Siegfried Hansen (photographer)
Life and work
Hansen was born in 1961 in Meldorf, Germany. He lives and works in Hamburg, Germany. Hansen began as a street photographer in 2002 and joined the In-Public street photography collective in 2014. His work has been included in Fotoforum; Photographie; LFI, Leica Fotografie International; Professional Photographer and Fotocommunity Plus.
Hansen's book Hold the Line was published in 2015. Colin Pantall called it "street photography" but praised its use of color and composition, its diverse references to the work of photographers past and current, and the success of these references:
You're seeing something that you've seen before, but in a style that Hansen has made his own. He's doing the same thing others have done, but he's doing it differently. That's a really difficult thing to do, especially in an arena so laden with heavyweight genre as street photography.
- 2012: Der erwartete Zufall, Galerie Kunst-Nah, Hamburg, Germany
- 2015: Hold The Line, Freelens Galerie, Hamburg, Germany
- 2016: Streetphotography - Hold The Line, Palais für aktuelle Kunst, Glückstadt, Germany
- 2011: Fascination Street, as a member of the group Seconds2Real, Berlin, Galerie Meinblau.
- 2011: From Distant Street, Contemporary International Street Photography, Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA.
- 2011: Street Photography Now, Warsaw. One of forty participants.
- 2012: Fascination Street, as a member of the group Seconds2Real, Galerie Anzensberger, Vienna.
- 2013: Miami Street Photography Festival, Art Basel Miami Beach.
Publications by Hansen
Publications with contributions by Hansen
- Who's Who in Visual Art: Fine Art Photographers. Vol. 2015–16. Art Domain Whois, 2015. ISBN 978-3-98134-748-7.
- Publication #1. London: Nick Turpin, 2009. Essays by Hin Chua, David Gibson, Michael David Murphy and Turpin. Photographs by Siegfried Hansen, Martin Kollar, Joel Meyerowitz, Tod Papageorge, Trent Parke and Garry Winogrand. Edition of 2000 copies.
- Street Photography Now. London: Thames & Hudson, 2010. ISBN 978-0-500-54393-1 (hardback). London: Thames & Hudson, 2011. ISBN 978-0-500-28907-5 (paperback). Edited by Sophie Howarth and Stephen McLaren.
- Großartige Fotografen und Ihre Leidenschaften. Addison-Wesley, 2010. Twelve Photographers from Germany profiled.
- 100 Great Street Photographs. Munich, London, New York: Prestel, 2017. By David Gibson. ISBN 978-3791383132. Contains a commentary on and a photograph by Hansen.
- The book is profiled by Josef Chladek here.
- "The Fence: Siegfried". World Photography Organisation. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Siegfried Hansen: What Was He Thinking?". B. Blake Andrews. 15 October 2008. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Auf Fotopirsch in der Großstadt". Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "Siegfried Hansen joins in-public". In-Public. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "Der erwartete Zufall". April 2013.
- "Der erwartete Zufall" (PDF). 2012.
- "Posie des Zufalls, about street photography". 2012.
- "Hit the Street". 2011.
- "Straßen des Augenblicks". 2010.
- Casper, Jim (2015-08-11). "Surfaces in the Street". LensCulture. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Colin Pantall, "Hold the Line: A Book about Obedience", Colin Pantall's blog, 1 July 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Der erwartete Zufall". Galerie Kunst Nah, Hamburg. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Hold The Line". Freelens Galerie, Hamburg. 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Streetphotography - Hold The Line". Palais für aktuelle Kunst, Glückstadt. 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- "Fascination street". Galerie Meinblau, Berlin. 2011-10-15. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "From Distant Street". Galerie Hertz, Louisville (USA). 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Group exhibition with Street Photography Now participants". Museum of Printing Warsaw.
participant Siegfried Hansen
- "Group exhibition with Seconds2real". Galerie Anzensberger, Vienna. 2012-03-31. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Miami Street Photography Festival". Art Basel Miami Beach. 2013.
The 2013 finalists were selected by our panel of judges from among hundreds of submissions. Siegfried Hansen was one of the finalist photographer
- Official website
- "Interview with Siegfried Hansen – Veteran Street Photographer from Germany" 121clicks, March 2014
- "Capturing harmony on the streets" Interview by Eric Kim, December 2013
- Siegfried Hansen, Hamburg Street Photographer, interview
- "Surprising Street Stories", My Modern Met
- "Siegfried Hansen, Visual Street Jazz", Samsung Camera