|Birth name||Paul Hartmut Würdig|
|Born||30 November 1980|
East Berlin, East Germany
|Genres||German hip hop|
|Labels||Aggro Berlin (2001–2009)|
Paul Hartmut Würdig (born 30 November 1980), better known as Sido, is a German rapper. He interprets his artist name as "super-intelligentes Drogenopfer" (super-intelligent drug victim). It used to stand for "Scheiße in dein Ohr" (shit into your ear), a line from his track "Terroarr".
Sido distinguishes himself by using provocative and aggressive lyrics. After his breakthrough with his debut album Maske in 2004, he was always seen wearing a silver skull mask. However, since 2005, he no longer wears the mask.
Würdig's career began in 1997, as one half of duo Royal TS (now A.i.d.S) with B-Tight, both of whom were later signed to the label Berlin hip hop Royal Bunker and then to Aggro Berlin in 2001. As of 2009, Sido is signed to Urban/Universal Music Group.
Würdig was born to a German father and a Sinti mother. At the age of eight, he and his younger sister were brought up by their mother in East Berlin in the Prenzlauer Berg neighborhood. In 1988, the family moved to West Berlin, where they first lived in emergency accommodation in Wedding along with many asylum seekers. They then moved into Märkisches Viertel, a high-rise residential area in the Berlin borough of Reinickendorf. During his childhood and youth, Märkisches Viertel had a high proportion of migrants and low-income families. There he attended the Bettina-von-Arnim-Oberschule and afterwards began an apprenticeship as an educator, which he never completed.
1997–2002: Early career
Sido has been active in the music business since 1997. Together with his best friend B-Tight he released several EPs and demos under the name Royal TS, which were never officially published, at the Berlin underground hip hop label Royal Bunker. Sido had been friends with DJ Tomekk for a long time. The two made a dubplate from Arschficksong and DJ Tomekk played them in clubs all over Germany, presenting Sido to a wider audience for the first time. Specter was art director for DJ Tomekk at that time. At a concert the duo got the attention of Halil, Specter and Spaiche - the later founders of the Aggro Berlin label.
2003–2004: First successes and Maske
Sido's solo career began in 2002 with the "Arschficksong" ("Ass-fuck song") on the sampler Aggro Ansage Nr. 1 and the "Weihnachtssong" ("Christmas song") on Aggro Ansage Nr. 3.
In 2004, Sido's debut album Maske was released, reaching No. 3 on the German charts and selling more than 180,000 copies to date, achieving gold status. The lead single "Mein Block" ("My hood") reached No. 13 on the German charts, the second single "Fuffies im Club" ("€50 notes in the club") reached No. 18 and the third single "Mama ist stolz" ("Mum is proud") reached No. 25. The original album was banned because of the song "Endlich Wochenende" ("Finally weekend") which, according to the Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons, glorified the use of drugs. The album was rereleased under the name "Maske X" with the song "Arschficksong" in replacement of "Endlich Wochenende". The song was also published (with the video slightly censored), for the first time as a single.
In September of the same year, he won a prestigious German music award for "Best Newcomer." The best-known song from that album, "Mein Block", describes life from a resident's perspective in the Märkisches Viertel, a low-income neighborhood of Berlin, detailing the narcotics trade, alcoholism, problems with police, and poverty in Sido's Block, or building.
2005–2006: Other projects and Ich
After this debut album, together with his Label colleagues B-Tight and Fler, he released two label samplers: Aggro Ansage Nr. 4 and Aggro Ansage Nr. 5 (which featured the new label artists Tony D and G-Hot).
Later he collaborated with rapper Harris, as the rap duo Deine Lieblings Rapper ("Your favorite rappers"). In 2005, they released their debut album Dein Lieblings Album ("Your favorite album"), with "Steh wieder auf" ("Get up again") as the only single.
In December 2006, Sido released his second album Ich, which reached No. 4 in the German album charts. Three singles ("Strassenjunge", "Ein Teil von mir" and "Schlechtes Vorbild") were released. The album achieved gold status.
2008: Ich und meine Maske and Popstars
His third album Ich und meine Maske was released at the end of May 2008. It reached No. 1 in the German album charts. The singles "Augen auf"/Halt dein Maul", "Carmen", "Herz", "Nein!" and "Beweg dein Arsch" had success in the charts.
