Sierra Trading Post
|Founded||Reno, Nevada, U.S. (1986)|
Number of locations
|30 stores (Apr 2018)|
Number of employees
Sierra Trading Post is an online, brick-and-mortar, and catalog retailer of off-price merchandise operated by the TJX Companies. The Cheyenne, Wyoming-based company offers products in categories such as outdoor recreation, fitness and adventure gear, and apparel, along with footwear, clothing, and home decor. Sierra Trading Post sells merchandise through 30 retail stores (as of June 2018), two mailed catalog titles, and a company website. It carries products from approximately 3,000 name-brand manufacturers.
SierraTradingPost.com launched in December 1998 and was included in the "Internet Retailer Top 400 List" in 2004 and the "Top 500 List" in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011.
Sierra Trading Post was founded in Sparks, Nevada, in 1986. It was acquired for an estimated $200 million by Framingham, Massachusetts-based TJX Companies in 2012. The original Sierra Trading Post had 500 square feet (46 m2) of office space. The existing stores average 18,000 sqft of operating space. The business claims to hold to three guiding principles: giving optimal customer service, maintaining low operating costs to increase customer savings, and "treat others as we would want to be treated". On January 12, 2009, during the financial crisis, Sierra Trading Post laid off approximately 130 employees at the retail and outlet store (and fulfillment center) in Cheyenne, a first in the company's history.
The first Sierra Trading Post catalog had 16 pages of hand-drawn merchandise printed in two colors. As of December 2017, the catalog is no longer in production.
- The "core" catalog, titled Sierra Trading Post, features the broadest range of products.
- The Sierra Trading Post catalog carries products for women balancing work, family and home. It includes active and casual office wear, children's clothing, home decor and footwear.
Sierra Trading Post operates brick-and-mortar retail stores in various locations within the United States
Before 1992, Sierra Trading Post was headquartered in Reno.
As a part of the TJX Companies, Sierra Trading Post stores often are in the same shopping center as a sibling store; a Sierra Trading Post usually is found with HomeGoods, and a T.J. Maxx or Marshalls.
- "Internet Retailer Top 500 Retail Web Sites". InternetRetailer.com. Archived from the original on May 9, 2008. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "Sierra Trading Post sells for $200M to T.J. Maxx parent". Wyoming Business Report. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- "About Sierra Trading Post". SierraTradingPost.com. Retrieved February 17, 2008.
- "Sierra Trading Post Layoffs". KGWN-TV. Retrieved January 13, 2009.
- "Sierra Trading Post and HomeGoods to Open at Royal Ridge Center in Nashua, NH". Boston Real Estate Times. November 14, 2017. Retrieved February 14, 2018.