|History of Armenia|
Shupria (Shubria) or Arme-Shupria (Armenian: Շուպրիա; Akkadian: Armani-Subartu from the 3rd millennium BC) was a Hurrian kingdom, known from Assyrian sources from the 13th century BC onward, in what is now known as the Armenian Highlands, to the southwest of Lake Van, bordering on Ararat proper. The capital was Ubbumu. Some scholars have linked the district in the area, Arme or Armani, to the name Armenia. In medieval Islamic science were knowledge, based on ancient sources, that people of Subar(Subartu,Shupria) and ancient Armenians(Armanum,Armani) are from the same descendance, what was written by famous ottoman writer and explorer Evliya Çelebi(Derviş Mehmed Zillî) in the middle of XVII century in his most important work "Seyāḥat-nāme"(Book IV, Chapter 41).
Weidner interpreted textual evidence to indicate that after the Hurrian king Shattuara of Mitanni was defeated by Adad-nirari I of the Middle Assyrian Empire in the early 13th century BC, he became ruler of a reduced vassal state Shubria, or Subartu. The name Subartu (Sumerian: Shubur) for the region is attested much earlier, from the time of the earliest Mesopotamian records (mid-3rd millennium BC) although the term, during Sumerian times, appears to have described Upper Mesopotamia (Assyria).
Armani-Subartu (Hurri-Mitanni), Hayasa-Azzi and other populations of the region such as the Nairi fell under Urartian (Kingdom of Ararat) rule in the 9th century BC, and their descendants, according to most scholars, later contributed to the ethnogenesis of the Armenians.
- Assyrian and Babylonian Chronicles, Albert Kirk Grayson, p. 263.
- Cambridge Ancient History p.276
- Armenians article, Great Soviet Encyclopedia[dead link]
- Mitannian (Armenian) origin
- Jacquetta Hawkes, The First Great Civilizations "Yet the Hurrians did not disappear from history. Away to the North in their Armenian homeland, they entrenched themselves and build up the kingdom of Urartu."; M. Chahin, The Kingdom of Armenia, "The new kingdom of Urartu, which proved to be the stronghold of the Hurrian race."