|Motto||Esse Quam Videri|
Motto in English
|To be, rather than to seem|
|Tagline||Find Your Amazing|
|Type||Public Community College|
|President||Willy Duncan IV|
|Colors||Cardinal and White|
|CCCAA, Big 8 Conference (California)|
Sierra College is a public community college in Rocklin, California. Sierra College is owned and operated by the Sierra Joint Community College District, a district that covers over 3,200 square miles (8,300 km2), serves Placer, Nevada and parts of El Dorado and Sacramento counties.
The college was officially founded in 1936 and is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. This is the date that the school uses as the official establishment, even though it had been operating under various names and places before this. It was established as "Placer Junior College". In 1954 the college was named "College of the Sierras" with a wolverine as the mascot. There were other junior colleges named after regions. These included: College of the Redwoods, College of the Sequoias & College of the Siskiyous  The main campus in Rocklin was chosen by 1960, out of 35 possible sites. The planned construction of Interstate 80 was a consideration in the decision making. In 1961, the new campus opened.
It is governed by a board of seven trustees who are elected district-wide and a student trustee. The constituent groups within the district—trustees, faculty, students, management and classified staff—are committed to the principle of shared governance for assuring broad and deep participation in all decisions critical to the college and district. Only five individuals have held the post of president in the last 50 years.
Approximately 125 degree and certificate programs are offered in a wide variety of configurations taught by 216 full and 650 part-time faculty members. Faculty typically has the minimum of a master's degree in their fields and enhance their teaching with research, authorship and industry expertise. Classes are offered both in traditional "on-ground" classrooms and, increasingly, in an online format.
Student body association
A California nonprofit public benefit corporation named "Associated Students of Sierra College" (ASSC) has been operating at Sierra College since 1959. The board of trustees of the Sierra Joint Community College District has authorized ASSC to operate at Sierra College as a "student body association". In addition, ASSC "is recognized as the official voice for the students in District consultation processes".
- Buffy Wicks, California State Assembly member, District 15
- Ryan Guzman, actor and model
- Alex Obert - Current captain of Team USA's Water Polo team, competed in the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- Hans Ostrom, writer and professor
- John Romero, game designer
- Heather Rene Smith, Playboy Playmate of the Month (February 2007)
- James LeVoy Sorenson, inventor and entrepreneur
- Fenuki Tupou, offensive guard for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Brandon Aiyuk, NFL wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers
- "A Road That Never Ends". Sierra College. Archived from the original on 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- "CCCAA". cccaasports.org. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "nation's exclusive clubs". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2018-09-07.
- California Secretary of State. Associated Students of Sierra College. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- Sierra Joint Community College District. Board Policy 5400. Retrieved 2020-04-23.