Mallya at GQ Most Stylish Man awards event
|Born||Sidhartha Vijay Mallya
May 7, 1987
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Parent(s)||Vijay Mallya (father)
Sameera Tyabjee Mallya (mother)
Sidhartha Vijay Mallya (born 7 May 1987), commonly known as Siddharth Mallya and Sid Mallya, is the son of Indian Businessman Vijay Mallya, the chairman of UB Group (an Indian conglomerate that is primarily in the alcoholic beverages business), and the grandson of Vittal Mallya, who was the company's previous chairman.
He has been an online and television host and male model, and is pursuing a career in acting. He registered with the Screen Actors Guild as "Sid Mallya", saying he chose the stage name to try to avoid being typecast in stereotypical roles. He appeared in a sex comedy film entitled Brahman Naman and was expected in 2015 to appear in another film entitled Homecoming.
He has also worked as director of the IPL cricket team Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), which was owned by his father at the time, and as a marketing manager for Guinness (a product of Diageo, a large drinks company closely tied to his father's business).
Early life & education
Mallya was born in Los Angeles, California, to Indian businessman Vijay Mallya and former airline hostess Samira Mallya (née Tyabjee). Shortly after his birth, the family moved to England, where he was primarily raised. The family also lived part of the time in Dubai (in the United Arab Emirates). At the age of 15, he started boarding school at Papplewick School in Ascot and then went to Wellington College, Berkshire, where he passed his GCSEs and A Levels. He then attended Queen Mary University of London, where he obtained a bachelor's degree in business management. While at the university, he also played on its Field Hockey team.
After graduating from university, Mallya spent a year working for drinks giant Diageo, as an assistant brand manager on Guinness. It was widely expected that he would follow into the family business.
At the beginning of 2010, he became director of the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) IPL cricket team, which is owned by UB Group (his father's company). While he was at the RCB, he oversaw the team's "Green Initiatives", which led to RCB claiming to be the world's first carbon-neutral sports team through fan engagement. In 2012, he launched an online chat show called No Boundaries. The show was written and hosted by him, and its episodes were posted on the team's web site. The show primarily featured players from his cricket team.
Later that year, he appeared as the lead presenter and judge on "The Hunt for The Kingfisher Calendar Girl 2013" on the NDTV Good Times channel. He made his ramp modeling debut during Lakme Fashion Week 2012 as the show stopper for designer Komal Sood. He followed this up by walking for designers Shantanu and Nikhil during Indian Bridal Week.
In the latter half of 2013, Mallya was selected as one of 20 to participate in the ABC Talent Showcase, a platform and training program for aspiring talents, out of more than 7000 applicants. In 2014, he launched a YouTube show called Sid Sessions.
Mallya made his feature film debut in the sex comedy film Brahman Naman directed by Q and produced by Steve Barron where he played Ronnie, a cricket-playing jock, who is rich, good-looking, and popular with girls. On Aug 4, 2015, it was announced that Mallya would also appear in another feature film, a dark comedy called Homecoming.
