SID performing in Singapore (2013)
SID (シド) was founded in 2003 by vocalist Mao (ex-Shula) and bassist Aki (ex-Ram Rem). They were joined by two support members, guitarist Shinji (ex-Uranus) and drummer Yuuya (ex-Shula). The four of them released the band's first demo CD, Yoshigai Manabu 17-sai (Mushoku) (吉開学 17歳 (無職)), on mini-disc that August and soon after, they signed on with Danger Crue Records.
Though SID technically began in 2003, the band considers January 14, 2004 the date of their 'birth' as it was announced at their show at the Meguro Rock May Kan that Shinji and Yuuya would be joining as official members. With their line-up now complete, they released their first single "Kaijou-Ban"(会場限定盤) in March before traveling overseas for a two-day performance at the American convention Anime Central in May. The young band made quite an impact, gaining a number of international fans, and they have since expressed their desire to return to America once more.
SID heated back up in the winter months, releasing their first full album, Renai(レンアイ), and taking part in both their label-sponsored 'tenka' event put on every Christmas and the Beauti-Fool's Fest 04 event sponsored by Fool's Mate magazine. They continued to participate in lives and events well into the next year, which included their first one-man tour. The release of their second album followed. The band started off small, but not without a certain charming flair. Where most bandsmen handed out fliers, they also used megaphones as a means of personal promotion. Despite having only a small collection of songs to offer, they worked relentlessly to produce more. Their releases varied widely in style and composition, and the band made it an obvious goal to appeal to a broad audience - a plan which obviously worked. SID grew rapidly in their initial years, at a rate which surprised numerous publications and notoriously earned them the title "the monster band of the indie scene".
2006 was a big year for SID: they broke into the Oricon top ten for the first time with their summer single, "Chapter 1", and they were able to play a one-man at the famous Nippon Budokan live hall. They finished the year with the release of their third album, play, and a new one-man tour that took them throughout Japan. The following year brought a slew of new singles, including September's "Mitsuyubi" (蜜指), which was the band's first to reach the Oricon top five.
In early 2008, SID announced they would be going major with Sony Records and later put out "Monokuro no Kiss" (モノクロのキス), their debut major single. The single’s title track was used for the opening of anime "Kuroshitsuji" and the release was also available in four versions, one which was a special Kuroshitsuji version featuring the two main characters on a cardboard sleeve. Their debut concert at Nippon Budokan sold out in under two minutes in November 2008. Their late single "Enamel", was used for the opening of "Book of Circus" Black Butler.
Their next single, titled "2°C me no kanojo" (2℃目の彼女), came out in January 2009, and three months later "Uso" (嘘) debuted at number two on the Oricon charts and was also used as the 1st ending theme of popular anime "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" Their other recent releases also seem to be used for popular anime, so anticipate many more songs to be used for original soundtracks. Their first major album, Hikari, was released on July 1, 2009, and will serve as the primary set list for what will be their largest tour to date. Another single named, "One Way" was released on 11. November which reached 3rd in the Oricon Charts.
On March 3, 2010, SID released their Single "Sleep" and announced their performance at Saitama Super Arena on July 31 in a special CM on TV Asahi program "Ikinari!Ogon Densetsu" on February 11, subsequently selling out 30,000 tickets in just one day. SID's newest song is "Rain (雨)" which is the fifth opening theme and sixth ending theme for the anime Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Released on June 2, 2010, "Rain" ranked No.1 on the Oricon Daily charts on June 4 and 5, marking the first time SID has ever placed No. 1 on the daily charts. "Rain" is SID's second contribution to the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise, making them one of the two artists contributing more than one song for Fullmetal Alchemist (the other being L'Arc-en-Ciel). However, on the weekly charts "Rain" was ranked No.2. On September 29, 2010 they released a new single titled "Cosmetic" and performed at Tokyo Dome on December 11, 2010. On 2010 December 1 they released a single, "Ranbu no Melody" (乱舞のメロディ) which was used as the 13th opening theme of Bleach from Episodes 292 to 316.
They got the Top Pop Artist Award from Billboard Japan Music Awards 2010 on February 6, 2011. Also they participated in Kuroyume's tribute album which was released on February 9, the song SID will do is "Yasashii Higeki(Tender Tragedy)" a song by Kuroyume that was released in 1995. A DVD with footage from their live at Saitama Super Arena and Tokyo Dome was released and is available in 3D on Blu-ray. The DVD also placed 3rd on Oricon weekly. Their new single entitled "Itsuka", was followed by another performance at Nippon Budokan on October 4. Their 7th DVD, SIDNAD Vol.7: dead stock tour 2011 was released on the next day. "Itsuka" reached No. 1 on the daily charts and placed second on the weekly charts.
On December 28, 2011 SID released "Fuyu no Bench". SID performed at the Ontama Carnival on January 29, 2012. Their single "S" was decided to become the theme of Sadako 3D and an image song for the 2013 film adaptation of Carrie. Their single "VIP" was released on 21 November 2012, and is the opening theme for the anime adaptation of the manga Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. Another single, "Anniversary" will be the opening theme for the second season of said anime. On March 6, 2013, SID releases their M&W Tour Live Concert in DVD form [SIDNAD Vol.8～TOUR 2012 M&W～]
On April 6, 2013, SID hold the live event for their commemorative 10th Anniversary of SID at Yokohama Stadium. On May 24, 2013 SID also performed in Singapore for the first time at the MUSIC MATTERS LIVE 2013 event. They release their new single "Summer Lover" on 24 July 2013 followed by 2 other side single included in the album Side B Complete Collection on August 21, 2013. The two tracks mentioned are CELEBRITY and SENSE. On July 27, 2013, SID make a tour for their 10th Anniversary Live, first at Fukuoka; then at Sendai on August 3, 2013, Osaka on August 10, 2013, and finally at Fujikyu Highland, Yamanashi on 24–25 August 2013.
