Malhotra in 2016
16 January 1985 |
Sidharth Malhotra (born 16 January 1985) is an Indian actor and former model who appears in Bollywood films. Malhotra began a career as a model at the age of 18. Dissatisfied by the profession, he went on to work as an assistant director to Karan Johar in the 2010 film My Name Is Khan. He made his acting debut with a leading role in Johar's comedy-drama Student of the Year (2012), for which he received a Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut nomination.
Malhotra played an aspiring businessman in the critically praised comedy-drama Hasee Toh Phasee in 2014, following which he starred as a hardened criminal in the romantic thriller Ek Villain (2014) and an aspiring author in the family drama Kapoor & Sons (2016). The latter two rank among Malhotra's highest-grossing films, with a worldwide gross of over ₹1 billion (US$15 million) each.
Life and career
Early life and film debut
Malhotra was born in Delhi, into a Punjabi family, to Sunil, a former captain in the Merchant Navy, and Rimma Malhotra, a homemaker. He was schooled at Delhi's Don Bosco School and Birla Vidya Niketan [Birla Vidya Niketan,New Delhi], and later attended Shaheed Bhagat Singh College. At the age of 18, Malhotra began modelling. Although he was successful, he decided to quit after four years because he was dissatisfied with the profession.
Interested to pursue an acting career, he successfully auditioned for a film to be directed by Anubhav Sinha. However, the film was shelved, following which he worked as an assistant director to Karan Johar on the 2010 film My Name Is Khan. In 2012, Malhotra made his acting debut with Johar's Student of the Year alongside Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt. He was cast as Abhimanyu Singh, a scholarship student of limited financial means, who competes with his wealthy best friend Rohan (played by Dhawan) to win an annual school championship. Film critic Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN considered Malhotra's performance to be "earnest", adding that he had "a pleasing presence." Student of the Year was a financial success, grossing ₹700 million (US$11 million) domestically.
Malhotra was next paired opposite Parineeti Chopra and Adah Sharma for the romantic comedy Hasee Toh Phasee (2014), which tells the love story of a drug-abusing scientist and an under-confident aspiring businessman. Mohar Basu of Koimoi found his performance to be "restrained" and described his chemistry with Chopra as "lively" and "heartfelt"; Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV praised his screen presence and compared it to the early work of Amitabh Bachchan. The film performed moderately well at the box office, with global revenues of ₹620 million (US$9.6 million).
Ek Villain and beyond (2014 - present)
Malhotra's second release of 2014 was the Mohit Suri-directed romantic thriller Ek Villain. Malhotra was cast as Guru, a hardened criminal whose terminally-ill wife (played by Shraddha Kapoor) is murdered by a serial killer (played by Riteish Deshmukh). Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express reviewed: "Sidharth Malhotra is watchable even if he has a hard time doing menace — he just seems so nice and wholesome all the time, even when he is crunching bones." The film was generally perceived to be plagiarised from the Korean film I Saw the Devil, although Suri dismissed the allegations. The film eventually emerged as a major commercial success with domestic revenues of over ₹1 billion (US$15 million). The box office performance of the film established Malhotra as one of the most successful among the new generation of Bollywood actors.
In 2015, Malhotra appeared in the remake of the Hollywood film Warrior (2011), entitled Brothers, directed by Karan Malhotra and co-starring Akshay Kumar, Jacqueline Fernandez and Jackie Shroff. Despite high expectations from trade analysts, the film received negative reviews and under-performed at the box office. However, his next release, the Shakun Batra-directed family drama Kapoor & Sons, proved to be a critical and commercial success. Featuring an ensemble cast including Rishi Kapoor, Ratna Pathak Shah, Rajat Kapoor, Fawad Khan, and Alia Bhatt, the film tells the story of two brothers of contrasting personalities (Malhotra and Khan) who return home to their dysfunctional family after their grandfather suffers from a cardiac arrest. A reviewer for India Today thought that Malhotra was overshadowed by Khan in the film, though Namrata Joshi of The Hindu wrote that "he holds his own with his solid presence and vulnerable glances".
In 2016, Malhotra starred as a mathematician who travels in time, thereby learning the value of family life, in the romantic comedy Baar Baar Dekho, co-starring Katrina Kaif. He is filming an untitled action-comedy film with Jacqueline Fernandez from the director duo Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K., and has also committed to reunite with Bhatt in the romance Aashiqui 3, which will mark his second collaboration with director Mohit Suri. In addition, Malhotra will star in the 2017 remake of the 1969 mystery film Ittefaq, opposite Sonakshi Sinha.
