Siberia (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Matthew Ross|
|Written by||Scott B. Smith|
|Story by||Stephen Hamel|
|Edited by||Louise Ford|
|Distributed by||Saban Films|
Siberia is a 2018 romantic crime thriller directed by Matthew Ross and written by Scott B. Smith from a story by Stephen Hamel. It stars Keanu Reeves, Ana Ularu, Pasha D. Lychnikoff and Molly Ringwald.
American diamond merchant Lucas Hill (Keanu Reeves) travels to Russia to sell rare blue diamonds to gangster Boris Volkov (Pasha D.Lychnikoff). However, his contact in St. Petersburg, Pyotr (Boris Gulyarin) who had the diamonds has gone missing. Boris threatens Lucas to deliver the diamonds in 48 hours.
Following Pyotr's clues, Lucas arrives at a guest house in Mirny, Siberia. He contacts his wife Gabby (Molly Ringwald) through Skype. He goes to a cafe and starts a fight with two men and the cafe owner Katya (Ana Ularu) saves him. Later, her brother Ivan suspects her of sleeping with Lucas. So she asks him to sleep with her.
Lucas meets Pyotr's brother Andrei who tells him that Pyotr sold the diamonds to a man named Samsonov. Enraged, Lucas goes to Katya's home. They start a passionate affair.￼Lucas also goes bear hunting with Ivan and Katya's other brothers.
Lucas is contacted by Vincent but he turns him off. Lucas returns to Pyotr's apartment in St. Petersburg to find a diamond there. That is real. He checks the one Pyotr sent to him. It's a fake. Lucas meets Boris, along with Katya to show the diamond promising him to return the rest later. Boris seals their deal by becoming brothers by making Lucas force Katya to fellate Boris.
Lucas is met by FSB agents who make Lucas sell fake diamonds, the ones Pyotr tried to sell to Samsonov, to Boris and get the money to the agents. In return, they promise him safe passage to home. Lucas overhears them speaking that once Boris finds out, he will kill his wife and Katya and Lucas won't hide long. Lucas manages to make Boris buy the diamonds and wire the money to the agents' account. But he gets a fair warning from Boris' henchman Pavel of the consequences if he is betraying.
Lucas finds where Pyotr is hiding in Siberia. He goes there to find Pyotr dead and no way to retrieve the real diamonds. Lucas meets Katya one last time and borrows Ivan's hunting rifle, knowing there is no other way this could end.
Pavel and a few henchmen find Lucas to the place. Lucas shoots and kills all the henchmen while trying to escape but gets shot by Pavel in the back and dies.
- Keanu Reeves as Lucas Hill
- Ana Ularu as Katya
- Pasha D. Lychnikoff as Boris Volkov
- Molly Ringwald as Gabby Hill
- Rafael Petardi as Pavel
- Aleks Paunovic as Yefrem
- Boris Gulyarin as Pyotr
- Ashley St. George as Christa
- Taran Vitt as Lio
In February 2017, it was announced Keanu Reeves had been cast in the film, with Matthew Ross directing from a screenplay by Scott B. Smith. Stephen Hamel, Reeves, and Gabriela Bacher will produce the film under their Company Films, Summerstorm Productions banners respectively. In April 2017, Aleks Paunovic, Pasha D. Lychnikoff, Ana Ularu, and Molly Ringwald joined the cast of the film.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 11% based on 45 reviews, with an average rating of 4/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Icily inhospitable to compelling performances or a sensible narrative, Siberia offers audiences a harsh and seemingly interminable exile from entertainment." Metacritic gives the film a weighted average score of 34 out of 100, based on reviews from 15 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- Lodderhose, Diana (February 1, 2017). "Keanu Reeves Heading To 'Siberia' With 'Frank & Lola' Director Matthew Ross – Berlin". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (April 5, 2017). "Aleks Paunovic Books Two Roles; Catherine Siggins Lands 'The Samuel Project'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (April 27, 2017). "Keanu Reeves Starring Thriller 'Siberia' Rounds Its Cast; Magda Apanowicz To Co-Star In 'Volition'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- Garcia, Daniella (May 16, 2017). "Cannes First Look: Keanu Reeves Dives Into Diamond Trade in 'Siberia' (Exclusive Image)". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- "Siberia (2018): Filming & Production". IMDb. Retrieved July 15, 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (May 11, 2018). "Saban Films Snaps Up North American Rights To Keanu Reeves Crime Thriller 'Siberia' – Cannes". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- "Siberia". Village East Cinema. City Cinemas. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- "Siberia (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "Siberia Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 6, 2019.