|Founder||Simone Oliveira Xavier
Rene Xavier Filho
|Headquarters||New Brighton, Minnesota|
|Products||Cosmetics & beauty|
Number of employees
Sigma Beauty (also known as Sigma) is an international cosmetics company, selling brushes, makeup, skin care and accessories.
Sigma was founded in 2008 by Brazilian natives Simone Oliveira Xavier and her husband, Rene Xavier Filho, in their basement in New Brighton, Minnesota. They serve as Executive Creative Director and Chief Executive Officer, respectively. Oliveira, a former veterinarian who holds a PhD in infectious diseases, was previously working as a clinical professor at the University of Minnesota. She received two patents in the field of swine medicine. Filho is a civil engineer and longtime entrepreneur.
The couple, who moved to Minnesota in 1999, combined their knowledge of engineering and scientific research to pioneer the company, which began as a way to simply export American cosmetics to family members in Brazil. Seeing an opening to expand, Oliveira and Filho quickly grew the business, designing brushes and sending products to influential fashion bloggers.
Sigma’s brushes and kits are designed in the United States. Some of their items include the Dry ‘n Shape, a patent-pending brush care product that dries and reshapes brushes 4 to 6 hours after cleaning them; a vegan line of brushes made with synthetic fibers, for improved makeup application; and a patent-pending glove one can use to wash brushes. Their products have been recommended by American beauty magazines and websites like Glamour and xoJane.com, as well as international outlets such as Folha de S. Paulo and Shine Latina from Yahoo! Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist, Mario Dedivanovic, has said that Sigma’s are one of his favorite lines of brushes, and that he and Kardashian love the Sigma extravaganza body brush in particular.
In December 2012, Sigma opened its first physical store in the Mall of America in Minnesota, the most visited shopping mall in the US annually. The store sells Sigma brushes, kits and makeup.
Sigma increased its sales every year from 2009 to 2012, and expects to increase by nearly 50% in 2013. They have over 13,000 online affiliates, who earn a commission by generating sales of Sigma products from new customers through links on social networking sites. The company ships products to over 150 different countries; as of 2012, 60% of the company’s revenue is earned overseas. It has been called “one of the fastest-growing companies in the beauty industry.”
- Allison Kaplan, “A Brush With Success,” Mpls.St.Paul Magazine, July 1, 2013.
- Michelle Knoll, “MN-Made Beauty Company Goes From Basement to Booming Business,” Channel 5 ABC Eyewitness News, October 17, 2011.
- “Sigma Beauty,” Star Tribune. Accessed August 16, 2012.
- “Local Makeup Company Exploding Across The Country,” WCCO This Morning, CBS Minnesota, July 30, 2013.
- “Inventors Honored,” University of Minnesota: News, February 25, 2011.
- “Modified live (JMSO strain) Haemophilus parasuis vaccine,” Simone R. Oliveira et al, December 28, 2006.
- Thomas Lee, “Social media a thing of beauty,” Star Tribune, November 6, 2011.
- D. Graham Kostic, “Simone Oliveira Xavier,” Glossed and Found. Accessed August 21, 2012.
- Shannon Buonsanti, “Guide to buying gifts for women,” The Orange County Register, November 16, 2011.
- “New year, new makeup brushes,” Insiderbeautybuzz.com, January 4, 2012.
- India-Jewel Jackson, “$10 and Under: Best Budget Hair, Makeup, and Skin Beauty Buys Of The Week,” Glamour, July 20, 2012.
- India-Jewel Jackson, “Confession: I May or May Not, But Definitely Do Hoard Makeup Brushes,” xoJane.com, July 31, 2012.
- Heloisa Negrao, “Brushes no secret,” Folha de S. Paulo, January 13, 2012.
- Charleen Gonzalez, “Easy Steps for the Perfect Smoky Eye,” Shine Latina from Yahoo!, July 5, 2012.
- Emma Bussey, “Celebrity beauty special: Kim Kardashian’s make-up secrets,” Starlounge.com, November 25, 2011.
- Thomas Lee, “Role reversal: Online retailers seek physical stores,” Star Tribune, June 15, 2013.
- Maria McGinty, "Now Open + Giveaway," MOA blog, December 10, 2012.
- Joe Yogerst, "America's Most-Visited Shopping Malls," Travel + Leisure, December 2011.