In August 2008, Sido joined the seventh season of Popstars, called "Just 4 Girls", as a jury member, along with Detlef D! Soost and Loona. Many people were surprised, wondering why Sido, the rapper with his provocative and aggressive lyrics, would join a TV show like Popstars. At the end of Popstars, the band Queensberry was formed.
2009: Aggro Berlin
On 1 April 2009, the label Aggro Berlin was closed. Sido was then signed by Urban Records, a division of Universal Music Germany.
On 30 October 2009, Sido released his fourth studio album Aggro Berlin. The lead single "Hey du!" ranked No. 4 in the German Charts. In this song Sido talks about growing up in East Germany and his later life in West Berlin. He reported that he kept his East Berlin origins secret for a long time for fear of bullying.
Würdig has a son, whose name and date of birth are not known publicly, but he references him in the songs "Aggro Gold" and "2010", amongst others.
He began dating former Nu Pagadi lead singer Doreen Steinert in mid-2005 and on 14 February 2010 they became engaged. But in April 2012 they broke off their engagement. Just a few weeks later, in early May 2012, Würdig confirmed rumors that he had started dating German TV presenter Charlotte Engelhardt. Sido had a second son with Engelhardt in 2013.
The perceived rebellious tendencies of Sido's label affiliates B-Tight, Fler, and G-Hot, whose persona emphasize embittered racial or class standpoints, have garnered additional discussion in widely circulated publications.
MTV HipHop Open
July 2004, Sido performed live in Stuttgart for the festival MTV HipHop Open. During his performances he insulted Frankfurt rapper Azad's mother saying: "If we had a bed right here, I'd bang Azad's mother". A week later Sido and Azad met each other backstage, and after a short dispute, it escalated into a brawl that involved the artists of Aggro Berlin and Bozz Music. The security and the police arrived to stop the conflict, but Azad and his crew had fled already.
- No. Beste (2012)
- Kronjuwelen (2018)
Awards and certifications
- 2004: Bravo Otto in Gold in the category "National rapper"
- 2004: Comet in the category "National Newcomer"
- 2006: Bravo Otto in silver in the category "Best Rapper National" (Sido)
- 2006: Juice-Awards: 1st place in the category "Album National" for "Ich"
- 2007: Golden Tape for 15 No. 1 rankings "Strassenjunge" in the video on MTV's TRL
- 2007: Bravo Otto in silver in the category "National Hip-Hop"
- 2009: Swiss Music Award in the category "Best Urban Album International"
- 2009: Comet in the category "Best Song"
- 2010: Echo in the category "Best Video" for "Hey Du"!
- 2010: Comet in the category "Best Song"
- 2010: MTV Europe Music Award in the category Best German Act
- 2011: Comet in the category "Best Artist"
- 2012: Echo-winner in the category Bestes Video National for So mach ich es with Bushido
- Lars Marcel Feige and Sido (2006), Ich will mein Lied zurück (in German), Berlin: Schwarzkopf & Schwarzkopf Verlag, ISBN 978-3-89602-733-7
- "Sozialistische Grüße vom Ex-Gangsta-Rapper". Stern (in German). 5 November 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- "Interview mit Sido". Galore. VISIONS Verlag. 09: 63. June 2005.
- "Aggressives Aussehen: Specter, der Art Director von Aggro Berlin". Red Bull (in German). Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKAmyz0pKag SIDO singt im Song "T.O.M.E.K.K." " ... und die allererste Arschficksongplatte hat er auch mit ... "
- beni-mike (23 August 2005). "Sido". rap.de (in German). Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- "Bundesvision Song Contest". fan-lexikon.de (in German). Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Sido hat sich mit seiner Freundin verlobt". Die Welt (in German). 31 March 2010. Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- "Rüpel-Rapper Sido: Liebe kaputt. Dabei war die Hochzeit schon geplant". Bild (in German). 5 May 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- Sido und Charlotte Engelhardt sind ein Paar
- "Charlotte Würdig: Noch ein Baby von Sido!". Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Musik: Sido und DSDS-Vize Menowin sind verwandt". Die Welt (in German). 5 May 2010. Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- Haas, Daniel (7 December 2006). "HipHop-Star Sido: Deutsches Schädeltrauma". Der Spiegel (in German). ISSN 2195-1349. Retrieved 30 October 2021.
- Schlägerei beim HipHopOpen: Stellungnahmen von Bozz Music und Aggro Berlin Archived 19 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Auszeichnungen: DE Archived 6 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine AT Archived 1 February 2010 at WebCite CH