This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shyamaprasad during the filming of his latest feature 'A Sunday'
|Born||7 November 1960|
|Residence||Kuravankonam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|Years active||1998 – present|
|Awards||Gollapudi Srinivas Award|
National Film Awards
Kerala State Film Awards
Filmfare Awards South
Shyamaprasad (born 7 November 1960) is an Indian filmmaker, screenwriter, and actor from Kerala. He is best known for directing artistic and meaningful films which have earned appreciation from both the critics and general viewers alike in Malayalam cinema.
Shyamaprasad was born on 7 November 1960 at Palakkad, as the younger son of the veteran BJP politician O. Rajagopal and late Dr. Santhakumari. He has an elder brother named Vivekanand. He was named after Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee, the founder of Bharatiya Jan Sangh After completing his degree in Theatre Arts from the School of Drama and Fine Arts, Thrissur, Calicut University, Shyamaprasad received the Commonwealth Scholarship in 1989 and did his Master in Media Production at the Hull University, England. He worked as an intern at the BBC and Channel 4, to Indian television and redefined the parameters of telefilms and documentaries in Malayalam Television with Doordarshan. He continues to push the frontiers of television in his creative role currently serves as the President (Programming), Amrita TV.
His features for TV and cinema have won him several national and state awards namely Agnisakshi and Akale, produced by Tom George Kolath, had been adjudged the best regional cinema films of the nation in 1998 and 2004. These films also swept as many as nine state awards in all major technical categories including the award for Best Director.
For television, he has adapted the works of Anton Chekhov (Vivahalochana); Albert Camus (The Just); Vaikom Muhammad Basheer (Viswavikhyathamaya Mookku); Madhavikkutty (Venalinte Ozhivu); N Mohanan (Peruvazhiyile Kariyilakal); Sarah Joseph (Nilavariyunnu), N. P. Mohammed (Ullurukkam) and K. Radhakrishnan (Shamanathalam). He was awarded the Best Television Director prize for the year 1993, 1994, and 1996.
As a mark of the respect for his talent and experience in the visual media Shyamaprasad had been invited to serve twice as the jury of the National Film Awards. His 2007 production Ore Kadal, based on a Bengali novel by Sunil Gangopadhyay, had an enthusiastic reception by the popular audience in Kerala and was chosen as the inaugural film of the Indian Panorama at the International Film Festival of India 2007.
His film Ritu (Seasons) released in early August 2009 and was received well by mainstream audiences as well as lovers of middle cinema. Film critics have rated it highly for its novel concept, excellent music and direction.
He the winner of Best Director prize of the fiercely contested Kerala State Film Awards 5 times- namely for his films Agnisakshi, Akale, Elektra, Artist and Oru Njayarazhcha.
He is the son of politician, former Union Minister and MLA, O. Rajagopal and doctor Shantha Kumari. He is married to Sheeba and has two children—Vishnu and Shivakamy. He is currently residing in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|1998||Kallu Kondoru Pennu|
|2002||Bokshu, the Myth||Also co-writer|
English film, Indo-American co-production
|2007||Ore Kadal||Also writer|
|2009||Ritu||Screened at the Valladolid International Film Festival|
|2010||Kerala Cafe||Segment: Off Season|
|2013||English: An Autumn in London|
2019 A Sunday Writer & Director
|2013||Pattam Pole||Himself||Cameo appearance|
|2014||1 by Two||Dr. Cheriyan|
|2015||Loham||Rajeev Sathyamoorthy||Cameo appearance|
|2016||Karinkunnam 6'S||Mukul Kesavan|
|2018||Abrahaminte Santhathikal||Issac||Cameo appearance|
|2018||Hey Jude||Interview Board Member||Cameo appearance|
- 1998 – National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam: Agnisakshi
- 2004 – National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam: Akale
- 2007 – National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam: Ore Kadal
- 1998 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Film : Agnisakshi
- 1998 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Director : Agnisakshi
- 2004 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Director : Akale
- 2004 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Film : Akale
- 2007 – Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Film : Ore Kadal
- 2010 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Director : Elektra
- 2013 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Director : Artist
- 2018 – Kerala State Film Award for Best Director : Oru Njayarazhcha
- 2018 - Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Film : Oru Njayarazhcha
- 1999 – Filmfare Award for Best Director – Malayalam : Agnisakshi
- 2013 – Filmfare Award for Best Director – Malayalam : Artist
- 1999 - Kerala Film Critics Association Awards for Best Film : Agnisakshi
- 1999 - Kerala Film Critics Association Awards for Best Director : Agnisakshi
- 2007 - Kerala Film Critics Association Awards for Best Film : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Kerala Film Critics Association Awards for Best Director : Ore Kadal
- Other awards
- 1999 - Asianet Film Award for Best Director : Agnisakshi
- 1999 - Gollapudi Srinivas Award : Agnisakshi
- 1999 - Aravindan Puraskaram for Best Debutant Director : Agnisakshi
- 2004 - Film Fans Association Awards : Akale
- 2004 - Mathrubhumi Film Awards for Special Jury Prize : Akale
- 2007 - FIPRESCI Award for Best Malayalam Film at IFFK : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - NETPAC Award for Best Malayalam film at IFFK : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - The German Star at the Stuttgart Film Festival : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Amrita Film Award for Best Director : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - AMMA Annual Movie Award for Best Film : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - John Abraham Award for Best Feature Film : Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Malayalam Viewers Award for Best Film : Ore Kadal
- Metromatinee, Shyamaprasad Profile
- shyamaprasad.info, Life Etc
- "Hey Jude was the right choice for my foray into Malayalam industry: Trisha". www.deccanchronicle.com/. 30 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.