|Sikorsky S-16 circa 1915|
|National origin||Russian Empire|
|Manufacturer||RBVZ (Russo-Baltic Wagon Works)|
|First flight||6 February 1915|
|Primary users||Imperial Russian Air Service|
Soviet Air Force
The Sikorsky S-16, or RBVZ S-XVI (named after its manufacturer), was a Russian equi-span single-bay two-seat biplane designed by Igor Sikorsky in 1914-15. Conceived in response to demand for an escort fighter for the Ilya Muromets bombers, it was noteworthy in that it was one of the first aircraft to possess synchronisation gear for its 7.7 mm machine gun. The first S-XVI was completed on 6 February 1915 with an 80 hp engine instead of the intended 100 hp because of supply problems. On 17 December 1915, the Russian government placed an order for 18 aircraft, these being delivered in early 1916.
Although highly maneuverable, the S-XVI possessed a comparatively poor performance due to insufficient power. A further small batch were completed in 1917, with the aircraft being used during the Russian Revolution and staying in service until 1923. At least one aircraft have been used by the Ukrainian People's Republic after 1917.
Data from Sikorsky S-XVI escort fighter
- Crew: 1
- Length: 6.2 m (20 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 8.4 m (27 ft 7 in)
- Height: 2.78 m (9 ft 1 in)
- Wing area: 25.36 m2 (273.0 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 407 kg (897 lb)
- Gross weight: 676 kg (1,490 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Le Rhône 9J 9-cylinder air-cooled rotary engine, 75 kW (100 hp)
- Alternative engine : 80 hp (60 kW) Gnome Monosoupape 7 Type A 7-cylinder rotary engine
- Propellers: 2-bladed fixed-pitch propeller
- Maximum speed: 120 km/h (75 mph, 65 kn)
- Service ceiling: 3,500 m (11,500 ft)
- Rate of climb: 2.08 m/s (409 ft/min)
- Time to altitude: 1,000 m (3,281 ft) in 8 minutes
- Wing loading: 26.8 kg/m2 (5.5 lb/sq ft)
- Power/mass: 0.14 hp/kg
- Pike, John. "Sikorsky S-XVI escort fighter". globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 24 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- William Green and Gordon Swanborough. The Complete Book of Fighters. Colour Library Direct, Godalming, UK: 1994. ISBN 1-85833-777-1.
- Kulikov, Victor (June 1998). "Les chasseurs Sikorsky das le Grande Guerre (1ère partie)" [Sikorsky's Fighters During the Great War]. Avions: Toute l'aéronautique et son histoire (in French) (63): 20–25. ISSN 1243-8650.
- Kulikov, Victor (July 1998). "Les chasseurs Sikorsky das le Grande Guerre (dernière partie)" [Sikorsky's Fighters During the Great War]. Avions: Toute l'aéronautique et son histoire (in French) (64): 20–29. ISSN 1243-8650.
Media related to Sikorsky S-16 at Wikimedia Commons