|Member of Parliament
|Preceded by||Sushil Kumar|
|Succeeded by||Nikhil kumar|
26 November 1942 |
|As of 7 September, 2009
Shyama Singh (Hindi: श्यामा सिंह) (born 26 November 1942) is an Indian politician and a former Member of Parliament from the Aurangabad (Bihar) (Lok Sabha constituency) and is married to the former Governor of Nagaland and Kerala, Nikhil Kumar, who was also elected to the 14th Lok Sabha from the same constituency in Bihar. She joined Congress at the  initiative of Rajiv Gandhi, the late Prime Minister of India, whom she met at a social event in Delhi.As a parliamentarian,her crowning achievement was reviving the Nabinagar Super Thermal Power Project which her father-in-law and veteran Bihar leader Late Satyendra Narayan Singh,affectionately called as Chhote Saheb had conceived in 1989 as the then Chief Minister of Bihar.
She is daughter of Indian Civil Service officer Sir T. P. Singh who had also served as independent India's first finance secretary and her mother Madhuri Singh, has been a two-term member of Parliament from Purnea. She completed her school education from Patna. Thereafter, she graduated in History from Indraprastha College for Women. Her elder brother is former bureaucrat and Rajya Sabha MP N. K. Singh (A 1964 batch IAS officer of the Bihar cadre) who has served as India's Revenue Secretary and also Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister. Her younger brother Uday Singh also twice represented the Purnea Lok Sabha constituency of Bihar in Lok Sabha. Her father-in-law and former Bihar Chief Minister Late Chhote Saheb (S.N. Sinha), also represented Aurangabad (Bihar) (Lok Sabha constituency)for seven consecutive terms in the Lok Sabha.
First Lady of Nagaland
Her husband took the oath of office and secrecy as the Governor of Nagaland on 15 October 2009 and she became the first lady of Nagaland.She is an expert gardener,the grandeur of her garden at 28 Akbar Road, occupied by her family for some 30 years, was phenomenal.It invariably won awards at all Delhi’s flower shows.
First Lady of Kerala
Member of Parliament
Shyama,hailing from a renowned family of bureaucrats in Bihar, successfully contested and represented the Aurangabad parliamentary constituency in the Lok Sabha from 1999-2004.As a MP, She initiated several development projects in Schools, Women's College and a new computer centre was set up in the district.
- Lok Sabha Website. "Shyama Singh MP(13th Lok Sabha)". Official Website. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- "MP-Shyama Singh". Parliament of India. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- "Profyl of nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar". Nagaland Government. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Prabhu Chawla. "N K Singh:India's supercrat". India Today. Retrieved 2004-11-04.
- PTI. "ex Delhi Police Chief Nikhil Kumar sworn in as Nagaland Governor". Press Trust of India. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- The Indian Express. "Constant gardener has left". Official Site. Retrieved 2006-03-12.
- The Relegraph. "Shyama Sinha's house-Delhi's best kept garden". Official Site. Retrieved 2006-03-12.
- Mere Sansmaran, an autobiography by Dr. Anugrah Narayan Sinha
- Anugrah Abhinandan Granth samiti. 1947 Anugrah Abhinandan Granth. Bihar.
- Anugrah Narayan centenary year celebration Committee. 1987. Bihar Bibhuti : Vayakti Aur Kriti , Bihar.
- Bimal Prasad (editor). 1980. A Revolutionary's Quest: Selected Writings of Jayaprakash Narayan. Oxford University Press, Delhi.