Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna
|Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna|
|Participant in the Second Libyan Civil War|
|Active||12 December 2014 – 11 May 2018 (3 years, 5 months, 4 weeks and 2 days) |
|Leaders||Salim Derby (-2015) †|
Yusuf Bin Tahir
Nasser Akr †
Ateyah Al-Shaari (-2018)
|Area of operations||Derna|
|Became||Derna Protection Force|
Operation Dignity coalition
|Battles and war(s)||Libyan Civil War (2014–present)|
The Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna was a coalition of Islamist militias that advocate the implementation of Sharia law within Derna, Libya. Besides seeking to implement strict social mores in Derna, the alliance was known for its open opposition to Khalifa Haftar and the Libyan affiliates of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
The Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna was created by former Libyan Islamic Fighting Group member Salim Derby on 12 December 2014. The group frequently clashed with ISIL in Derna in disputes over power and resources in the city. In June 2015, ISIL gunmen killed senior Shura Council leader Nasser Akr. The group responded by declaring a Jihad against ISIL. Salim Derby was killed on 11th of June 2015, As a result of the ensuing clashes.
At its founding, the council included the following groups:
- Truitte, Kevin. "The Derna Mujahideen Shura Council: A Revolutionary Islamist Coalition in Libya" (PDF). www.universiteitleiden.nl. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "War in Libya and its Futures: State of Play - Islamist Forces (2)". Red (Team) Analysis.
- "Al-Qaida-linked militants attack IS affiliate in Libya". Associated Press. 10 June 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Osama Bin Laden's Files: The Arab Revolutions". Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
- Al-Arabi, Mohamed (13 February 2018). "فيديو يكشف علاقة إرهابيي درنة بمطلوبين لمصر" [Video reveals ties between Derna's terrorists and Egypt wanted militants]. Al Arabiya. Retrieved 10 October 2018.