|Directed by||Cristi Puiu|
|Produced by||Anca Puiu|
|Written by||Cristi Puiu|
|Music by||Bojan Gagić|
Sieranevada is a 2016 Romanian film directed by Cristi Puiu and starring Mimi Brănescu. The plot follows a successful neurologist who attends a family meal supposed to commemorate his deceased father. It was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. It was selected as the Romanian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
On 10th of January 2015, three days after the terrorist attack on the offices of Parisian weekly Charlie Hebdo and forty days after the death of his father, Lary, a doctor in his forties, is about to spend the Saturday at a family gathering to commemorate the deceased. But the occasion does not go according to expectations. Forced to confront his fears and his past, to rethink the place he holds within the family, Lary finds himself constraint to tell his version of the truth.
- Mimi Branescu - Lary
- Judith State - Sandra
- Bogdan Dumitrache - Relu
- Dana Dogaru - Nusa
- Sorin Medeleni - Toni
- Ana Ciontea - Ofelia
- Rolando Matsangos - Gabi
The film is produced through Mandragora SRL in collaboration with Studioul de Creaţie Cinematografică Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina's 2006 d.o.o., Croatia's Spiritus Movens, Macedonia's Sisters and Brother Mitevski Production and France's Alcatraz Films. It received 1,639,000 lei in support from the Romanian National Film Centre, 200,000 euro from Eurimages, 91,500 euro from the Croatian Audiovisual Centre and 84,000 euro from the Macedonian Film Fund.
Filming took place in Bucharest from January to March 2015.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 92% based on 48 reviews, and an average rating of 7.5/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Sieranevada targets a narrow viewing demographic, but hits its targets with intelligence, humor, and patient craft." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 82 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
- Best Film
- Best Director (Puiu)
- Best Screenplay (Puiu)
- Best Lead Actress (Dogaru)
- Best Supporting Actress (Ciontea)
- Best Editing (Letiţia Ştefănescu, Ciprian Cimpoi)
- List of submissions to the 89th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Romanian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Films 2016 - SIERANEVADA". Dubai International Film Festival. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Peter Debruge (11 May 2016). "Cannes Film Review: 'Sieranevada'". Variety. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Sieranevada". Cineuropa. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "PRODUCTION: Cristi Puiu Shooting Sierra-Nevada". Film News Europe. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Sieranevada". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- Blaga, Iulia (2015-02-20). "Production: Cristi Puiu Shooting Sierra-Nevada". Film New Europe. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- "2016 Cannes Film Festival Announces Lineup". IndieWire. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Cannes 2016: Film Festival Unveils Official Selection Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Cristi Puiu's "Sieranevada" - Romania's proposal for Oscar Foreign Language Film nominee". National Press Agency]. 17 August 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Kozlov, Vladimir (19 August 2016). "Oscars: Romania Selects 'Sieranevada' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Rapold, Nicolas. "Cannes Interview: Cristi Puiu". Film Comment. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "SIERANEVADA Snyopsis". Festival De Cannes. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Sieranevada (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- "Sieranevada Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- Stefan Dobroiu (22 March 2017). "Sieranevada nabs the main awards at the Gopos". Cineuropa.
- Vladimir Kozlov (22 March 2017). "Cristi Puiu's 'Sieranevada' Tops Romanian Film Awards". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 March 2017.