Sidney Harris (cartoonist)
He was born in Brooklyn, New York some time before World War II, and has been drawing science-related cartoons at least since 1955. His cartoons have appeared in numerous scientific journals, notably American Scientist, and also in science fiction magazines and many textbooks. His work has been reprinted in a dozen collections. He was elected as the 19th honorary member of Sigma Xi, a scientific honor society, in 1997. Harris obtained his degree from Brooklyn College and then attended the Art Students League in New York. He began his career as a science cartoonist in 1955. Throughout his drawing career, he has drawn thousands of cartoons many of which have been published. Over 600 of Harris' drawings have been published by American Scientist since the 70s. Harris also has had more than 20 cartoon collections published.
Harris's cartoons have appeared in a number of publications, including Science, Current Contents, Discover, Physics Today, The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, Harvard Business Review, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Chicago, and National Lampoon. Since 1985, his drawings, paintings, and collections can be found in various museums throughout the US. Harris has a traveling exhibit, created by Sigma Xi and the New York Hall of Science, to appear in local museums.
- What's So Funny About Science? (1977) ISBN 978-0-913232-39-2
- Chicken Soup and Other Medical Matters (1979)
- All Ends Up: Cartoons from American Scientist (1980)
- What's So Funny About Computers (1983)
- Science Goes to the Dogs (1985)
- You Want Proof? I'll Give You Proof! More Cartoons from Sidney Harris (1990)
- Can't You Guys Read? Cartoons on Academia (1991)
- Chalk Up Another One: The Best of Sidney Harris (1992) ISBN 978-0-8135-2260-9
- From Personal Ads to Cloning Labs: More Science Cartoons from Sidney Harris (1992)
- So Sue Me! Cartoons on the Law (1993)
- Stress Test: Cartoons on Medicine (1994)
- What's So Funny About Business? Yuppies, Bosses, and other Capitalists (1995)
- There Goes the Neighborhood: Cartoons on the Environment (1996)
- Einstein Atomized: More Science Cartoons (1996)
- The Interactive Toaster: Cartoons on Business (1996)
- Freudian Slips: Cartoons on Psychology (1997)
- 49 Dogs, 36 Cats and a Platypus: Animal Cartoons (2000) ISBN 978-0813527130
- Einstein Simplified: Cartoons on Science (2004) ISBN 978-0-8135-3386-5
- 101 Funny Things About Global Warming (2007) ISBN 978-1-59691-482-7
- Aside From The Cockroach, How Was Everything? Cartoons on the Dangers of Eating (2013)
- "Fantasy & Science Fiction: Stories (by author)". Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Sigma Xi: Sidney Harris". Sigma Xi website. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics [Hardcover]". Amazon.com. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Sigma Xi: Honorary Membership". Sigma Xi website. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society: Sidney Harris". Sig Maxi. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
|This profile of an American cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|