Seraj in 2014 at BRAC University
Shykh Seraj (born 7 September 1954) is a Bangladeshi journalist, media personality and agriculture development activist. He was awarded Ekushey Padak in 1995 and Independence Day Award in 2018 by the Government of Bangladesh.
Seraj co-anchored a television series Mati O Manush (Men and Soil) on Bangladesh Television since 1982. The television program featured investigative documentaries and in-depth reporting and points out solutions to the various problems that farmers face. In his work, Seraj visits remote areas, talks with farmers, conducts filming, searches for stories, and encourages young educated generations to engage in farming. In 1999, he became the director of News at Channel i. In 2004, Seraj started a new programme at Channel i named Hridoye Mati O Manush (Soil and Men in Heart) based on the format of his earlier program Mati O Manush.
Seraj created a game show where contestants compete for best farm skills.
Awards and honors
- Nattya Sheba Purashker, 1983
- Rotary International Award, 1989
- Rotary International Award, 1991
- US Ashoka Fellowship for poverty elimination television program (1992)
- Rotary International Award, 1993
- National Youth Award, 1993
- National Poultry Award, 1993
- National Fish Fortnight Award, 1994
- Presidents' Award on Agriculture, 1995
- Ekushey Padak (1995)
- National Fish Fortnight Award, 1996
- Rotary International Award, 1996
- Young Asia Television Award,2002
- Sheltech Award, 2004
- Entertainment Screen Award 2004
- Cultural Reporters' Award 2004
- Rotary International Award, 2005
- Bangabandhu Gold Medal 2005
- Gold Medal in National Fish Fortnight Award 2005
- Gold Medal in Development of Economy 2005
- Dr. Ibrahim Memorial Gold Medal 2006
- Unitrend 'Son of the Soil' Award 2006
- Bangladesh Economic Association Gold Medal 2006
- World Food Program Media Award 2006
- Rotary International Award, 2007
- Honoured by Sir William Beveridge Foundation, 2009
- UNESCO Bangladesh Journalism Awards, 2009
- Rotary Seed Award, 2009
- A.H. Boerma Award by Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (2009)
- Bangladesh Economic Association Gold Medal
- UK's BCA Golden Jubilee Honour Award, 2010
- House of Commons Honorary Crest, 2011 (UK)
- Dr Ibrahim Memorial Gold Medal
- Ranada Prasad Saha Gold Medal
- Green Award from Birmingham community, 2015
- Gusi Peace Prize, 2015 (Philippines)
- Ranada Prasad Saha Gold Medal 2016
- Independence Day Award, (2018)
- Rahman, Bazlur (2006-02-15). "The Man Who Insipres Rural Folks to be Self-Reliant". Ashoka. Archived from the original on 6 March 2016. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "Shykh Seraj's birthday today". The Daily Star. 7 September 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "একুশে পদকপ্রাপ্ত সুধীবৃন্দ" [Ekushey Padak winners list] (in Bengali). Government of Bangladesh. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Asaduzzaman Noor and Shykh Seraj to receive Independence Day Awards". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "Hridoye Mati O Manush turns nine". Daily Sun. 25 February 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- Rowe, Helen (21 May 2008). "Farmers' game show is hit with city dwellers in Bangladesh". Agence France Presse. Archived from the original on 30 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Ashoka Innovators for the Public". Archived from the original on 28 July 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "A.H. Boerma Award winners". FAO. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Shykh Seraj on Facebook
- Harun ur Rashid. "Friend and philosopher of farmers : Shykh Seraj's exemplary endeavour". The Daily Star.
- Youth Asian TV's documentary on Shykh Seraj