Signature (dance group)
Performing at the Save The World Award 2009
Signature are English dance duo Suleman Mirza and Madhu Singh. Their style of dance is British Bhangra and they frequently base their performances around Michael Jackson songs, such as "Billie Jean" and "Thriller". They gained wide recognition during their performances in the second series of Britain's Got Talent, in which they were runners-up to the winner street dancer George Sampson.
Suleman Mirza is a trainee solicitor/lawyer His involvement concerns the Michael Jackson tribute moves of the dance. Madhu Singh works at PC World in terminal 5 at London Heathrow Airport. Singh's main involvement is entering part-way through the act and performing Bhangra dance. Mirza, a British Muslim of Pakistani descent, and Singh, a British Sikh of Indian descent, met when they were both auditioning separately for a student talent contest in 2000 at the University of Westminster. Being from the same part of South Asia, Punjab (a region that was carved into modern Pakistan and India during the Partition of 1947), a place well known for its dance and music, they were both interested in performing together. At the time, Mirza was a full-time economics and business student at the University of Westminster. This led to the formation of their dance group, Signature, in 2001. Since then, they performed their acts in various British Asian and Bollywood-themed shows, sometimes alongside several Bollywood movie stars.
In addition, Mirza has worked with Chris Brown, Leona Lewis, McFly, Dannii Minogue, Jay Sean, Alexandra Burke, Sugababes, and choreographer Lavelle Smith Junior (who has choreographed for Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and Beyoncé Knowles). In 2006, Mirza performed for Michael Jackson at the televised World Music Awards 2006 held in Earls Court, London, where he had met Jackson in person. Singh, meanwhile, has hosted television shows on the Zee Music channel, and had also appeared on the music video for Jay Sean's "Eyes on You" in 2004.
Britain's Got Talent
On Britain's Got Talent in their audition in London, which aired on 24 April 2008, Signature performed to "Nachna Onda Nei" by Tigerstyle featuring Kaka Bhaniawala—a bhangra tune mixed to the beat of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". They combined the Michael Jackson lyrics and style of dancing with traditional bhangra style music and dancing in a comedy dance act. Before the audition, Mirza said: "I don't think the judges will have ever seen an act like mine before...in this act there will be a lot of moon walking, but there is a twist, and if they weren't Michael Jackson fans before they may even turn into one."
Mirza is then shown moonwalking around the stage, and performing Michael Jackson style dance moves. As he dances, Madhu Singh, dressed in a white coat, walks past the show presenters Ant & Dec at the side of the stage and makes his way onto the stage with a broom. The two then start a Bhangra/Michael Jackson "dance off", bringing with it a standing ovation from the audience and one of the judges, Amanda Holden.
Before the final show, Simon Cowell said that he believed that Signature were one of five acts who could win the show. In the final they again performed to "Nachna Onda Nei" and finished in the top three alongside street dancer, George Sampson and boy soprano, Andrew Johnston. Sampson won the show with Signature finishing as runners-up.
After Britain's Got Talent
Following the end of the second series of Britain's Got Talent, Signature were given the "official stamp of approval by Michael Jackson himself", while members of the Jackson family have become their fans and got in touch with Signature soon after the show ended.
In June 2008, Signature were "offered a six-figure deal to be the face of Virgin Media" for its forthcoming "Bollywood on Demand" TV service. The managing director of marketing at Virgin Media, James Kydd, has commented, "Getting Signature on-board could be the perfect way for new audiences to find out more about Bollywood."
In May 2009 they appeared in series 2, episode 5 of The Omid Djalili Show where they danced and Djalili joined in with their dance act. Signature also appeared at the Spice Times Awards 2010 as the main act. On 27 July 2012, Signature made an appearance at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
In 21 May 2016, they performed in one of London's biggest Asian comedy and entertainment events hosted by Studio1 Media. They performed alongside many other notable faces such as; Nadia Ali, Ezza (Ezzakins), Rumena Begum (Rumena_101), Sham Idrees, Karim Metwaly (AreWeFamousNow), Sheikh Akbar, Tasha Tah, Zack Knight, Mumzy Stranger, Char Avell, Shaful Khan, Jernade Miah, Babrul Hoque (Bengali Blitz), Kawsar Ahmed (Kash), Nishat Monsur (Nish), Islah Abdur-Rahman and Michael Truong from the Corner Shop Show, Dulzy Ahmed, Hussnain Lahori, Humza Arshad, Rameet Kaur, Iksy and Bambi Bains (TeamPBN).
- "George Sampson wins Britain's Got Talent". The Daily Telegraph. 1 June 2008. Retrieved 1 June 2008.
- "REDBRIDGE: Britain's Got Talent dancer loses final". Redbridge Guardian. 1 June 2008. Retrieved 1 June 2008.
- Celia Walden (30 May 2008). "Britain's Got Talent: dancing to the same beat". London: The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- Knight, Kathryn (7 June 2008). "The double act who stormed Britain's Got Talent reveal why they're BOTH proud to be British". London: The Daily Mail. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Suleman Mirza". Signature. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Mashu Singh". Signature. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- on YouTube
- "Dancer thrills on Britain's Got Talent". news.com.au. 28 April 2008. Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- "Britain's Got Talent: The escapologist who can't escape, a Bhangra Michael Jackson and, yup, more cute kids". London: The Daily Mail. 25 April 2008. Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- Hilton, Ben (27 May 2008). "Two 'Talent' acts make it through to final". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (31 May 2008). "Cowell reveals five 'Talent' favourites". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 June 2008.
- Tom Bryant (2 June 2008). "For Britain's Got Talent Final!". Unrealitytv. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- Tom Bryant (4 June 2008). "BGT's dance act Signature to be face of Virgin's Bolly TV". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "The X Factor show is coming". Belper News. 19 December 2008. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- on YouTube
"Spice Times Restaurant Awards 2010 Press Release". Spice Times. 13 December 2010. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
The show featured breathtaking performances from the energetic and hilarious Signature...