Aleksandra Lange Baryshnikov
March 15, 1981
|Residence||Providence, Rhode Island|
|Education||Stillwater Area High School, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||Marlboro College|
|Occupation||Dancer, choreographer, actress, educator|
|Relatives||Anna Baryshnikov (half-sister)|
Aleksandra Lange "Shura" Baryshnikov (born March 15, 1981) is an American dancer, choreographer, dance educator, and actress.
Aleksandra Lange Baryshnikov is the daughter of ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov and actress Jessica Lange. She has five half-siblings; three on her father's side, including actress Anna Baryshnikov, and two on her mother's side. Baryshnikov trained in classical ballet as a child, and grew up accompanying her mother to different filming locations. In high school Baryshnikov ran track, rode horses, and played field hockey. She went on to attend Marlboro College in Vermont, where she majored in American studies and also studied theatre and contemporary dance. While at Marlboro she was a member of the student a cappella group Five-O'Clock Bells.
Baryshnikov is the head of Movement at the Brown University / Trinity Repertory Company MFA Program in Acting and Directing as well as a teaching associate in the Department of Theatre Arts and Performance Studies at Brown University, teaching contact improvisation, movement, and dance. She has worked as a choreographer and movement consultant for Trinity Repertory Company, The Wilbury Theatre Group, and Elemental Theatre Collective. As a freelance dancer, she has performed in works by Heidi Henderson, Ali Kenner-Brodsky and Betsy Miller. She has also danced with Aerplaye Dance, American Dance Legacy Initiative, Festival Ballet Providence, Bridge Rep of Boston, Elemental Theatre Collective and Lostwax Multimedia Dance. She is on the faculty at Festival Ballet Providence School and has taught movement at Earthdance in Plainfield, Massachusetts, and at Salve Regina University, Connecticut College, Dean College, Rhode Island College, and MIT. She is also a dance teacher at the Moses Brown School. She trained in Viewpoints improvisational techniques with the SITI Company under Anne Bogart. She is a member of Actors' Equity Association. Baryshnikov is the co-founder, along with Danielle Davidson, of the Doppelganger Dance Collective.
Her performance work has been presented by the RISD Museum, Providence Fringe Festival, the Institute at Brown for Environment and Society, and in the Moving Arts Lab at Earthdance.
- "Shura Baryshnikov's famous parents come to see her show in Boston - The Boston Globe". bostonglobe.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "JESSICA LANGE, FILM STAR WHOSE FUTURE IS HERE". The New York Times. December 20, 1982. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Staff, Journal. "Baryshnikov's daughter to teach dance at Providence's Moses Brown School". providencejournal.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Gray, Channing. "Shura Baryshnikov is stepping out on her own, including a role at Trinity Rep". providencejournal.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov". wordpress.com. September 30, 2015. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov - Theatre Arts and Performance Studies". brown.edu. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Chatting With Shura Baryshnikov". eastsidemonthly.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov - Earthdance". earthdance.net. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "shurabaryshnikov". shurabaryshnikov.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "doppelganger-dance". doppelgangerdancecollective.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov - Marlboro College". marlboro.edu. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Spotlight: Shura Baryshnikov - SITI Company". siti.org. Retrieved January 23, 2017.