Shushan Covered Bridge
|Location||Spans Batten Kill off NY 22, Shushan, New York|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architectural style||Town lattice plank truss|
|MPS||Covered Bridges of Washington County TR / Buskirk, Rexleigh, Eagleville, and Shushan Covered Bridges|
|NRHP Reference #||78003460|
|Added to NRHP||March 8, 1978|
Shushan Bridge is a covered bridge over the Batten Kill in the hamlet of Shushan in Washington County, New York, near Vermont. It is one of 29 surviving historic covered bridges in New York State, and one of 4 surviving in Washington County.
It was built in 1858 by builder Milton Stevens.
Town and Howe truss designs were patented by Ithiel Town in 1820 and William Howe (architect) in 1840, respectively. The Shushan Bridge employs "the patented Town lattice truss, consisting of top and bottom chords of laminated wood plank, and a web of diagonal wood planks connected by wood trunnels at each point of intersection".
It was individually inventoried by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation in 1977.
It is one of four Washington County covered bridges submitted for listing in the National Register of Historic Places in one multiple property submission. The others are the Buskirk Bridge, the Rexleigh Bridge, and Eagleville Bridge. All four were listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 8, 1972.
The Shushan bridge was closed to traffic in 1962, and was left abandoned for 10 years, then saved by local preservation efforts. Now it is operated as a seasonal museum.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Raymond W. Smith (December 1977). "Covered Bridges of Washington County TR / Buskirk, Rexleigh, Eagleville, and Shushan Covered Bridges" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2010-06-12.
- Smith, R.W. (December 1977). "Building/Structure Inventory: Shushan Covered Bridge". Division of Historic Preservation, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- Shushan Covered Bridge (official site?)
- Shushan Bridge, at New York State Covered Bridge Society
- Shushan Bridge, at Covered Bridges of the Northeast USA, a website developed by Hank Brickel
|This article about a historic property or district in Washington County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a bridge in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New York museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|