Sideways (Clarence Greenwood song)
"Sideways" is a song written by American artist Clarence Greenwood, who is known by the pseudonym Citizen Cope. Although the song has never charted, it has been widely publicized in pop culture. The song is often referred to by a refrain from the song: These Feelings Won't Go Away. The song was included on Santana's 2002 album Shaman. Then Citizen Cope included it in his 2004 album. It has since been covered by artist such as Sheryl Crow and Corey Taylor.
The song was included in Santana's Shaman album featuring Citizen Cope. Greenwood is credited as the writer and producer of this track. A two-line refrain in the song that is repeated is "These feelings won't go away, They've been knockin' me sideways," leading to its actual and its commonly mistaken title. This version uses an electric guitar backup behind Citizen Cope's vocals. Citizen Cope has a version featuring Santana with a music video that is set to scenes from the 2006 Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz film The Fountain.
Citizen Cope version
The song was included on Citizen Cope's 2004 album The Clarence Greenwood Recordings with a running time of 5:22. The Video for this version credits Craig M. Johnson as the director and was distributed by RCA Records. It features Greenwood playing a classical guitar while singing and various spliced images of him. A Re-recording of the song appears on a limited edition of Citizen Cope's 2010 album The Rainwater LP. Citizen Cope's version also appears on the 2005 compilation album Live At the World Cafe: Volume 19 with a running time of 5:19. The song is also included in 2010 Italian Film "Baciami Ancora"'s soundtrack.
Sheryl Crow does a 5:11 version on her 2010 album 100 Miles from Memphis featuring Citizen Cope. Part of this version appeared on the November 1, 2011 Season 2, "Hard Knocks" episode 7 of Body of Proof. The song was also performed live by guitarists Nuno Bettencourt and Zakk Wylde on the 2016 Generation Axe tour.
- Featured in 2005's Just Like Heaven
- Featured in the episode "My Jiggly Ball" of the television series Scrubs
- Featured in 2006's Trust the Man
- Featured in 2006's The Myth of More of the television series Windfall
- Featured in 2008's Ghost Town
- In the television series, One Tree Hill
- Featured on Entourage, episode "The Cannes Kids"
- Featured in 2009's So You Think You Can Dance
- Featured in 2010 Italian film Baciami ancora directed by Gabriele Muccino.
- "Sideways - Citizen Cope". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2010.
- "Shaman". Amazon.com. Retrieved August 12, 2010.
- "Citizen Cope Ft Santana Sideways [the Fountain] V20". World News Network. Retrieved August 12, 2010.
- "The Clarence Greenwood Recordings". Amazon.com. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Live At the World Cafe: Volume 19". Amazon.com. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Live at the World Café, Volume 19". Last.fm Ltd. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Baciami Ancora". Last.fm Ltd. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- Graff, Gary (July 9, 2010). "Sheryl Crow, "100 Miles From Memphis"". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2010.
- not sure if an online source will arise, but this will be confirmable when the DVDs come out in 2012
- Silverman, Renee (April 13, 2016). "Generation Axe guitar legends shred for one night in Los Angeles". AXS.com. Retrieved April 14, 2016.