Location in Kenya
|Formed||March 4th 2013|
|• Governor||Cornel Rasanga|
|• Total||2,496.1 km2 (963.7 sq mi)|
|• Total||842,304 |
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Siaya County is one of the counties in the former Nyanza Province in the southwest part of Kenya. It is bordered by Busia County to the north, Kakamega County and Vihiga County's to the northeast and Kisumu County to the southeast. It shares a water border with Homa Bay County which is located south of Siaya County. The total area of the county is approximately 2,496.1 km². The county lies between latitude 0° 26’ to 0° 18’ north and longitude 33° 58’ east and 34° 33’ west. Siaya has been split up into six new districts. Under the new constitution, the role of districts are still unclear as much of administrative authority is being transferred to the county. The capital is Siaya, even though the largest town is Bondo.
The population in the year 2009 was 842,304.
|Local authorities (councils)|
|* 1999 census. Source: |
|* 1999 census. Sources: , , also added from District Commissioner's Office, Siaya 2001|
|2013||Cornel Amoth Rasanga||ODM||High Court in Kisumu nullified the election on 23 August 2013.|
|—||George Okode||—||County Assembly Speaker elevated to acting governor on 3 September 2013.|
Villages and settlements
- Nyamninia, a village in Yala division of Siaya County
- Nyang'oma Kogelo, a village in Karemo Division of Siaya County
- Sawagongo High School, a school in Siaya County
- Maranda High School, a Boys National school in Siaya County
- Ambira High School, a school in Siaya County
- Ng'iya Girls High School, a Girls school in Siaya County
- Siaya County Website
- Siaya District Development Plan 2002 - 2008
- Map of Siaya District
- "3 Candidates each for Siaya and Kibwezi polls". Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. 20 September 2013. Archived from the original on 1 October 2013.
- "Gazette Notice No. 12736". The Kenya Gazette (Republic of Kenya) CXV (131): 4432. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Otieno, Ricky (5 September 2013). "Speaker to Act As Governor for Siaya". The Star (Kenya). Retrieved 14 September 2013.