unit in Aug 2004 when it was inaugurated on 19 August 2004 at the hands of the then Hon'ble President of India Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam. Dr. Kalam also delivered the first lecture to the students of the University.
The University is approved by UGC under Section 2(F) & Section 12(B) of UGC Act of 1956.
The technical programs of the University are recognized by AICTE (All India Council of Technical Education) while Architecture program is recognized by Council of Architecture.
University Grants Commission recognises it under section 2(f). First convocation was held in 2008 which got delivered by Hon’ble Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. In 2009, UGC granted 12(b) status to the University and it started to get grants from it.
The University receives funding from Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board,an autonomous Board set up in August 1986 under the provisions of The Jammu and Kashmir Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Act, 1986 of J&K State Legislature. The University also gets funds from UGC (University Grants Commission).
University is in the proximity of the Trikuta foothills. The 474-acre (1.92 km2) University campus is divided into various blocks such as the Academic Block, Administrative Block, Central Library, Hostels & Residential Area. The various schools of study consist of well equipped, lecture and seminar halls, conference rooms, departmental lab and computer lab and all modern facilities.[better source needed]
The Initial campus plan was Designed and Master planned by S.Ghosh & Associates. They were awarded this project through by Winning a national level competition entry. The basic plan got implemented and it was completed by 2006.
Governor of J&K is nominal Chancellor of the university and the Chairman of the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board.
The Executive Council of the University, with Vice-Chancellor as its head, is the supreme body of the university. The Academic Council is the highest academic body and makes recommendations to the Executive Council on academic matters. The university also has a Finance Committee and the Building & Works Committee. The Planning Board helps the Vice-Chancellor in foreseeing the growth of the university.
Many students are admitted into the B.Tech / B.Arch programme every year from amongst the high rankers of JEE MAINS through the Central Counseling Board (MHRD) of JEE MAINS (CBSE).
Candidates admitted to M.B.A. programme pass through a three tier selection process based on CAT/MAT Score, Group Discussions & Interviews conducted by panel of academicians from IITs & corporate professionals. Only the selected candidates make it through.
Admissions to other Post-Graduate Programmes (M.Sc, M.Tech,MCA, M. A.) & PhD are made through National level Entrance Tests & Interviews.
Unlike most of the colleges in India, SMVDU has no reservation quota for certain section of students and the students are allotted seats solely on the basis of their merit.
The university follows the Credit-based programme structure which requires students to earn sufficient credits for degree. Industrial/Corporate Training is also mandatory part of curriculum. Students are encouraged to work on industry sponsored projects. Continuous Evaluation System is followed and Evaluation techniques including Quiz, Assignments, Minor & Major Tests are used periodically. Each school has a Board of Studies consisting of eminent academicians and professionals from industry who update the syllabi to ensure relevance of the content viz a viz the needs of industry as well as Research.
Extensive usage of varied contemporary pedagogy like Multi-media teaching aids including Digital Projectors, OHP, Net Enabled Labs, Video Conferencing, Cut Section Models, Simulation Software are used to enrich the teaching-learning process. Field visits are conducted regularly to familiarise students with real world applications of the knowledge learnt.
Visiting Lectures by a variety of faculty members and professionals are arranged on a regular basis to broaden the scope of learning. The university has an excellent Student Teacher Ratio of 12:1, ensuring sufficient faculty access to the students.
There are four colleges or faculties, with a Dean heading each one of them. Each college consists of Schools of Study, analogous to departments in a university, headed by a Director. Academic de-centralization allows each school to function in an autonomous manner.
The Schools offer various programs of Study at undergraduate, Post-graduate and Doctorate level.
The University has adopted an IIT/UGC pattern of Study with Choice-based credit system and continuous evaluation based on Grade Point Average (GPA) on a 10-point scale.
Programmes of study
The university offers following Under-graduate and Post-graduate programmes of Study :
- Master of Science Economics(Hons.)
- Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch)
- Bachelor of Technology (Computer Science and Engg.)
- Bachelor of Technology (Electronics & Communication Engg.)
- Bachelor of Technology (Mechanical Engg.)
- Bachelor of Technology (Bio-Technology)
- Master of Business Administration (M B A)
- Master of Business Administration (Business Economics)
- Master of Science (Mathematics)
- Master of Science (Physics)
- Master of Science (Bio-Technology)
- Master of Technology (Electronics & Communication)
- Master of Technology (Manufacturing & Production)
- Master of Technology (Computer Sciences)
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
- Master of Arts (English)
- Master of Arts (Philosophy)
- Doctorate Pro-gramme offered by all the schools.
