Shri Ram College of Commerce
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|Motto||तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय
|Principal||Dr. Ashok Sehgal(Officiating Principal)|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Shri Ram College of Commerce or SRCC is one of the colleges within University of Delhi granting undergraduate and graduate degrees. Founded in 1926 in New Delhi, it is one of the oldest and most prestigious institutes of higher learning in Commerce and Economics in India. Current under-graduate students and former students of the college are colloquially known as SRites.
History & evolution
SRCC was established by educationist and industrialist, late Lala Shri Ram. Apart from SRCC, he also owned the erstwhile famous company, DCM Shriram. The institute was established first in Daryaganj and shifted to its present location in the North Campus, Delhi University only in 1957. The present location is 17 acres (69,000 m2) campus with large educational and recreational areas.
Courses and departments
The institute is highly focussed into areas of expertise and offers courses in the commerce and economics streams only. The undergraduate and graduate programs offered are -
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honors)
- Bachelor of Arts - Economics (Honors)
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Arts - Economics
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
SRCC started awarding undergraduate degrees in 1932 and graduate degrees in 1948. It received its present name and form in 1951. Although SRCC has accepted female students since 1933, it became truly co-educational only in 1957. The institute started an International Business MBA equivalent course in 1999, called the "Post Graduate Diploma in Global Business Operations" (GBO).
The college has a Placement Cell that overlooks the placement process. Some prominent regular visitors include Citi Bank, Bain & Co., Google, Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, Godrej, Reckitt Benckiser, McKinsey & Co., Mitsubishi, Grand Thornton, Ernst & Young, Reliance Industries Ltd, Towers Watson, D.E. Shaw, American Express, Axis Bank, RSA Acturial Services, Education Initiatives, CRISIL, Stellar Properties and Essex Lake Consulting.
Student exchange program
Sciences Po and the Shri Ram College of Commerce of New Delhi have recently created a student exchange program. This new program brings the number of Sciences Po’s university partners in India to nine. 42 students from Sciences Po spent their third year abroad in India in the 2010-11 academic year.
- Arun Jaitley, Union Finance,Corporate Affairs and Information & Broadcasting Affairs Minister
- Lieutenant General Rajan Bakhshi, senior Indian Army officer
- Rana Kapoor, banker, CEO, YES Bank
- Pramod Bhasin Non Executive Vice President, Chairman, Former President and CEO of Genpact
- Sanjeev Sanyal, economist, environmentalist
- Vijay Jolly, senior politician
- Anshu Jain, Co-CEO, Deutsche Bank
- Bingu wa Mutharika, former President of Malawi
- Lalit Suri, hotelier
- Gulshan Grover, actor
- Rajat Sharma, senior journalist India TV
- Analjit Singh, chairman, Max India ltd.
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, filmmaker
- Ruchir Sharma, Head of Global Emerging Markets Equity Team, Morgan Stanley
- Jitin Prasada
- Nimrat Kaur, actress
- Vijay Jain, founder and CEO Orra Jewellery
- "Be A Global Manager", TNN, November 29, 2004
- New agreement in India with Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi06/05/2010: