|Type of business||Online media|
Type of site
|Video Portal / Entertainment Fansite|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Parent||All Media Network|
|Slogan(s)||The smart way to find, track and watch shows online.|
|Alexa rank||4,741 (August 2016[update])|
|Launched||February 24, 2007|
SideReel is a website that offers users the ability to search for television shows, get new episode alerts, watch full episodes online and mark the episodes they've watched. The company also announced it had surpassed 1 million unique visitors in one day. It is a TV community site with user discussions, reviews, and news. SideReel acts as a medium, connecting users to content centered on the shows that interest them and organizing the information around those shows.
In July 2013, Rovi spun off SideReel, along with AllGame, AllMovie, AllMusic, and Celebified, as All Media Network; the company's owners includes the original founders of SideReel and Ackrell Capital investor Mike Ackrell.
In 2014, a free SideReel app was launched, allowing fans to find, track and watch their favorite TV series on iOS devices.
SideReel compiles a comprehensive list of television shows and movies and aggregates content for them. The site provides links to view full episodes online, as well as a forum to discuss and review TV shows and movies.
This site allows users to actively collaborate on updating site content, and uses Facebook Connect to foster user participation and a sense of community. Users of Connect can see what shows friends like, and share their favorites.
In 2010, an LA Times article was published using interviews with unnamed anti-piracy experts who accused SideReel of being a way for viewers to watch shows that are not available online by linking to pirated streaming sites. The company denied the charges, stating that it was merely a specialized search engine that points to legitimate sites and removes infringing links when notified of them.
- "Sidereel.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "Rovi acquires SideReel, launches AllRovi.com". vator.tv. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Needleman, Rafe (April 27, 2007). "Beta watch: SideReel opens new video wiki". CNET.
- "Rovi Buys Sidereel, Expands to the Web". Gigaom.com. March 1, 2011.
- "Rovi Corporation Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Performance Announces Agreements to Sell Rovi Entertainment Store and Consumer Website Businesses". globalnewswire.com. 2013-07-31. Retrieved 2017-08-08.[dead link]
- "Digital Entertainment Veterans Launch 'All Media Network' to Perfect Digital Media Discovery". BusinessWire. December 3, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "SideReel app lets fans watch and track their favorite shows on iOS devices". adweek.com. 2014-03-13. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "latimes.com". latimes.com. 2010-09-21. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Official website
- Matthew Wise (October 10, 2011). "SideReel – Zach Larson (video interview and transcript)". FounderLY.