College of Engineering
1) School of Architecture and Landscape Design.
2) School of Computer Science Engineering.
3) School of Mechanical Engineering.
4) School of Industrial Biotechnology.
5) School of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
College of Management
The College of Management consists of the following schools :
College of Sciences
The College of Sciences consists of the following schools :
In addition to the M.Sc program the constituent schools also offer Doctoral Programs.
College of Philosophy Culture & Languages
The College of Humanities & Social Sciences consists of the following schools :
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
|Outlook India||25 (2013)|
|Business – India|
It is ranked 25th in a survey of top Indian engineering colleges by popular magazine Outlook (magazine) in 2013. Among University Rankings in National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) released by Ministry of Human Resource Development (Govt. of India) it is at 80th position.
Student Assistantship Program
Top ten percent of students in each class are awarded scholarship with tuition fee waiver ranging from 100% to 50% subject to fulfillment of merit restrictions.
Student life on campus
The university has a residential system which can accommodate all the students on campus in six hostels (Vidhyanchal, Nilgiri, Trikuta, Kailash and Basoli for men, and Shivalik and Vaishnavi for women).
Following are the major festivals in the Annual Calendar:
- Annual National Level Technical Festival Titksha,
- Management Festival ‘Tatva’,
- Architecture Festival ‘Srijan’,
- Annual Cultural & Sports Festival ‘Resurgence’
Besides festivals, Annual Science Day, Annual Engineers Day, Monthly Panel discussions "Mind-meet", and Open Source Technology Meetups are held regularly.
The university recently hosted the Zonal NASA Convention with 750 students of Architecture from North-Indian Architecture institutions.
Labs and library
The university has over 35 laboratories. Each school has its own reference library besides the University Central Library, which contains more than 50,000 books. Virtual Digital Library facility is also available and it is opening for all students. The University has access to more academic journals through AICTE-INDEST consortium.
UGC has funded following Research Centres established by the university to pursue active research resulting in patents, products & publications:
- Center for Embedded Instrumentation & Networked Controls
- Center of Excellence in Biotechnology
- Center for Advanced Manufacturing
- Center for Energy Management & Water Resource
- Center of Excellence for Entrepreneurial Development
Students have established a unique program "Vikal", under which under-privileged children of nearby community are taught and trained regularly. The children under this program are given free medications from university health care center and are provided one time meal in the students mess.
The University has entered into collaboration with Institutions of eminence in India & abroad including IIT Delhi, IIIM, Kurukshetra University, Thapar University, Aachen University Germany, Kun-Shan University Taiwan to enhance faculty-student exchange and co-operate in Research activities(. The university has recently started hosting the British Council Higher Education Center for convenience of students. The university is among the few institutions in the country which host the Counseling Center of AIEEE-CCB.
Placements and alumni
SMVDU has shown good record of placements in the past few years. TCS, HCL, Syntel, Capgemini, Larsen & Toubro, Robert Bosch GmbH are among the few that hired engineering students from the campus. Airtel, Trident, SBI were among the few that hired students registered for MBA.
SMVDU alumni can be found pursuing higher studies in IISc, IITs, NITs, IIMs and some universities abroad. SMVDU alumni can also be found working in companies like Akamai, Yahoo, SAP Labs, Samsung, Cisco, Accenture, Cognizant, Huawei, Dell, Qualcomm, Amazon, Microsoft, International Papers, McKinsey, Nokia and HP.
It is believed that the land acquired by the University was not acquired in accordance with the law. But later the culprits were found in the State Revenue Department and the allegation on the University was proven to be false.
- "SMVDU Facts and History". Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "Mata Vaishno Devi University or university of "sexual" harassment – Early Times Newspaper Jammu Kashmir". Earlytimes.in. 16 May 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- PTI Feb 8, 2014, 03.35PM IST. "Universities with innovative spirit can take J-K to new heights: Omar Abdullah". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "President Addresses Third Convocation @SMVDU : Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University". Smvdu.net.in. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Campus Information
- "S.Ghoah associates The buildings designed by S.Ghosh.". Sghosh.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
-  Archived 8 October 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Academic Structure of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University". Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Daily Excelsior CB seizes land record from DC office". Dailyexcelsior.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Early times report". Earlytimes.in. 9 November 2010. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "CB records statements of SMVDU land compensation victims vRs 10,000 per kanal land compensated against actual rate of 90,000 per kanal – Early Times Newspaper Jammu Kashmir". Earlytimes.in. 24 November 2010. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University.|