Sidney W. A. Dekker (born 1969, "near Amsterdam"), is a Professor at Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia, where he founded the Safety Science Innovation Lab. He is also Honorary Professor of Psychology at The University of Queensland.
Previously, Dekker was Professor of human factors and system safety at Lund University in Sweden, where he founded the Leonardo da Vinci Laboratory for Complexity and Systems Thinking, and flew as First Officer on Boeing 737's for Sterling and later Cimber Airlines out of Copenhagen. Dekker is a high-profile scholar (h-index = 39) and is known for his work in the fields of human factors and safety.
Dekker's most recent books include "The Safety Anarchist: Relying on human expertise and innovation, reducing bureaucracy and compliance" (2017), "The End of Heaven: Disaster and Suffering in a Scientific Age" (2017), "Just Culture: Restoring Trust and Accountability in your Organization" (2016), Safety Differently: Human Factors for a New Era (2015), '"The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error" (2014), 'Second Victim: Error, guilt, trauma and resilience (2013), Just Culture: Balancing Safety and Accountability (2012), Drift into Failure: From hunting broken components to understanding complex systems (2011), and Patient Safety: A human factors approach (2011).
In collaboration with Brisbane-based RideFree Media, Sidney directed and presented his debut Documentary "Safety Differently: The Movie" in 2017.
- Short bio at the Taos Institute web site
- "Safety Science Innovation Lab - Our Vision". Griffith University. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "School of Psychology - Professor Sidney Dekker". The University of Queensland. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Sidney Dekker". Lund University. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Sidney Dekker". Google Scholar. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Brisbane 2014 - Program". devopsdays.org. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Sidney Dekker - Role & Resume". SAFEmap International. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "UQCCR - Professor Sidney Dekker". The University of Queensland. Retrieved 1 July 2014.