Siddhartha Lal in 2012
Siddhartha Vikram Lal
October 1973 (age 46)
|Education||The Doon School|
St. Stephen's College
University of Leeds (MSc)
|Years active||1999 - date|
|Known for||Turnaround of Royal Enfield|
|Home town||Delhi, India|
|Title||CEO & MD, Eicher Motors|
Chairman & MD, VE Commercial Vehicles
|Board member of||Eicher Motors|
VE Commercial Vehicles
Siddhartha Vikram Lal (born October 1973) is an Indian businessman. He is the son of Vikram Lal, and a former chief executive officer (CEO) and the current managing director (MD) of Eicher Motors, a director of Eicher Goodearth Limited and chairman and MD of VE Commercial Vehicles. Lal is credited with the turnaround and revival of the "Royal Enfield Bullet" motorcycle (manufactured by Royal Enfield).
Early life and education
Siddhartha Vikram Lal is the son of Vikram Lal, who was the chief executive officer of Eicher Motors. Like his father, Siddhartha attended The Doon School for his secondary education. After completing his twelfth grade, Lal attended the St. Stephen's College of University of Delhi for a bachelor's degree in economics in the 1994. Between 1996-1998, he attained a postgraduate diploma in mechanical engineering from Cranfield University, and a master's degree in automotive engineering from the University of Leeds in England. He has a sister, Simran Lal.
Lal, after completing his education started working with MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG. He joined Eicher Group in 1999, working in various capacities in the Eicher tractor division, and then became CEO of Royal Enfield in 2000 (at the age of 26) aiming to end the unit's losses. From 2000 to 2004, he worked out of Royal Enfield's headquarters in Chennai, introducing cost-cutting measures and product upgrades. "Honestly, at age 26, it seemed a fun thing to do. I could eat, sleep, ride and talk motorcycles," Lal said in a 2015 interview.
|Director||Eicher Goodearth Limited|
|Chairman||VE Commercial Vehicles|
|Director||Eicher Goodearth Holdings|
|Director||Design Intent Engineering|
|Director||Hoff & Associates|
Siddhartha Lal relocated from Delhi to London, in August 2015, in order to be close to Royal Enfield's new R&D centre in Leicestershire. "We are in the process of developing engines for the international markets and lots of developmental work is happening in the UK. It is for that I have decided to move to the UK for one year," he said.
- "Siddhartha Lal PGDME, MSc (Automotive Engg.)". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "The man who turned around Royal Enfield". The Economic Times. Retrieved Sep 2015. Check date values in:
- "Siddhartha Lal, Eicher Motors Ltd". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- Ramani, Priya (10 September 2010). "Siddhartha Lal | The Bulletproof man". Livemint. Mint. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- Sood, Varun; Chopra, Ritika; Thakkar, Ketan (21 April 2014). "AAP's leftist leanings fail to dissuade India Inc; donations pour in for Arvind Kejriwal". The Economic Times. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
AAP's last biggest donation came from Natasha Lal, wife of Eicher Group head Siddhartha Lal, who gave Rs 50 lakh last week.
- "The Bulletproof man". liveMint. Retrieved Sep 2015. Check date values in:
- Blankfeld, Keren; Chung, Grace; Doebele, Justin; Flannery, Russell; Jetley, Neerja Pawha; Karmali, Naazneen (7 October 2015). "Lal family". Forbes Asia. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
Lal family on Forbes Lists #40 Asia's Richest Families (2015)
- "Lal, Siddhartha". Reuters India. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Hussain, Shabana (21 October 2014). "The homemakers: Leading home décor brand Good Earth is a labour of love". Forbes India. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Sinha, Vivek (28 September 2002). "Enfield strikes at Lightning, to fly Thunderbird". The Economic Times. Times News Network. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
Manufacturing at the Jaipur plant, which has a capacity to produce 13,000 mobikes, is under suspension and according to the plan it is expected to resume operations as soon as the Chennai plant achieves full capacity utilisation.
- Madhavan, N. (16 October 2015). "Siddhartha Lal: The braveheart". Forbes India. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
He has unleashed a burst of activity in London to leverage its British heritage and design products (Royal Enfield has a development centre there) that appeal to the global audience.
- Karmali, Naazneen (July 2015). "India's Vintage Motorcycle Royal Enfield Is On Full Throttle". Forbes Asia. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
In 2004 he took charge of running the group, which was then a collective of several businesses. He sold all but two, including the legacy tractor unit, to focus on motorcycles and trucks.
- Das, Biprorshee (7 May 2015). "Royal Enfield customers have a different take on life, says CEO Siddhartha Lal". The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Philip, Lijee (24 September 2015). "Royal Enfield's Siddhartha Lal seeks to replicate India's success in overseas markets". ET Auto. The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
The shift was surprising because Eicher, which owns the famous motorbike maker Royal Enfield, has a manufacturing base in Chennai and headquarters in Gurgaon.
- "Why Eicher Motors Siddhartha Lal Is Moving to UK". NDTV Profit. Press Trust of India. 22 July 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Royal Enfield's Siddhartha Lal will move to UK to strengthen bike business". Daily News and Analysis. Press Trust of India. 22 July 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.