Aleksandra Lange Baryshnikov
March 5, 1981
Stillwater, Minnesota, U.S.
|Education||Stillwater Area High School, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||Marlboro College|
|Occupation||Dancer, choreographer, actress, educator|
|Relatives||Anna Baryshnikov (half-sister)|
Aleksandra Lange "Shura" Baryshnikov (born March 5, 1981) is an American dancer, choreographer, dance educator, and actress.
Aleksandra Lange Baryshnikov is the daughter of ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov and actress Jessica Lange. She is of Finnish descent through her maternal grandmother. She has five half-siblings; three on her father's side, including actress Anna Baryshnikov, and two on her mother's side. Baryshnikov trained in classical ballet as a child, and grew up accompanying her mother to different filming locations. In high school Baryshnikov competed in diving, ran track, rode horses, and played field hockey. She went on to attend Marlboro College in Vermont, where she majored in American studies and also studied theatre and contemporary dance. While at Marlboro she was a member of the student a cappella group Five-O'Clock Bells.
Baryshnikov is the head of Movement at the Brown University / Trinity Repertory Company MFA Program in Acting and Directing as well as a teaching associate in the Department of Theatre Arts and Performance Studies at Brown University, teaching contact improvisation, movement, and dance. She has worked as a choreographer and movement consultant for Trinity Repertory Company, The Wilbury Theatre Group, and Elemental Theatre Collective. As a freelance dancer, she has performed in works by Heidi Henderson, Ali Kenner-Brodsky and Betsy Miller. She has also danced with Aerplaye Dance, American Dance Legacy Initiative, Festival Ballet Providence, Bridge Rep of Boston, Elemental Theatre Collective and Lostwax Multimedia Dance. She is on the faculty at Festival Ballet Providence School and has taught movement at Earthdance in Plainfield, Massachusetts, and at Salve Regina University, Connecticut College, Dean College, Rhode Island College, and MIT. She is also a dance teacher at the Moses Brown School. She trained in Viewpoints improvisational techniques with the SITI Company under Anne Bogart. She is a member of Actors' Equity Association. Baryshnikov is the co-founder, along with Danielle Davidson, of the Doppelganger Dance Collective.
She starred in a production of Oscar Wilde's Salome at Boston's Bridge Repertory Theater and was a cast member in Trinity Rep's production of the musical Oklahoma! She played Orlando in Gamm Theatre's 2018 production of As You Like It.
- Winters, John J. (March 15, 2017). "Sam Shepard: A Life". Counterpoint Press – via Google Books.
- "Shura Baryshnikov's famous parents come to see her show in Boston - The Boston Globe". bostonglobe.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "JESSICA LANGE, FILM STAR WHOSE FUTURE IS HERE". The New York Times. December 20, 1982. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Myllykoski, Paula (September 27, 2019). "Tiesitkö, että Jessica Lange on suomensukuinen? Hollywood-tähti näyttelee häikäilemätöntä isoäitiä Netflix-uutuudessa". Ilta-Sanomat (in Finnish). Retrieved December 27, 2021.
Äitinsä puolelta suomensukuinen Jessica Lange
- Staff, Journal. "Baryshnikov's daughter to teach dance at Providence's Moses Brown School". providencejournal.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Gray, Channing. "Shura Baryshnikov is stepping out on her own, including a role at Trinity Rep". providencejournal.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov". wordpress.com. September 30, 2015. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov - Theatre Arts and Performance Studies". brown.edu. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Chatting With Shura Baryshnikov". eastsidemonthly.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov - Earthdance". earthdance.net. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "shurabaryshnikov". shurabaryshnikov.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "doppelganger-dance". doppelgangerdancecollective.com. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Shura Baryshnikov - Marlboro College". marlboro.edu. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- O'Brien, Larry. "BWW REVIEW: AS YOU LIKE IT at the GAMM THEATRE is a Blue Thumbs Up". BroadwayWorld.com.
- "Spotlight: Shura Baryshnikov - SITI Company". siti.org. Retrieved January 23, 2017.