This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Siegfried Mureșan in the European Parliament in Strasbourg
|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
1 July 2014
|Born||20 September 1981|
Hunedoara, Hunedoara County, Romania
|Political party|| Romania: |
National Liberal Party (PNL)
European People's Party (EPP)
|Alma mater|| Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies |
Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Siegfried Mureșan (born September 20, 1981 in Hunedoara, Romania) is a Romanian economist and politician, a member of the European People's Party Group (EPP Group) in the European Parliament and member of the National Liberal Party (Romania) (PNL). He was elected to the European Parliament for Romania in 2014. In the European Parliament, he is Vice Chair of the Committee on Budgets and Substitute Member in the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs. Since January 2015, he also holds the position of spokesman of the European People's Party (EPP).
Mureșan received a scholarship from the German Parliament (German: Deutscher Bundestag) to be part of its international traineeship program. He later became an advisor to the Chair of the Committee on the affairs of the European Union in German Parliament. He held that position for three years. In 2009, he moved to Brussels, Belgium, where he worked at the European Parliament until 2011.
In 2011, Mureșan took the position of political advisor on economic and social matters of the European People’s Party (EPP). In January 2014, he became a Senior Political Advisor. In March 2014, Mureșan became a member of the People's Movement Party (PMP), and participated in the European Parliament elections which were held on May 25, 2014. He occupied the second position in the PMP and obtained a five-year term in the European Parliament. He was elected Vice President of the Committee on Budgets, substitute member of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs and member of the Delegation to the EU - Moldova Parliamentary Cooperation Committee.
In July 2014, Mureșan was appointed President of the Youth of the PMP. On January 22, 2015, the President of the European People’s Party, Joseph Daul, announced Mureșan as the newly appointed political spokesman of EPP. On May 7, 2018, he joined the National Liberal Party (Romania), the largest member party of the EPP in Romania.
The European Parliament approved Mureșan’s report on the redundancies from Câmpia Turzii in September 2014, allocating EUR 3.57 million in European Globalisation Adjustment Fund money for the support of the redundant workers from Mechel Steel Plant from Câmpia Turzii. In July 2015, the Parliament approved aid worth 66.5 million EUR to compensate the damage caused by the floods of 2014 in Romania, Italy and Bulgaria in response to a report coordinated by Mureșan.
In 2016, Mureșan was appointed main negotiator of the EPP Group for the 2017 EU Budget. On 24 November 2016, the Committee on Budgets designated Mureșan as the European Parliament’s rapporteur for the EU Budget 2018, the first Romanian to take on this role.
From 8 to 12 December 2014, Mureșan organized a Moldovan art exhibition at the European Parliament in Brussels, entitled "Moldovan Art for Your Heart".
Mureșan participated as a European Parliament representative at the World Bank-IMF annual meeting in Washington DC, USA, from 6 to 9 October 2016. He participated as an international observer in the Election Observation Mission of the European Parliament during the two rounds of elections of the President of the Republic of Moldova on 30 October 2016 and 13 November 2016.
As Chief Negotiator of the European Parliament for the EU Budget 2018, one of Mureșan’s main priorities for the negotiations was the increase of the budget allocations for Eastern Neighbourhood countries, including the Republic of Moldova.
Mureșan criticized the measures taken by the Romanian Government and Romanian Parliament in 2017 and 2018 to amend judicial legislation. He took part in protests against the Romanian Government organized between January 2017 and February 2018 in Bucharest. On 7 February 2018, during the debate of the European Parliament on "Threats to the Rule of Law Caused by the Judicial Reform in Romania" Mureșan emphasized his support for the protesters, saying “the reality in Romania is as follows: there is a major discrepancy between what people want and what the ruling coalition wants. People want justice and rule of law. They want European values, while the politicians from the Government want to weaken state institutions and put justice under their control.”
In 2016, Mureșan married Cătălina Manea, an International Relations Officer at the European Antifraud Office (OLAF) since 2009.
- "Declarație de presă. Siegfried Mureșan: Mă alătur PNL ca să câștigăm alegerile europarlamentare și să scoatem PSD de la guvernare". www.siegfriedmuresan.eu.
- "Siegfried MUREŞAN - Home - MEPs - European Parliament". www.europarl.europa.eu.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-02-06. Retrieved 2015-02-06.
- "Siegfried MUREŞAN".
- "Joseph Daul on Twitter".
- "Siegfried MUREŞAN - MEPs - European Parliament". www.europarl.europa.eu.
- "Texts adopted - Tuesday, 7 July 2015 - Mobilisation of the EU Solidarity Fund: Floods in Romania, Bulgaria and Italy - P8_TA(2015)0245". www.europarl.europa.eu. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "An EU budget 2017 built on citizens' priorities". Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "Press release - 2018 EU Budget Approved: More Money for Jobs and Security". www.siegfriedmuresan.eu.
- "Comunicat de presa - Deputatul european Siegfried Mureşan aduce arta moldovenească la Parlamentul European". Siegfried Muresan. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "Comunicat de presă - Siegfried Mureșan, după Reuniunea anuală FMI - Banca Mondială: Populismul este principalul risc la adresa economiei mondiale". Siegfried Muresan.
- "Siegfried Mureșan, observator al PE: Alegerile din Republica Moldova au fost corecte; nu am observat fraude". Agerpres. 2016-10-31. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "Comunicat de presă - Parlamentul European a adoptat prioritățile deputatului european Siegfried Mureșan pentru Bugetul UE din 2018". Siegfried Muresan.
- "VIDEO-Europarlamentarul Siegfried Mureșan, la protestul #VavedemdinSibiu: Politicienii care nu se simt bine între oameni au o problemă!". Turnul Sfatului.
- "EP plenary debate". Europarl.Europa.eu.
- "Personal Life". Siegfried Muresan.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Siegfried Mureșan.|