Sideways (Dierks Bentley song)
|Single by Dierks Bentley|
|from the album Feel That Fire|
|Released||March 2, 2009|
|Dierks Bentley singles chronology|
"Sideways" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Dierks Bentley. It was released on March 2, 2009 as the second single from his 2009 album Feel That Fire and as the twelfth single of his career. On the chart week of July 11, 2009, the song became Bentley's seventh Number One hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
"Sideways" was co-written by Bentley himself, along with Jim Beavers, the brother of Bentley's producer, Brett Beavers. This song is a up-tempo backed mainly by electric guitar and by banjo. The song is about the male character's attempt to talk to a female in a bar. Despite not being able to hear her name, he still tries to come on to her, saying that he wants to "get a little sideways" with her. The song's final chorus features the ambient noise of a bar, along with a chanted chorus by backing vocalists.
The music video was directed by Michael Salomon, and features Bentley singing in front of a large party crowd. The video was #50 on the GAC's Top 50 Videos of the Year list. It was shot inside the Fuse nightclub, located inside the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center.
A second video, containing live performance footage, was released in August 2009. This is the most commonly used version on TV.
Kevin J. Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a C rating and thought that Bentley sounded uncomfortable singing the song, making it sound "dull and lifeless" as a result.
- The song was used and mixed by the dance crew Southern Movement, hailing from Nashville, Tennessee, during the first week and premiere of the fourth season of America's Best Dance Crew.
- "Sideways" was used with rewritten lyrics as a theme song for NASCAR on Fox at the very beginning of the pre-race show starting in the 2011 and the 2012 Sprint Cup Series seasons. In 2013, NASCAR on Fox returned to using the NFL on Fox theme.
Chart and sales performance
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||63|
|US Billboard Hot 100||35|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Dierks Bentley "Sideways" over partnership". Great American Country. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Coyne, Kevin J. (2009-03-05). "Dierks Bentley — "Sideways"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- "Dierks Bentley Remakes "Sideways" for NASCAR". Country Music Television. 2011-02-04. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "Dierks Bentley Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Dierks Bentley Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Dierks Bentley Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- "American single certifications – Dierks Bentley – Sideways". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 23, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.