(with autonomous sub-provincial status)
Shunfengshan Park in Shunde
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||806 km2 (311 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|Cantonese Jyutping||seon6 dak1 keoi1|
|Cantonese Yale||Seuhndāk Kēui|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Shùndé Qū|
|Alternative Chinese name|
|Cantonese Jyutping||seon6 dak1|
Shunde District is a district in the city of Foshan in the Pearl River Delta, Guangdong Province, China. Once a traditional agricultural county, it has become one of the most affluent counties in Guangdong and mainland China. Since 2009, it is administrated independently of Foshan city, answerable directly to the Guangdong provincial government.
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Daliang Subdistrict||大良街道||Dàliáng Jiēdào||404,309||80.19|
|Ronggui Subdistrict||容桂街道||Róngguì Jiēdào||449,687||80.17|
|Leliu Subdistrict||勒流街道||Lēiliú Jiēdào||252,364||90.84|
|Lunjiao Subdistrict||伦教街道||Lúnjiào Jiēdào||184,479||59.21|
|Beijiao Town||北滘镇||Běijiào Zhèn||270,310||92.41|
|Lecong Town||乐从镇||Lècóng Zhèn||259,795||77.55|
|Jun'an Town||均安镇||Jūn'ān Zhèn||141,736||79.36|
|Xingtan Town||杏坛镇||Xìngtán Zhèn||144,537||122.07|
|Chencun Town||陈村镇||Chéncūn Zhèn||135,686||50.92|
|Longjiang Town||龙江镇||Lóngjiāng Zhèn||221,881||73.78|
Unique as a district of any prefecture-level city in China, Shunde has been granted a degree of prefecture-level administrative autonomy over certain matters, notably, economic development. It is independent of Foshan city and has been answerable directly to the Guangdong Provincial government since 2009.
Since the implementation of policies related to reform and openness began in 1978, the people of this area were given full control over their geographical position and culture. This has allowed Shunde, once a traditional agricultural county, to gradually develop into a modern industrial boomtown. Shunde was approved as a pilot city for the comprehensive reform of Guangdong in 1993, and also for taking the lead in accomplishing modernization in 1999. From 2000 to 2003, Shunde was ranked first among China's top 100 counties for Basic Economic Competitiveness for four consecutive years (released by National Bureau of Statistics of China). In 2005, Shunde's GDP was 2,170 billion yuan.
Situated in the fertile Pearl River Delta, the its economy was once dominated by agriculture, fisheries and silk farming. Since the Chinese economic reform, this has been superseded by industrial manufacturing and development, especially the manufacturing of furniture and electric appliances. Some mainland Chinese product brands like Kelon or Midea are made in Shunde. Recently a new technology industrial park has also been opened in this area, featuring car manufacturers such as Toyota. Galanz, an appliance maker, has its headquarters in Shunde District.
Today, this area has become one of the most affluent counties in Guangdong and mainland China (according to official information from the Chinese government and the United Nations). The GDP reached 127.5 billion yuan in 2007, an annual increase of 18%, and GDP per capita reached 107,991 yuan (ca. US$14,200).
Tourist attractions include the Qinghui Garden, which features fish ponds surrounded by osmanthus, bamboo and mulberry bushes, as well as the Bruce Lee Memorial Museum located in Jun'an. Shunfengshan Park was opened to the public in 2004 and has a memorial archway which is 88 metres (289 ft) wide and 38 metres (125 ft) high. Baolin Temple is accessible through the park.
Travelling from Shunde is easy with many different options. There are ferries and buses that go directly to Hong Kong, including an option to Hong Kong International Airport. Bus tickets can be purchased at the New World Centre Hotel. Macau is easily accessible by train, taking less than an hour. Guangzhou is accessible by train, taxi or bus. 
Famous residents and people from the area
- The former Lord Mayor of Melbourne, Australia, John So.
- Real estate developer Lee Shau Kee, and, as of May 2013, the 24th richest person in the world.
- Real estate developer Yang Guoqiang
- Famous actor Law Kar Ying
- Hong Kong real estate developer Lee Shau Kee
One possible translation of the demonym for Shunde(Shuntak) might be Shuntakese
- 顺德基本概况 (in Chinese). Shunde People's Government of Foshan. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- 历史沿革 (in Chinese). Government of Shunde. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- shi, Guo wu yuan ren kou pu cha ban gong; council, Guo jia tong ji ju ren kou he jiu ye tong ji si bian = Tabulation on the 2010 population census of the people's republic of China by township / compiled by Population census office under the state; population, Department of; statistics, employment statistics national bureau of (2012). Zhongguo 2010 nian ren kou pu cha fen xiang, zhen, jie dao zi liao (Di 1 ban. ed.). Beijing Shi: Zhongguo tong ji chu ban she. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- "广东GDP总量超新加坡香港" (in Chinese). Government of Shunde. Jan 26, 2006.
- 传统产业 (in Chinese). Government of Shunde. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Contact Us." Galanz. Retrieved on May 23, 2015. "Address: No.25, Ronggui South Rd, Shunde District, Foshan City, Guangdong Province, China" and Chinese address: Foshan: "地址：广东省佛山市顺德区容桂大道南25号"
- "Qinghui Garden". CITS.net. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- 顺峰山简介 (in Chinese). July 24, 2009.
- "Bloomberg Billionaires Index". Retrieved 1 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shunde.|