|Mayor of Mumbai|
|Preceded by||Datta Dalvi|
|Succeeded by||Shraddha Jadhav|
|Political party||Shiv Sena|
Shubha Raul (born 1967) was the Mayor (2007–09) of the Indian metropolis Mumbai for a period of 33 months. She was elected to the post on 10 March 2007 and was the third woman mayor of the 124-year-old civic body. She also served as a corporator representing the northern Mumbai suburb of Dahisar, and was on crucial standing committees of the Bombay Municipal Corporation (BMC) for over two years.
She lives in Borivili, Mumbai. She is 40 years old (in 2007). She has two daughters – 15-year-old Tanvi and 12-year-old Mayuri. Her husband Umesh is a horticultural manager with ONGC.
During her tenure as Mayor for Mumbai, which ended in November 2009, Shubha Raul is satisfied about two achievements: eco-friendly Ganesh festival by setting up artificial ponds and ban on hookah parlours during her tenure.
She belongs to Raul community – a sub sect of Mali community in Maharashtra. This caste is one of the backward classes listed by the Maharashtra government.
Her tenure had also been controversial: she wanted Ganesh idol height reduced, adopted a cow and kept it in her bungalow without licence and went on seven foreign tours apart from cracking down on hookah parlours.
- "Shiv Sena's Shraddha Jadhav is new Mumbai mayor". The Times of India. 1 December 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "Sena woman elected Mumbai Mayor", The Hindu, 11 March 2007. Accessed 11 March 2007
- "10 dead as Mumbai building collapses". Times of India. 2007-07-19. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- Upadhyaya, Uma; Naresh Kamath (2007-03-10). "Shubha Raul elected Mumbai Mayor". rediff.com. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- S. Ashar, "Shubha Raul, an ayurveda medic, is the new Mumbai mayor" dnaindia.com 10 March 2007.
- CENTRAL LIST OF OTHER BACKWARD CLASSES. ncbc.nic.in
- Troubles in both camps but Sena favourite to retain Mayor’s post. indianexpress.com. December 1, 2009
|This article about a mayor in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Maharashtra politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|