|Original author(s)||Strahinja Val Marković|
|Developer(s)||Kevin Hendricks and Doug Massay|
|Initial release||1 August 2009|
0.9.10 / 27 July 2018
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Windows, macOS and Linux|
|Type||Desktop publishing software|
As a cross-platform application, Sigil is distributed for the Windows, macOS and Linux platforms under the GNU GPL license. Sigil supports both WYSIWYG and code-based editing of EPUB files, as well as the import of HTML and plain text files.
Sigil has been developed by Strahinja Val Marković and others since 2009. From July 2011 to June 2015 John Schember was the lead developer. In June 2015 development of Sigil was taken over by Kevin Hendricks and Doug Massay.
Sigil's features include:
- Full UTF-16 and EPUB 2 specification support
- Multiple views: book, code and preview view
- WYSIWYG editing in book view
- Table of contents generator with multi-level heading support
- Metadata editor with full support for all metadata entries
- Hunspell based spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- Full regular expression (PCRE) support for find and replace
- Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets
- Integrated API to external HTML and graphics editors
- FlightCrew validator for EPUB standard compliance validation (separate plugin)
Sigil has full EPUB 2 specifications support, but only limited EPUB 3 support. Since version 0.9.3 of January 2016, the developers have been focusing on "improving Sigil’s ability to work with and generate epub3 ebooks without losing any of its epub2 capabilities".
- Massay, Doug (27 July 2018). "Sigil-0.9.10 Released". Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- Benthin, Falko (4 August 2009). "Freier epub-Editor Sigil erschienen". Pro-Linux.de. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- Diedrich, Oliver. "Der kleine E-Autor: E-Books im Epub-Format selbst erstellen". c't 25/2009. p. 146. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- Schember, John. "Taking Over Sigil". Sigil development blog. Archived from the original on 2017-12-23. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- Chris von Eitzen (31 October 2012), Sigil EPUB ebook editor 0.6.0 released, The H, archived from the original on 4 April 2013, retrieved 3 November 2012
- Official website
- Sigil on GitHub
- Old code repository
- Sigil development blog
- Sigil users' forum
- Ebook editing with Sigil LWN.net, 2011
|This free-software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|