Sigbjørn Apeland with The Real Ones
at Vossajazz 2015.
(Photo by Knut Andersen)
10 May 1966 |
Sigbjørn Apeland (born 10 May 1966 was raised in Sveio, Norway) is a musician (organ and Harmonium) and scientist, known from several recordings and for his work in the borderland between folk music, church music and improvisational music.
Apeland is a graduate in performing Church music at the Rogaland Musikkonservatorium (1988) and ethnomusicology from University of Bergen (1998), before he as fellow at Griegakademiet completed his Dr. art. with the thesis Kyrkjemusikkdiskursen: Musikklivet i Den norske kyrkja som diskursiv praksis (Church music discourse: The music scene in the Norwegian church as discursive practice, 2005).
Apeland contributes on numerous album releases by Nils Økland (1995–), Reidun Horvei (1998), Ingeleiv Kvammen and Olav Kvammen (2000), Åsne Valland Nordli (2001), Marylands (2001), and Agnes Buen Garnås (2002). For the Vossajazz he released the album Fryd (1998), in collaboration with Berit Opheim (vocals), Bjørn Kjellemyr (bass), Einar Mjølsnes (Hardingfele) and Per Jørgensen (trumpet). With Berit Opheim he released the album Den Blide Sol (2007).
- 1998: Sette Meg I Huskestong (NorCD), with Småkvedarane frå Voss
- 1998: Fryd (Vossa Jazz Records), with Einar Mjølsnes, Per Jørgensen, Berit Opheim & Bjørn Kjellemyr
- 2007: Den Blide Sol (NorCD), with Berit Opheim
- 2009: 1982 (NorCD), with Øyvind Skarbø & Nils Økland
- 2011: Lysøen - Hommage À Ole Bull (ECM Records), with Nils Økland recorded at Lysøen
- 2016: Bumblin' Creed, with Padang Food Tigers
- "Kyrkjemusikk som samtidskultur". Notification of submitted dr.art. (in Norwegian). University of Bergen. 2005-04-29. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Sigbjørn Apeland". CV (in Norwegian). University of Bergen. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Dyvik, Jan-Egil (2014-04-12). "Sigbjørn Apeland fekk Vossa jazz-prisen" (in Norwegian). Avisa Hordaland. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- "Lysøen - Hommage à Ole Bull". Music reviews. ECM Records. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sigbjørn Apeland.|
|Recipient of the Vossajazzprisen