Awards and accolades
- Hello! India Hall of Fame Awards 2010 – Celebutante of the year
- Rotary Vocational Excellence Award 2010
- GQ Men of The Year Awards 2011 – Most stylish man in India
- Power Brands Hall of Fame Awards 2011 – For work on RCB
- HT Café Mumbai's Most Stylish 2011
- India's Sexiest Bachelor 2012 – Top 5
- Cosmopolitan Fun, Fearless Male & Female Awards 2012 – Most stylish man in India
- Panasonic Green Globe Foundation Awards 2012 – Special honoree
- Ivy League Sports Symposium 10 next Awards 2012 – Next generation of Sports industry leaders
Television and web appearances
|2011||The Hunt for the Kingfisher Calendar Girl||Self (Guest Judge)|
|2013||Hunt for the Kingfisher Calendar Girl||Self (Main host and judge)|
|Simi Selects India's Most Desirable||Self (Episode 3)|
|No Boundaries with Sid Mallya||Self (Host and writer)|
|2013||Flashback (II)
(a low-budget 12-minute drama short film)
|2014||Open House On Beverly
(a low-budget comedy short film)
(an Indian comedy film shown at the Sundance Film Festival and released exclusively on Netflix)
(unreleased; planned as of 2015)
- Mallya, Sidhartha. "Sidhartha Mallya biography, net worth, quotes, wiki, assets, cars, homes and more". Bornrich.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Siddharth Mallya takes over Bagan from dad". New Indian Express. 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Son replaces father as Mohun Bagan chairman". The Statesman. Retrieved 2012-05-30.[dead link]
- Aravind, Indulekha (2014-06-04). "Mallya scion gives up family business to pursue an acting career". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Sen, Zinia (2017-01-12). "Sidharth Mallya part of Gandu-maker Q's next!". Times of India. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- "After B Naman, Sid Mallya signs his second international film project – Homecoming". Bollywood Life. 2015-08-05. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Unseen Pictures of Vijay Mallya and Wives". Daily Bhaskar. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2017-04-14.
- Dalal, Mihir (2013-03-07). "Free Spirit: Siddharth Mallya". LiveMint. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Nayyar, Dhiraj (2012-03-03). "Beer hug: Sidhartha Mallya". India Today. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Jadeja hits it big in closely fought IPL 5 auction". Hindu Business Line. 2012-02-04. Retrieved 2017-04-14.
- "Bangalore Royal Challengers team director, Siddharth Mallya". Cricket Country.[dead link]
- "Siddharth Mallya's green initiative". Bollywood Mantra. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "RCB, a carbon-neutral team". The Hindu. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- KBR, Upala (2012-04-12). "Sidhartha Mallya hosts his own IPL show". Times of India. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Siddhartha Mallya to make TV debut with Kingfisher Calendar Girl hunt". NDTV. 2012-09-21. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Siddharth Mallya in tuxedo, Amy Jackson in sari at LFW". India Today. 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Sidhartha Mallya walks in Bridal Fashion Week". Newswala.com. 2012-09-16. Retrieved 2013-11-27.[dead link]
- MissMalini. "Sid Mallya not as easy as ABC". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Tanwar, Sarita A (2013-12-23). "Siddarth Mallya on his journey from Richie Rich to struggling actor in Los Angeles". DNAIndia. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Mallya, Sid. "#SidSessions: Ep. 1 – Kick starts by answering all the obscure questions!". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- PTI (2015-04-29). "Siddharth Mallya takes the plunge into acting". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- Ferro, Ashwin (2012-01-10). "Running makes you look good, says Sidhartha Mallya". Mid Day. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Times of India Publications". Times of India. Retrieved 2013-11-27. (Subscription required (. ))[dead link]
- "Mr. Punit Goenka, MD & CEO, ZEEL presented the Rotary Vocational Excellence Award 2010!". Zee Television. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Smita G. (2011-09-30). "GQ Men of the year 2011 awards winners". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Power Brands Hall of Fame 2011". Business and Economy. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Arjun Rampal photos | Siddharth Mallya and Arjun Rampal at HT Café Most Stylish Awards 2011 at ITC Parel in Mumbai". Gomolo.com. 2011-12-21. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "John, Ranbir, Abhay, Shahid or Siddhartha – Who is India's sexiest bachelor?". glamsham.com. 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Joshi, Sonali (2012-02-20). "Winners all the way: Bollywood stars walk the red carpet at awards gala". Daily Mail India. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Muthanna, Anjali (2012-02-15). "Sid Mallya gets green award". Times of India. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Long, Michael (2012-10-23). "The 10 NEXT Class of 2012". SportsPro. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Siddharth Mallya becomes India's Most Desirable". One India. 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Bari, Nishat (2012-09-29). "Calendar Boy". India Today. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Siddharth Mallya to make TV debut". Gulf News. 2012-09-22. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Bhushan, Nyay (January 31, 2016). "'Brahman Naman' to Premiere Globally on Netflix". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-04-14.