Sierra Nevada (Spain)
View of the Sierra Nevada
|Elevation||3,478 m (11,411 ft)|
|Location||Provinces of Granada and Almería|
|Parent range||Penibaetic System|
The Sierra Nevada (meaning "snowy range" in Spanish) is a mountain range in the region of Andalucia, provinces of Granada and Almería in Spain. It contains the highest point of continental Spain, Mulhacén at 3,478 metres (11,411 ft) above sea level.
It is a popular tourist destination, as its high peaks make skiing possible in one of Europe's most southerly ski resorts, in an area along the Mediterranean Sea predominantly known for its warm temperatures and abundant sunshine. At its foothills is found the city of Granada and, a little further, Almería and Málaga.
Parts of the range have been included in the Sierra Nevada National Park. The range has also been declared a biosphere reserve. The Sierra Nevada Observatory and the IRAM radiotelescope are located on the northern slopes at an elevation of 2,800 metres (9,200 ft).
The Sierra Nevada was formed during the Alpine Orogeny, a mountain-building event that also formed the European Alps to the east and the Atlas Mountains of northern Africa across the Mediterranean Sea to the south. The Sierra as observed today formed during the Paleogene and Neogene Periods (66 to 1.8 million years ago) from the collision of the African and Eurasian continental plates.
Central to the mountain range is a ridge running broadly west-south-west - east-north-east. For a substantial distance, the watershed stays consistently above 3,000 metres (9,800 ft).
On the southern side of the range, several long but narrow river valleys lead off towards the south-west, separated by a number of subsidiary ridges.
On the steeper and craggier northern side, the valleys have less regular orientations. This side is dominated by the Rio Genil which starts near Mulhacén and into which many of the other rivers flow.
|Peak (> 3,000m)||Height (m)|
|Cerro los Machos||3,324|
|Puntal de Siete Lagunas||3,248|
|Puntal de la Caldera||3,226|
|Pico de Elorrieta||3,206|
|Crestones Río Seco||3,198|
|Tajos de la Virgen||3,160|
|Tosal del Cartujo||3,152|
|Pico de La Atalaya||3,148|
|Puntal de Vacares||3,143|
|Tajos del Nevero||3,120|
|Raspones Río Seco||3,120|
|Picón de Jeres||3,090|
|Tajo de los Machos||3,088|
|Juego de Bolos||3,018|
|Pico del Caballo||3,013|
|Temp. max °C (°F)||0.3 (32.5)||-0.9 (30.4)||0.6 (33.1)||3.2 (37.8)||4.6 (40.3)||14.2 (57.6)||21.6 (70.9)||19.8 (67.6)||14.2 (57.6)||10.4 (50.7)||3.5 (38.3)||2.6 (36.7)||7.8 (46.0)|
|Temp. min °C (°F)||-6.1 (21.0)||-7.9 (17.8)||-7.5 (18.5)||-4.3 (24.3)||-2.9 (26.8)||5.6 (42.1)||11.9 (53.4)||10.6 (51.1)||5.7 (42.3)||2.2 (36.0)||-3.3 (26.1)||-4.0 (24.8)||0.0 (32.0)|
|Temp. avg °C (°F)||-2.9 (26.8)||-4.4 (24.1)||-3.4 (25.9)||-0.6 (30.9||0.9 (33.6)||9.9 (49.8)||16.6 (61.9)||15.2 (59.4)||9.9 (49.8)||6.3 (43.3)||0.1 (32.2)||-0.7 (30.7)||3.9 (39.0)|
|Precip. mm (in)||86.7 (3.41)||91.2 (3.59)||78.8 (3.10)||53.8 (2.12)||53.6 (2.11)||29.7 (1.17)||6.1 (0.24)||11.7 (0.46)||33.7 (1.33)||69.0 (2.72)||85.2 (3.35)||93.1 (3.67)||692 (27.24)|
Sierra Nevada - view from Granada city
- "Datos climátológicos de Sierra Nevada" (in Spanish). Phytosociological Research Center.
- Francisco Pérez Raya, Joaquín Molero Mesa, Francisco Valle Tendero, 1992: "Parque Natural de Sierra Nevada. Paisaje, fauna, flora, itinerarios". Ed. Rueda. Madrid. ISBN 84-7207-067-0 (Spanish)
- "Flora de la Tundra de Sierra Nevada". Pablo Prieto Fernández, Ed. Universidad de Granada. ISBN ISBN 84-600-1810-5 (Spanish)
- "Sierra Nevada: Guía de Montaña". Aurelio del Castillo y Antonio del Castillo. Ed. Penibética, 2003. ISBN 84-932022-3-1 (Spanish)
- "Sierra Nevada, Spain". NASA Earth Observatory. Retrieved 2006-04-28.
- English language magazine for the region
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sierra Nevada (Spain).|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1905 New International Encyclopedia article Sierra Nevada (Spain).|
- Google Maps - Satellite Photo
- (Spanish) Sierra Nevada Ski Resort - official site
- Sierra Nevada ski resort - trail map
- Maps of the Sierra Nevada
- nevasport.com - XVII sport week - Old Pictures
- (Spanish) Natural Park Sierra Nevada
- Costa Tropical News.com - English language magazine for the region
- (Spanish) Sulayr