On December 11, 2013, SID is releasing their live DVD during Yokohama Concert, consisting of 22 songs included 『SIDNAD Vol.9 ～YOKOHAMA STADIUM～』<10th Anniversary LIVE> and later on December 27, 2013, SID will hold the final live event in 2013, commemorative for their 10th Anniversary Projects in Nippon Budokan [VISUAL BANG! SID 10TH ANNIVERSARY FINAL PARTY] where they invite other artists such as AYABIE, R-Shitei, Alice Project, Kameleo, ZORO, DIV, DaizyStripper, Dog in the PWO, v[NEW] and Moran. Following on the February 12, 2014, SID will release their new single 『hug』.
27 August 2014, SID's Enamel was released. It was used for the opening title in Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus.
- マオ (Mao)
- Shinji (しんぢ)
- 明希 (Aki)
- ゆうや (Yuuya)
- [2004.12.22] Renai (憐哀 -レンアイ) ; No. 44
- [2005.11.16] Hoshi no Miyako (星の都) ; # 26
- [2006.11.08] Play ; # 9
- [2008.02.20] Sentimental Macchiato (センチメンタルマキアート) ; # 8
- [2008.08.13] Side B complete collection: e.B ; No. 10
- [2009.07.01] Hikari ; No. 2
- [2011.02.23] Dead Stock ; No. 4
- [2012.08.01] M&W ; No. 3
- [2013.01.16] SID 10th Anniversary BEST ; No. 1
- [2013.08.21] Side B complete collection〜e.B 2〜 ; No. 6
- [2013.08.21] Side B complete collection〜e.B 3〜 ; No. 7
- [2014.03.12] Outsider ; No. 5
- [2004.03.28] Kaijou-Ban (会場盤)
- [2004.04.04] Tsuhan-Ban (通販盤)
- [2004.06.06] Ryutsu-Ban (流通盤)
- [2005.07.20] Paint Pops No. 32
- [2005.10.12] Sweet? ; No. 23
- [2006.02.08] Hosoi Koe ; No. 18
- [2006.06.14] Chapter 1 ; No. 10
- [2006.08.16] Otegami (御手紙) ; No. 9
- [2007.04.04] Smile ; No. 11
- [2007.07.11] Natsukoi (夏恋) ; No. 10
- [2007.09.26] Mitsuyubi (蜜指 ミツユビ) ; No. 5
- [2007.12.05] Namida no Ondo (涙の温度) ; No. 4
- [2008.10.29] Monochrome no Kiss (モノクロのキス) ; No. 4
- [2009.01.14] Nidome no Kanojo (2℃目の彼女) ; No. 3
- [2009.04.29] Uso (嘘) ; No. 2
- [2009.11.11] One Way ; No. 3
- [2010.03.03] Sleep ; No. 2
- [2010.06.02] Rain (レイン) ; No. 2
- [2010.09.29] Cosmetic ; No. 3
- [2010.12.01] Ranbu no Melody (乱舞のメロディ) ; No. 5
- [2011.09.28] Itsuka (いつか) ; No. 2
- [2011.12.28] Fuyu no Bench (冬のベンチ) ; No. 6
- [2012.05.02] Nokoriga (残り香) ; No. 5
- [2012.05.09] S ; No. 4
- [2012.11.21] V.I.P ; No. 4
- [2013.04.10] Koi ni Ochite (恋におちて) ; No. 4
- [2013.07.24] Summer Lover ("サマラバ) ; No. 7
- [2013.11.06] Anniversary
- [2014.02.12] Hug
- [2014.08.27] ENAMEL
- [2014.12.10] White Tree
- [2015.11.25] Hyoryu (漂流)
- [2007.02.07] Sidnad Vol.1: Film of "Play"#14
- [2008.05.14] Sidnad Vol.2: Clips One No. 7
- [2008.10.15] Sidnad Vol.3: Tour 2008 センチメンタルマキアート No. 5
- [2009.02.10] Sidnad Vol.4: Tour 2009 光 No. 3
- [2010.07.28] Sidnad Vol.5: Clips Two No. 7
- [2011.03.16] Sidnad Vol.6: Live 2010 No. 3
- [2011.10.05] Sidnad Vol.7: dead stock tour 2011 No. 1
- [2013.03.06] SIDNAD Vol.8: ～TOUR 2012 M&W～
- [2013.12.11] SIDNAD Vol.9: ～YOKOHAMA STADIUM～ <10th Anniversary LIVE>
- [2007.12.19] Luna Sea Memorial Cover Album - Wish
- [2011.02.09] Fuck The Border Line - yasashii higeki(優しい悲劇)
- [2011.08.17] All Time Super Guest - JUSTY
- [2012.06.13] L'Arc~en~Ciel Tribute - Shout at the Devil
- "Sid Revealed Important Information in One-Time-Only CM!". Musicjapanplus. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2010-02-16.