Apart from acting in films, Malhotra is an endorser of several brands and products, such as Coca-Cola, Corneto, and American Swan. He also does charity work. In 2013, Malhotra performed at an event alongside Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt, Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor and Huma Qureshi to raise funds for the flood-affected victims of Uttarakhand. He collaborated with PETA for a campaign to create awareness about dogs. In August 2016, he performed in various cities of the USA as a part of the "Dream Team 2016" tour, also featuring fellow actors Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, Katrina Kaif, Parineeti Chopra, and Aditya Roy Kapur, as well as filmmaker Karan Johar and rapper Badshah.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||My Name Is Khan||Assistant director|
|2012||Student of the Year||Abhimanyu Singh||Acting debut|
|2014||Hasee Toh Phasee||Nikhil Bharadwaj|
|2014||Ek Villain||Guru Pratap Singh / Dipu|
|2016||Kapoor & Sons||Arjun Kapoor|
|2016||Baar Baar Dekho||Jai Varma|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Student of the Year||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut—Male||Nominated|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Male)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer—Male||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Most Promising Debut Male||Won|
|Superstar of Tomorrow—Male||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut—Male||Nominated|
|South Africa India Film and Television Awards||Debut Actor of the Year—Male||Won|
|2014||Hasee Toh Phasee||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Film – Male||Won|
|2014||N/A||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Entertainer of the Year (shared with Alia Bhatt)||Won|
|2014||Ek Villain||Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Male||Nominated|
|2014||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Thriller Film – Male||Nominated|
|2015||Screen Awards||Best Actor – Popular Choice||Nominated|
- 2014: Times of India's Most Desirable Men of 2013 #11
- 2013: Times of India's Most Desirable Men of 2012 #12
- 2013: The Times of India Hotlist Most Promising Newcomer 2012 :#3
- 2013: The Times of India 50 Handsome Hunks in 100 years of Indian Cinema :#27
- 2014: Vogue Beauty Awards Most Beautiful Man
- "Sidharth Malhotra turns 30, ready for 'action'". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Happy Birthday Sidharth Malhotra: 'Ek Villain' actor gets ready for 'action' at 30". The Indian Express. Indo-Asian News Service. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Lakhe, Amruta (7 February 2014). "Sidharth Malhotra talks about his journey from being the junior most to a lead actor". The Indian Express. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Iyer, Meena (30 June 2012). "Siddharth Malhotra's short journey to stardom". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- Gupta, Priya (11 December 2013). "I was dating a South African girl, but I'm now single: Sidharth Malhotra". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- Lakhe, Amruta (7 February 2014). "Sidharth Malhotra talks about his journey from being the junior most to a lead actor". The Indian Express. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "The new stars of Bollywood". Hindustan Times. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Masand, Rajeev (20 October 2012). "'Student of the Year' Review: If fun is what you're seeking, you won't be disappointed". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Sidharth Malhotra". Box Office India. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Box office verdict 2012". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- Basu, Mohar (7 February 2014). "Hasee Toh Phasee Movie Review: Sidharth Malhotra, Parineeti Chopra". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (7 February 2014). "Hasee Toh Phasee movie review". NDTV. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Top Worldwide Grossers 2014". Box Office India. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Gupta, Shubhra (30 June 2014). "Ek Villain review: Sidharth Malhotra is watchable but has hard time doing menace". The Indian Express. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Ek Villain not inspired by Korean film, says Mohit Suri". India Today. 28 May 2014. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Mobhani, Suleman. "Bollywood's 100 Crore club". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Ek Villain changed Sidharth Malhotra's luck?". The Times of India. 4 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Sinha Jha, Priyanka (4 July 2014). "Newbie Central". The Financial Express. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Akshay Kumar, Sidharth Malhotra's 'Brothers' shoot over". Indian Express. 18 April 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Ramachandran, Naman (22 August 2014). "Akshay Kumar to Star in Lionsgate, Endemol Indian Remake 'Warrior'". Variety. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "'Brothers' box-office: Akshay Kumar-Sidharth Malhotra starrer collects about Rs 70.61 crore in 3 weeks". The Times of India. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Mehta, Ankita (28 March 2016). "Box office collection: Now 'Kapoor & Sons' to cross Rs 100 crore mark in India; 'Neerja' earns Rs 75 crore". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Sarkar, Suparno (18 March 2016). "'Kapoor & Sons' review round-up: Here is what critics have to say about the rom-com". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Bhattacharya, Ananya (18 March 2016). "Kapoor and Sons movie review: Fawad, Alia, Sidharth in a madhouse drama". India Today. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Joshi, Namrata (18 March 2016). "Kapoor & Sons: The ultimate family film". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Sidharth Malhotra, Katrina Kaif wrap up 'Baar Baar Dekho'". CNN IBN. 16 April 2016. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Sidharth Malhotra, Jacqueline Fernandez start shooting for their action film". The Indian Express. 8 May 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Confirmed: Rumoured lovebirds Alia Bhatt and Sidharth Malhotra to star in Aashiqui 3". India Today. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Sidharth Malhotra to be seen in remake of Rajesh Khanna's 'Ittefaq'". Daily News and Analysis. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Sidharth Malhotra to endorse American Swan". The Indian Express. 9 March 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and Siddharth Malhotra unite for a cause | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Dnaindia.com. 10 August 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Sidharth Malhotra shoots for PETA". Indian Express. 4 July 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August". India Bulletin. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "'Ittefaq' remake: Sonakshi Sinha and Siddharth Malhotra starts shooting, Shah Rukh Khan gives thumbs-up". ABP News. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- Aiyaary motion poster: Sidharth Malhotra, Manoj Bajpayee and Neeraj Pandey’s film looks gritty, see pic
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Nominations announced for ETC Bollywood Business Awards". Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Sidharth Malhotra–Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Stardust Awards 2013: list of winners". NDTV. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Trivedi, Dhiren. "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?". Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations". Indicine. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Winners of SAIFTA Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Bollywood's youth brigade rock the Big Star Entertainment Awards". Daily Mail. 19 December 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "92.7 BIG FM". Twitter. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2014". Bollywood Hungama. 8 December 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Big Star Entertainment Awards Nominations List 2014". Reliance Broadcast Network. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Crowd Favourites". Indian Express. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Times Most Desirable Men 2013 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Times Most Desirable Men 2012 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 20 June 2013.[unreliable source?]
- "The most promising newcomer male for 2012 is... – The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Siddharth Malhotra: Karan Johar's new find, Delhi boy Siddharth Malhotra has the dashing looks and a strong screen presence which got him the title of the most promising debutant of the year 2012". The Times Of India.
- "Meet the Vogue Beauty Awards 2014 winners". 22 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sidharth Malhotra.|