Sidney Langford Hinde
Sidney Langford Hinde, (23 July 1863 – 18 October 1930), Chevalier de l'ordre royal du lion; Membre honoraire de la Société belge de géographie; Medical Officer of the Interior, British East Africa; Late Captain, Congo Free State Forces; was a military medical officer involved in colonial operations in the Congo and East Africa in the 19th century.[full citation needed]
Sidney Hinde was the son of Surgeon George Langford Hinde (41st Foot Welsh Regiment) and Harrietta Tudor Rayner, daughter of Edward Charles Rayner, Esq. of England, married in London on 23 November 1861. They had two children, Sidney Langford Hinde, and Rhoda Hinde, (born 1865), both of whom were born in Canada. In 1895, Hinde was posted to Machakos Fort in the East African Protectorate Service where he was appointed Resident to the Maasai Chief and Collector of Maasailand.
Hinde wrote three books and an article for an ornithological journal:
- (1897). La Chute de la domination des arabes du Congo. (translated from the English). Brusells: Librairie Européene G. Muquardt. (in French).
- (1897). The Fall of the Congo Arabs. London: Methuen & Co.
- (1898). "On birds observed near Machako's Station, in British East Africa". The Ibis 4: 576-587.
- (1901). The Last of the Masai. (with Hildegarde Beatrice Hinde) London: William Heinemann.
- The peaks of Mount Kenya have been given names from three different sources. Firstly, several Maasai chieftains have been commemorated, with names such as Batian, Nelion and Lenana. These names were suggested by Mackinder, on the suggestion of Sidney Langford Hinde, who was the resident officer in Maasailand at the time of Mackinder's expedition.
- Google Books (2010)
- Pierce, Tim. "RootsWeb Mailing List Archives".
- Hinde, Sidney Langford (1901). The Last of the Masai. London: William Heinemann.
- "Arabs of the Congo" (May 29, 1897) New York Times
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Hind [sic]", p. 124).
- Hinde, Sidney Langford (1 January 1897). "La chute de la domination des arabes du Congo". Brussels: Librairie Européene G. Muquardt – via Google Books. (in French).
- Hinde, Sidney Langford (1 January 1897). "The Fall of the Congo Arabs". London: Methuen & Company – via Google Books.