Shri Ram College of Commerce
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय
"From darkness lead me to light"
|Principal||Dr. R.P. Rustagi (Officiating)|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Shri Ram College of Commerce or SRCC is a college affiliated to the University of Delhi granting undergraduate and graduate degrees. Founded in 1926 in New Delhi, it is one of the oldest institutes of higher learning in Commerce and Economics in India. Current students and former students of the college are colloquially known as SRites.
SRCC was established by educationist and industrialist, late Lala Shri Ram. Apart from SRCC, he also owned the company DCM Shriram. The institute was established first in Daryaganj and shifted to its present location in the North Campus, Delhi University in 1957. The present location is a 17 acres (69,000 m2) campus with educational and recreational areas.
Courses and departments
The institute offers courses in the commerce and economics streams only. The undergraduate and graduate programs offered are -
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honors)
- Bachelor of Arts - Economics (Honors)
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Arts - Economics
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
The institute started awarding undergraduate degrees in 1932 and graduate degrees in 1948. It received its present name and form in 1951. Although it has accepted female students since 1933, it became truly co-educational only in 1957. The institute started an International Business MBA equivalent course in 1999, called the "Post Graduate Diploma in Global Business Operations" (GBO).
Student exchange program
Sciences Po and the Shri Ram College of Commerce of New Delhi have recently created a student exchange program. This new program brings the number of Sciences Po’s university partners in India to nine. 42 students from Sciences Po spent their third year abroad in India in the 2010-11 academic year. In addition, students from SRCC along with students of Miranda House spent six days in Utrecht representing India as part of The Indo-Dutch collaborative program between the Shri Ram College of Commerce, Miranda House and HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht in 2012. Besides this, the college's student exchange program saw students from Schreyer Honors College of Pennsylvania, USA and students of SRCC participate as part of the Penn State-SRCC Collaborative program in the same year.
Center for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship
In 2015, Shri Ram College of Commerce became the first undergraduate commerce college in India to set up a center for startups. The operational cost of Center for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship is borne by NITI Aayog and other government agencies. Initial funding came from the alumni network of the college. The Center was opened at the campus in presence of global alumni and representatives of some successful startups. It aims to tap the potential of the students and alumni as well as explore government initiatives to foster the spirit of entrepreneurship as well as give the space to create new products.
- Lieutenant General Rajan Bakhshi, senior Indian Army officer
- Bhim Sain Bassi Ex-Commissioner of Police, Delhi,
- Arun Jaitley, Union Finance, Corporate Affairs and Information & Broadcasting Affairs Minister
- Vijay Jolly, senior politician
- Rana Kapoor, banker, CEO, YES Bank
- Rajat Sharma, chairman and editor in chief of India TV
- Nimrat Kaur, actress
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, filmmaker
- Surinder Mehta, Founder of Prime Group and Padma Shri awardee
- Bingu wa Mutharika, former President of Malawi
- Jitin Prasada, politician
- Sanjeev Sanyal, economist, environmentalist
- Rajan Saxena, Vice Chancellor - NMIMS, Mumbai and Padma Shri awardee
- Ruchir Sharma, Head of Global Emerging Markets Equity Team, Morgan Stanley
- Analjit Singh, chairman, Max India ltd.
- Lalit Suri, hotelier
- St. Stephen's College, Delhi
- Hans Raj College, Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
- Jai Hind College, Mumbai
- "Be A Global Manager", TNN, November 29, 2004
- New agreement in India with Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi06/05/2010:
- "Dr. Rajan Saxena, Vice Chancellor, Narsee Monjee Institute of Management & Higher Studies". Progressive Maharashtra. 2015. Retrieved November 21, 2015.