Siddapura, Uttara Kannada
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (May 2014)|
|Siddapura, Uttara Kannada
|Elevation||564 m (1,850 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Siddapura (ಸಿದ್ಧಾಪುರ) is a town and the headquarters of Siddapura taluk in Uttara Kannada district of the state of Karnataka in southern India. It is nestled among the Western Ghats of Karnataka. Areca nut cultivation is the primary occupation of the people of this taluk, along with agriculture.
- 1 Demography
- 2 Transport
- 3 Economy and occupations
- 4 Art and culture
- 5 Temples
- 6 Mosques
- 7 Churches
- 8 Banking and finance facilities
- 9 Special sweet dishes
- 10 Famous non-vegetarian dish
- 11 TV and radio
- 12 Network and internet facilities
- 13 Education
- 14 Places to see nearby
- 15 Hospitals
- 16 Geography
- 17 References
As of 2001[update] India census, Siddapura had a population of 14,049. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. The average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 88%, and female literacy is 82%. 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. Kannada is the most widely spoken language.
Bus service is provided mainly by KSRTC and few private bus operators, which runs buses that connect Siddapura to other places in Karnataka and a few buses to other states. Siddapura is well connected by road with Sirsi, Kumta, Karwar, Bhatkal, Sagara, Shimoga, Bangalore, Mysore and Hubli.
The nearest railway station is Talaguppa, (18 km) towards Sagara, Shimoga, Mysore, Bangalore, Chennai, Hydrabad and Honnavar (73.5 km) along Konkan Railway towards Karwar, Goa, Mumbai, Pune, Mangalore and Kerala. The nearest airport is Hubli Airport, towards Bangalore and Mumbai, which is about 120 kilometres (75 mi). from Siddapur.
Economy and occupations
The main occupation of the residents of Siddapura is agriculture. Supari (arecanut) is the primary business of the people. Other than arecanut, commodities like paddy, coffee, pineapple, cardamom, coconut, pepper and vanilla are also grown. Many rice mills, supari mandi, soda factories, ice-cream factories, pineapple juice factories, and jackfruit and banana chip centers are here.
Art and culture
Yakshagana (Kannada: ಯಕ್ಷಗಾನ) is a classical dance drama popular locally.
|This section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2014)|
The Lakshmi Venkatesh temple one of the beautiful and famous temple in Siddapur,Shri kalleswara Temple kalure, Maruthi Temple Honnegundi, Sri Renukamba Temple Chandragutti (15 km from Siddapura), Sri Rameshwara temple Itgi (20 km from Siddapura), Sri Raghavendra temple, Sri Bankeshwara temple Hosur, Sri Mahaganapati Temple Tarai, Sri Ganesha temple Heroor, Sri Shaneshwar and Hanuman Temple Bedkani (5 km from Siddapur), Sri Bhuvaneshwari Temple Bhuvanagiri are very old and famous temples here. Furthermore, Sri Lakshmi-Narayana Temple, Sri Laxmi-Venkatesh Temple, Sri Vittal-Rukmini Mandir, Sringeri sri sharadha Temple Hosuru, Sri Shiv Mandir also situated here.
The famous "Marikamba Jaathre" held on Maribail Kondli, commemorating the goddess Marikamba is held by the temple authorities once every 5 years. Nearly a lakh devotees from all parts of the country attend the fair, making it one of the biggest festivals in the Siddapura region. Beside Bhuvanagiri Jatra, Basaveshwar Jatra held in Feb every year Shanishwar jatra held in March End of every Year, Dusara Festivals are some specials significance.
Badriya Jamia Masjid (Sunni) situated at town Near Pattana Panchayaat. Bedkani jamia masjid (sunni) situated at near bus stop.
Beautiful Holy Rosary Catholic Church is situated in Ravindranagar Siddapur.
Banking and finance facilities
SBI, State Bank Of Mysore, Vijaya Bank, Syndicate Bank, Canara Bank are some banks with full-fledged operations. SBI, SBM, Vijaya Bank, and Syndicate Bank and have automated teller machines in place as well. Co-operative banks, namely Suvarna Co-operative Bank, Bhavana A trustee Co-operative banks since from last 15–20 years.
Special sweet dishes
Jack-fruit and banana chips, and fresh sugarcane juice are special.
Kadubu: The main ingredients are jackfruit pulp and jaggery. The batter is prepared with some additional ingredients, put into a container and steamed. The dessert is a local delicacy and is served hot with ghee.
