|Location||Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico|
|Area||2,797 km2 (1,080 sq mi)|
|Designated||1987 (11th session)|
|Region||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Designated||27 November 2003|
With the participation of scientists, technicians, students, fishermen, farmers, rural promotors and administrators, together with regional and international partners, have successfully carried out more than 200 conservation projects basing all conservation actions on scientific and technical information for planning and implementing environmental policies and the proposal of viable solutions for sustainable use of natural resources and focusing their efforts established within eight protected natural areas that include the reefs of Banco Chinchorro, and Xcalak at South of Quintana Roo, Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, Cancun, the island of Cozumel that is located in front of Xcaret and Contoy Island up North, covering 780,000 acres (3,200 km2). These areas lie in parts of all seven Caribbean Sea coastal municipalities of the state, with the largest part being in eastern Felipe Carrillo Puerto Municipality, where the vast majority of Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve lies.
Within the Amigos de Sian Ka'an project objectives are the identification, protection and management of additional areas with high biodiversity value as well as those critical for maintenance of the life cycles of endangered, threatened and migratory species in the Riviera Maya and providing environmental education through books, journals and pamphlets and giving technical assistance and training to Mayan communities working with ecotourism.
A list of some of the species recorded in Sian Ka'an:
- Alouatta pigra (Yucatán black howler monkey)
- Amazona xantholora (yellow-lored amazon)
- Ardea herodias (great blue heron)
- Ateles geoffroyi (Geoffroy’s spider monkey)
- Crocodylus acutus (American crocodile)
- Crocodylus moreletii (Morelet's crocodile)
- Ctenosaura similis (black iguana)
- Cuniculus paca (spotted paca)
- Dasyprocta punctata (Central American agouti)
- Eira barbara (tayra)
- Fregata magnificens (magnificent frigatebird)
- Jabiru mycteria (jabiru)
- Leopardus pardalis (ocelot)
- Leopardus wiedii (margay)
- Meleagris ocellata (ocellated turkey)
- Mycteria americana (wood stork)
- Nasua narica (white-nosed coati)
- Panthera onca (jaguar)
- Pelecanus occidentalis (brown pelican)
- Phalacrocorax brasilianus (neotropic cormorant)
- Phoenicopterus ruber (American flamingo)
- Potos flavus (kinkajou)
- Puma concolor (puma)
- Puma yagouaroundi (jaguarundi)
- Ramphastos sulfuratus (keel-billed toucan)
- Sarcoramphus papa (king vulture)
- Tamandua tetradactyla (tamandua)
- Tapirus bairdii (Baird's tapir)
- Tayassu pecari (white-lipped peccary)
- "Sian Ka'an Core Zone Biosphere Reserve". Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Sian Ka'an". Ramsar Sites Information Service. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "About Sian Ka'an". Archived from the original on 4 February 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Sian Ka'an - UNESCO World Heritage Centre". Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Sian Ka'an". UNESCO. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sian Ka'an.|
- Amigos de Sian Ka'an/Friends of Sian Ka'an (bilingual) conservation group
- Centro Ecologico Sian Ka'an in English and Spanish (dead link)