Shymkent International Airport
Shymkent International Airport
Халықаралық Шымкент Әуежайы
|Operator||JSC "Shymkent International Airport"|
|Location||12.6 km (7.8 mi) NW of Shymkent Railway Station, Kazakhstan|
|Elevation AMSL||422 m / 1,385 ft|
Shymkent International Airport (Kazakh: Halyqaralyq S’ymkent A’yejai’y, حالىقارالىق شىمكەنت أۋەجايى; Russian: Международный Аэропорт Шымкент, Meždunarodnyj Aeroport Šymkent) (IATA: CIT, ICAO: UAII) is an airport serving Shymkent in South Kazakhstan Province, Kazakhstan.
In 2004, the airport handled 97,000 passengers.
The basis for the airport was an agricultural airbase built in 1932. From 1933 it started handling passengers and cargo traffic. In 1963 Shymkent airport was relocated to its current location; construction of both the runway and the passenger terminal were finished in 1967. In 2014, passenger traffic reached 440,000 passengers.
After a protocol signed in November 2012 by the governments of Kazakhstan and France, French forces withdrawing from Afghanistan received authorisation to use Shymkent Airport. Military hardware arriving on French aircraft will then be transported by rail to Europe. France has to fund the creation of the infrastructure necessary for the temporary bond storage and the area needed for higher customs control to ensure the trans-shipment operations in Shymkent Airport. It will also finance the acquisition or the rent of loading vehicles to accelerate wagon loading, construction of 400 m (1,300 ft)[clarification needed] of hard surface road, protection of freight in temporary storage and en route on Kazakhstan's railroad.
In 2017, passenger traffic reached 520,000 passengers
Airlines and destinations
|Air Astana||Almaty, Astana|
|Bek Air||Aktau, Almaty, Astana|
|flydubai||Dubai–International (begins 28 December 2018)|
|Qazaq Air||Astana, Aktobe, Almaty, Pavlodar|
|SCAT Airlines||Aktau, Almaty, Astana, Istanbul-Atatürk, Moscow-Vnukovo, Petropavlovsk|
|Ural Airlines||Moscow-Zhukovsky (begins 4 December 2018), St Petersburg (begins 23 December 2018)|
- AIP Kazakhstan Archived 16 June 2013 at Archive.is
- "French Forces Withdrawing from Afghanistan Authorized to Land in Kazakhstan". The Gazette of Central Asia. Satrapia. 30 December 2012.
- L, J (26 October 2015). "AEROFLOT Assumes Transaero Kazakhstan Operation from late-Oct 2015". Airline Route. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- Liu, Jim (2 December 2018). "flydubai adds Chimkent service from late-Dec 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "S7 Airlines открывает новый рейс в Казахстан". S7 Airlines. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- Liu, Jim (20 June 2018). "SCAT adds Shymkent – Istanbul service from June 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- Liu, Jim (9 June 2017). "SCAT adds Petropavlovsk – Shimkent service in S17". Routesonline. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Из Казахстана в Россию откроют 4 авиамаршрута". www.forbes.kz (in Russian). Forbes Kazakhstan. United Media Group. 15 November 2018. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
|This article about an Asian airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kazakhstan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in Kazakhstan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|