Holge: These are not similar to pancakes but one could say that these are the sweet equivalents of tortillas. One variant is made with gramflour and jaggery while the other is made with coconuts.
Todadevu: It is a special kind of thin crust dosa made out of jaggery/sugarcane juice fresh honey also available here
Famous non-vegetarian dish
Koli Kajjaya: Hosagere Kajjaya [Many varieties exist] made by rice floor and fried in oil is a famous dish. this area people i most using rotti this is very teastful. It tastes great with thick potato sambar and Nati chicken curry. It is a delicacy among the non vegetarian communities of the Siddapura as well as adjoining taluks like Sirsi, Sagar, Soraba, Hosanagara and Thirthalli.
Kotte Kadabu: Made up of fermented rice paste, steam boiled in banana leaf packets for more than four hours. It tastes great with chicken and mutton curry, coconut chutney, fish curry, fresh water fish curry, prawn curry and all vegetable sambar.
TV and radio
Sagara is the nearest place to Siddapura (38 km) which has LPT-49 TV relay station airing Doordarshan National Channel. Cable TV and direct to home services are widely used and these have replaced the conventional VHF/UHF TV antennas and satellite dish antennas. Local cable having Janani TV, which provides essential day to day information to the people of Siddapur.
Sagar AIR is the nearest radio station. Sagar AIR station can be heard on 100.1 MHz.There are no much amateur radio operations in and around the town.
Network and internet facilities
All major mobile operators are available in Siddapura as are most broadband facilities.
- Model Kannada Boys School
- Model Kannada Girls School
- Prashanti Gurukula Vidya Kendra
- Little Flower School, Ravindranagar
- Shree Murugharajendra Blind School
- SV Boys High School
- SRGHM Girls High School
- Siddhivinayaka Primary School
- MGC Arts Commerce & GHD Science College
- Dhanavantri Ayurvedic Medical College
- Government PU College,KONDLI, HALADKATTA, Siddapura (junior)
- Government First Grade College, Siddapur
- Government Polytechnic Siddapur
- Government ITI college Siddapur
- Siddhivinayaka English medium High SChool
- JSPU College Bilgi,Siddapur
- MHPS Balikoppa Siddapur
- MHPS kondli
- Sitharamachandra highschool bilgi
- govt high school kolsirsi
*govt pu college kolsirsi
Places to see nearby
- kondli marigudi 2 km in city
- Jog Falls – 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) from Siddapur.(Jog falls is in Sagar Taluk)
- Honnemaradu – Situated near Talguppa (backwaters of River Sharavathi), 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Siddapura (situated in Sagar Taluk)
- Burude Falls (or Illimane Falls), near Kyadgi is a five step waterfall and is about 21 km from Siddapura (includes 3 km of trekking from Illimane)
- Unchalli Falls (KeppaJoga) – 28 kilometres (17 mi) from Siddapura via Harsikatta near Gollimakki (another route is via trek from Illimane Falls to Unchalli Falls of distance about 5 km)
- WaateHalla Falls – 34 kilometres (21 mi) from Siddapur.
- Bhuvaneshwari Temple situated at Bhuvanagiri is the only Kannadambe Buvaneshwari Temple in Karnataka (7 km).
- Sri Renukambe temple and Hill sight Chandragutti (15 km)
- Sri Shankar Math and Big Garden Park Siddapur
- Husur Dam
- Yana Jungle (35 km from Sirsi)
- Siganadhr Temple and Holebagilu (30 km From Sagar)
- Kannali Temple (8 km)
- Gudvi Pakshidam (bird sanctuary) (30 km Near Sorab)
- Varadhahalli Ashrama (4 km from Sagar)
- Shri Lakshmi Narasimha Temple, Shriman Nelemavu Mutt.(29 km Herur)
- Shri Siddivinayaka Temple, Herur
(29 km from Siddapur; 21 km from Sirsi)
- Shri kalleswara Temple kalure. near by bilgi
- Gol Baavi at Bilgi (round well)
- Jain Basadi at Bilgi
- LaxmiNarayan Temple Dodmane (28 km)
- Ramanath Temple Itgi (18 km)
- Shri Kalleswara Temple Kalure (15 km)
- Holy Rosary Church
- Birthplace of Raysan Dsouza
- Nehru Ground
- Shree Shaneswara Temple Bedkani (06 km from siddapur)
Following hospitals are located in Siddapur.
- Taluk Govt Hospital Siddapur
- Shreyas Hospital APMC
- Ayurvedic Medical Hospital Avrguppa
- Omkar Hospitals
- govt hospital kolsirsi
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.