Appearing in the Kidz Field Big Top at the Glastonbury Festival June 2008
7 June 1967
|Known for||Longest-serving presenter of CBeebies (2002–2013)|
Sidney Sloane (born Gary Gibson; 7 June 1967) is a British radio and television actor/presenter. Born to Afro-Caribbean parents, he grew up on the Wimbledon and Wandsworth borders of South London. He attended Southmead Primary School and John Griffiths R.C. Secondary School. He took the stage name Sidney Sloane when he changed career from stockbroking to study acting in 1997 at the Academy of Creative Training in Brighton, England.
A successful audition landed him a main role in the Belgrade Theatre Company's production of The Twits which took on a No.1 theatre tour of the UK. After an invitation to meet with some BBC exec's and a screen-test for the possible role as a presenter, a formal job offer was made. Sloane helped to launch CBeebies, the British children's television channel in 2002. He was the channel's only remaining original presenter when he left the presentation team on 12 April 2013. He had previously been a weekends presenter on BBC Southern Counties Radio.
His experiences since working for the BBC now also include many voice-over and radio dramas.
On 14 November 2012, Sloane appeared in a new televised production entitled Let's Play which aired on CBeebies. The series inspires pre-schoolers to discover the world through creative role-play and dressing-up. Let’s Play is co-presented by Rebecca Keatley.
Sloane toured with his own live production, 'Sid's Show' which was performed in venues across the UK until June 2013.
In Christmas 2012, Sloane appeared in pantomime as 'Jack' at the Ashcroft Theatre in Croydon for Evolution Productions. He also appeared in the Christmas edition of British television quiz show Celebrity Mastermind.
- "The Argus - Broker gives it up for the stage". The Argus (Brighton). 7 Mar 2001. Archived from the original on 29 March 2007. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "BBC - Press Office - CBeebies names its two new presenters". BBC Online. 20 January 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "CBeebies fixes lineup for the year". Indiantelevision.com. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 11 September 2010.[Link to precise page]
- "BBC - Southern Counties - Features - Sid Sloane". BBC Online. 2 April 2008. Archived from the original on 18 February 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Banijay Group - We are Banijay". Zodiakmedia.com. Retrieved 16 November 2017.[Link to precise page]
- "CBeebies presenter, Sid Sloane comes to Lancashire". Lancashire Telegraph. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Evolution Pantomimes". Evolution-productions.co.uk. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Review of Cinderella". Hillary Scott Writes. 24 December 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
|This article about an English television actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|