Sikkim Manipal University
|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sikkim Manipal University Logo
Motto in English
|Chancellor||JINU Sararajan, Governor of Sikkim|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr Somnath Mishra|
|Location||5th Mile, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim, India|
|Campus||Suburban / Rural|
|Colours||Pickled bean and Black|
|Affiliations||AIU,DEC, All India Council for Technical Education AICTE|
Sikkim Manipal University (SMU) is a funded, co-educational, public-private university located in Gangtok, Sikkim, India. Established in 1995, the university is credited as being the first P3 educational and health care initiative in the region.
- 1 History
- 2 Accreditation
- 3 List Of Colleges And Courses Offered
- 3.1 Sikkim Manipal College Of Physiotherapy
- 3.2 School Of Basic & Applied Sciences
- 3.3 Department Of Humanities And Social Sciences
- 3.4 Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Technology
- 3.5 Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Medical Sciences
- 3.6 Sikkim Manipal College Of Nursing
- 3.7 Department of Hospital Administration
- 4 Central Referral Hospital, Tadong
- 5 Ranking
- 6 Facilities
- 7 Distance Education
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences (now known as Sikkim Manipal University) came into existence on November 15, 1992, after the signing of an agreement between the Government of Sikkim and the Manipal Pai Foundation. The aim was to impart exemplary educational opportunities and health care services in the State of Sikkim and elsewhere.
The University was established in 1995 with the passing of the Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences Act (Act No. 10 of 1995).
The university has two campuses; the Medical campus, and the Technology campus. It is recognized by the University Grants Commission under Section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 vide letter No F. 9-7/96(CPP-I) dated 9 Dec 1998, and approved by the Government of India. All the courses run by the university have been approved by regulatory bodies like Medical Council of India (MCI), Nursing Council of India, Indian Association of Physiotherapy, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), and the Distance Education Council.
The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical, and Technological Sciences (Amendment) Act No. 13 of 2009 was passed by the Sikkim Legislative Assembly on 12th Dec 2009 and received the assent of the governor of Sikkim on 22 January 2010. Vide Notification No. 13/LD/P/2010, dated: 08/04/2010 of Sikkim Government, Sikkim Manipal University of Health Medical and Technological Sciences was changed to Sikkim Manipal University.
According to the said Act, the university would be able to disseminate advanced knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities for promoting interdisciplinary studies in the university.
In 2012, the University introduced the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences. The department covers subjects like Sociology, Political Science, History, English, and Commerce.
SMU is a UGC-recognized, private university.
In 2012, Sikkim Manipal University had been ordered by the UGC to shut down all study centers outside Sikkim. In its judgement on a petition filed by SMU against the UGC order, the Sikkim high court held that SMU is bound by the order from the UGC.
SMU is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and its recognition with Distance Education Council (DEC) was pending with UGC subsequent to Sikkim high court's order dated 26.06.2015.
The UGC has now allowed admissions for the year 2016-17. Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok is recognised by UGC to continue offering programs through Open & Distance Learning (ODL) mode for the session 2016-2017 (F.No. UGC/DEB-II/SMU/Recog./2015 Vol. V), dated 21 March 2016.
In the final order to judgement in wp(c) 04 of 2013 on 26.06.2015 Hon. High Court of Sikkim upheld the territorial policy of UGC and at the same time validated the degrees of SMU distance education students who were enrolled in any program of SMU until the date of judgement. Subsequently, the court came up with a clarification three days later, on 29.06.15, explaining the exact position of student’s degrees.
The UGC then filed a SL petition in Supreme Court on 23.09.15 that at the same was dismissed by Supreme Court, protecting the degrees of students.
UGC has issued a notice on 01.10.2015 on its website ugc.ac.in, in which the three judgements related to SMU have been uploaded. UGC was expected to take a decision on SMU's distance education programs within six months starting from court's order dated 26.06.2015. Until then, SMU has shut down its study centers all over India and abroad, except in the state of Sikkim.
List Of Colleges And Courses Offered
Sikkim Manipal College Of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Master of Physiotherapy
School Of Basic & Applied Sciences
- BS Engineering
- B.Sc in Information Technology
- M.Sc in Information Technology
- M.Sc in Chemistry
- M.Phil in Mathematics
- M.Tech in Structural Engineering
- M.Tech in VLSI Design & Embedded Systems
- M.Tech in Process Control and Instrumentation
- M.Sc in Mathematics
- M.Tech in Production Engineering
- M.Sc in Physics
- M.Sc in Environmental Science
- M.Tech in Material Science & Technology
- PG Diploma in Geo Informatics
Department Of Humanities And Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Arts
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Arts
Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Technology
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- B.Tech in Information Technology
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering
- B.Tech in Electrical And Electronic Engineering
- Lateral B.Tech (ECE, CSE, EEE, IT, ME, CE, AEI)
- Bachelor of Computer Applications
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- M.Tech in Computer Science & Engineering
- M.Tech in Power Electronics
- M.Tech in Digital Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Master of Computer Applications
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Diploma in e-Governance
Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Medical Sciences
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology
- Integrated M.Sc. in Medical Biotechnology
- MD (Biochemistry)
- MD (Microbiology)
- MD (Community Medicine)
- MD (General Medicine)
- MD (Psychiatry)
- MS (ENT)
Sikkim Manipal College Of Nursing
- B.Sc Nursing
- M.Sc Nursing
Department of Hospital Administration
- Master in Hospital Administration
Central Referral Hospital, Tadong
On 4 March 1997, Dr. Pawan Chamling, Chief Minister of Sikkim, inaugurated the Central Referral Hospital, Tadong (CRH). With a floor space of more than 3,00,000 sq. ft., this tertiary care centre has 500 beds, and facilities that allow for 22 specialties and 5 superspecialties.
Each year the Government of Sikkim releases a grant of INR 3.5 Crore to CRH against which the hospital provides free treatment to BPL families and concessional treatment to residents of Sikkim.
The Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology is approved by the AICTE. It also has the accreditation from the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) ACCR-860/06 from January 2008. The institute also has ISO 9001 accreditation vide NS-EN ISO 9001:2008 for all the courses it offers.
It is ranked 5th among Engineering Colleges of Eminence, 6th among Leading Institutes delivering Excellence in Education, 7th among top private engineering colleges, and 20th in faculty/ research and consultancy/EDP and other programs, according to a survey taken in 2015-16 by the CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey.
CRH has state of the art facilities like MRI , 64 slice CT scan, 1000 MA digital X-Ray, cath-lab, and special operation theatres for cardiothoracic surgery and neurosurgery.
SMU runs distance education courses in the fields of Information Technology and Management Studies. The programs offered by SMU are:
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Computer Application
- Bachelor of Science (Information Technology)
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Computer Applications
- Master of Science (Information Technology)
A dedicated placement cell conducts periodic placement drives across India to help SMU’s distance education students secure jobs on completion of their course.
- List of universities in India
- List of institutions of higher education in India
- Education in India
- Association of Indian Universities
- Distance Education Council