Its focus include issues such as labour rights, domestic violence, food insecurity and alcohol abuse. The union has over 4000 employed and unemployed members including those living on farms in Stellenbosch, Grabouw, Villiersdorp, Franschhoek, Ceres, Rawsonville, Paarl and Wellington.
In 2011 it had around 5 000 members on over 200 farms in ten different districts of the Western Cape.
- Bhumi Uchhed Pratirodh Committee in India
- EZLN in Mexico
- Fanmi Lavalas in Haiti
- Homeless Workers' Movement in Brazil
- Landless Workers' Movement in Brazil
- Movement for Justice en el Barrio in the United States of America (USA)
- Narmada Bachao Andolan in India
- Take Back the Land in the USA
- The Farm Workers' Strike: It's Far From Over, by Anna Majavu, SACSIS, 15 November 2012
- "Sikhula Sonke". Women on Farms.
- "In Solidarity: A week of radical actions including a march on Parliament by Sikhula Sonke, the farmworkers trade union". Anti-Eviction Campaign.
- "Farm workers announce election boycott". WestCapeNews.
- "No Land! No House! No Vote!". War on Want.
- Agents of Change? Post-Apartheid Social Movements, by Anciano, Fiona, Rhodes University, 2013