|Founded||(2013San Francisco, California) in|
|Defunct||March 27, 2018|
|Fate||Dissolved on March 27, 2018|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Kevin Gibbon (CEO)|
|Website||(Shut Down) shyp.com|
|Footnotes / references|
Shyp was a shipping company that operated in the years 2013–2018. The company picked up, packaged, and shipped items through USPS and other major carriers. The company was founded in San Francisco by Kevin Gibbon, Joshua Scott and Jack Smith. Until 2017, the company operated in New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia.
In 2015, the company launched an Android app to complement its iOS app. Also in that year, Shyp added "Shyp Returns" functionality to its apps whereby shoppers could return items they purchased online from select merchants, including Amazon, Target, and Nordstrom.
Shyp was one of the few on-demand companies made up entirely of employees, not independent contractors. In 2015, the company converted its couriers from independent contractors to full-fledged employees.
In 2017, in an effort to become profitable, Shyp laid off the majority of its staff and ceased operating in New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. In 2018, Shyp CEO Kevin Gibbon announced that the company would shut down and lay off all its employees.
- Gibbon, Kevin (1 October 2013). "How we built Shyp on AngelList and raised $2.1M". Medium. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- Gibbon, Kevin. "I Can't Wait for You to See What We Do Next". LinkedIn. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- Fiegerman, Seph (30 September 2013). "Shyp Raises $2.1 Million to Take the Pain Out of Shipping". Mashable. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Russell, Kyle (29 September 2014). "Shyp Launches In New York City, And Miami Is Next". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- Russell, Kyle (19 November 2014). "Shyp Launches In Miami, Prepares For Los Angeles In Early 2015". TechCrunch. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Lien, Tracey (14 May 2015). "Shyp launches in L.A. to solve 'painful' postal problem". Los Angeles Times.
- Yeung, Ken (30 September 2015). "Shyp launches in Chicago". VentureBeat.
- Heath, Alex (20 July 2017). "Shyp, a startup that wants to kill the post office, is scaling back operations and laying off employees". Business Insider. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- Rao, Leena (April 21, 2015). "Fortune: Shyp, a mobile shipping app, raises $50 million". Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- Russell, Kyle (29 Jan 2015). "Shyp Brings Its On-Demand Shipping App To Android". TechCrunch. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Russell, Kyle (4 Mar 2015). "Shyp Returns Makes It Easy To Send Back Stuff You Buy Online". TechCrunch. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Alba, Davey (July 1, 2015) "Shyp Makes Couriers Employees Before It's Too Big to Change." Wired.com. (Retrieved 1-7-2016.)
- McCracken, Harry (2018-03-27). "How Shyp Sunk: The Rise And Fall Of An On-Demand Startup". Fast Company. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- Gibbon, Kevin (March 27, 2018). "I Can't Wait for You to See What We Do Next". LinkedIn.com.