Sierra de Huétor
|Sierra de Huétor|
Valley in the Sierra de Huétor
|Elevation||1,675 m (5,495 ft)|
|Location||Granada Province, Andalusia|
|Parent range||Subbaetic System|
|Age of rock||Cenozoic and Mesozoic|
The range is located to the northeast of Granada city. The altitude of the summits ranges between 1,100 metres (3,600 ft) and almost 1,700 metres (5,600 ft) displaying a variety of different climates and habitats. Its highest point is 1,675 m high Cerro Buenavista.
The Moors used one of the mountain springs in the range, the Fuente Grande in Alfácar, to supply water to the Albaicín in Grenada. The water was carried along an irrigation channel named Aynadamar. Traces of more recent history are seen in trenches and fortifications on the Cerro de Maúllo which were used by the fighting armies in Granada during the Spanish Civil War.
This mountain range includes the deep valleys of the Darro and the Fardes, as well as cliffs, caves, narrow ravines and springs. The mountains are covered in Mediterranean vegetation, with shrubland alternating with holm oak. The range includes part of the municipal term of Huétor Santillán.
Parts of the Sierra de Huétor, along with the neighboring ranges of Sierra de la Alfaguara, Sierra de Cogollos, Sierra de Diezma, Sierra de Beas, Sierra de la Yedra, as well as the southern part of the Sierra de Arana, is a protected area under the name Sierra de Huétor and la Alfaguara Natural Park (Parque Natural de la Sierra de Huétor y la Alfaguara).
- Jo Williams. "Sierra de Huétor". Andalucia.com. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Área R. Aguas Blancas - Cerro Buenavista (Sierra de Huetor)
- "Cerro de Maúllo". Trek Sierra Nevada. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Página descriptiva del Parque
- "Forests walks and snowshoe trails in the Sierra de Huetor north of Granada". Sierra Nevada News. March 26, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Relieve - Sierra de Huétor
- Francisco Valle, Consuelo Díaz de la Guardia. "Parque Natural de la Sierra de Huétor y la Alfaguara". Waste. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Media related to Sierra de Huétor at Wikimedia Commons
- Relieve - Geología de Granada
- Entorno: Parque natural Sierra de Huétor, Granada
- Parque natural de la Sierra de Huétor
|This article about a location in Andalusia, Spain, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|