|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
|Silapathar Town Committee||1991|
|• Body||Silapathar Town Committee|
|• Deputy Commissioner||Sri Ajit Kr. Bordoloi, ACS|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91, 03753|
Silapathar is a town and a town area committee in Dhemaji district in the Indian state of Assam. The town is situated on the northern bank of the Brahmaputra River, and is located approximately 500 kilometres from the city of Guwahati and just 7 km from Arunachal Pradesh.
As of 2001[update] India census, Silapathar had a population of 22,307. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Silapathar has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 75%, and female literacy is 63%. In Silapathar, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Lilabari airport which falls under the town of Lakhimpur district is the nearest airport from Silapathar.Very few flights fly from Lilabari Airport as it is not so commercially active. Construction of a bridge (Bogibeel Bridge) over the river Brahmaputra, joining Silapathar and Dibrugarh is going on. After which communication is going to be far more better, as access to MohanBari Airport, Dibrugarh will become quite easy and it is also a commercially active airport.
Besides this, the Rangiya-Murkongsleek Broad Gauge conversion is also under progress and once that completes, it will be a boom for the area.
However, both these projects have been consistently delayed, although they have been declared National Projects. Currently NH52 is the one which connects to Silapathar.
It is cut off from the rest of the country for at least a couple of months during the rainy season each year, although temporary arrangements are made by the people themselves where they take bus to a certain point, walk for a few km, take a boat and then get a connecting bus.
- IDBI Bank, Silapathar Branch
- State Bank of India, Kulajan Branch
- Assam Gramin Vikash Bank, Silapathar Branch
- United Bank of India,Silapathar Branch
- UCO Bank,SilapatharBranch
Bank ATM Service
- State Bank of India, Bank Ground Floor.
- State Bank of India, M.V School Road (Paul Patty )
- State Bank of India, Jonai link Road
- State Bank of India, Gogai Market.
- State Bank of India, Kalibari Road.
- State Bank of India, Likabali Road.
- State Bank of India, Near- Petrol Pump,Kulajan.
- IDBI Bank, Bank Ground Floor, Jonai Tiniali
- United Bank of India, Bank Ground Floor.
Schools in Silapathar include the following:
- Silapathar Residential Higher Secondary School—established in 1973, and has been the oldest school in the area.
- Don Bosco High School, Silapathar—English medium school, located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1971
- Residential English High School—English Medium School located at Society
- LNRH Memorial Shankardev Shishu/Vidya Niketan, Silapathar—Assamese Medium school, located at Bamgaon-Ward No-04
- Silapathar Town Hannuman Gadi Hindi High School—Hindi Medium School, Located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1994
- Silapathar Town Hannuman Gadi Hindi M.E. School—(Hindi Medium School, Located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1975
- Silapathar Town Hannuman Gadi Hindi L.P. School—Hindi Medium School, Located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1965
- Bhairabpur Netaji M.E. School—Assamese Medium School, Located at Bhairabpur, Established in 1975
It also has a few primary English medium schools including two Lord Macaulay High Schools, two government schools (Assamese medium) along with a Hindi medium school.
It has five colleges:
- Silapathar Purbanchal College
- Silapathar Science College
- Silapathar College
- Silapathar Town College
- Silapathar Commerce College
Members of Parliament
|Lok Sabha||Duration||Name of the Member||Party Affiliation|
|First||1967||Biswanarayan Shastri||Indian National Congress|
|Second||1971||Biswanarayan Shastri||Indian National Congress|
|Third||1977||Lalit Kumar Doley||Indian National Congress|
|Fourth||1984||Gakul Saikia||Asom Gana Parishad|
|Fifth||1991||Balin Kuli||Indian National Congress|
|Sixth||1996||Arun Kumar Sarmah||Asom Gana Parishad|
|Seventh||1998||Ranee Narah||Indian National Congress|
|Eighth||1999||Ranee Narah||Indian National Congress|
|Ninth||2004||Arun Kumar Sarmah||Asom Gana Parishad|
|Tenth||2009||Ranee Narah||Indian National Congress|
|Eleventh||2014||Sarbananda Sonowal||Bharatiya Janata Party|
Silapathar has decent landline, mobile and internet connectivity. Internet connectivity through wireless datacards and Broadband is available. The major cellular service providers are Airtel, BSNL, Aircel, Vodafone, Reliance .
3G services are a recent addition to the city.
|Sl No.||Mobile Operator|
List of Hospitals
- Civil Hospital
- Likabali Road
- Paul Patty
- Station Road
- High Secondary Road
- Lachit Nagar
- Gandhi Nagar
- Jonai Road
- Madhuri Pathar
- Subhas Pally
- Jonaki Nagar
- PWD Colony
- Nautun Missing Gaon
- Medical Road
- Junaki Nagar
- Main Road
- Natun Mising Gaon
- Ruwat Nagar
- 1 No. Mising Gaon
- 2 No. Mising Gaon
- kankan Nagar
- Lisang Nagar
- jarsang Nagar
- Jyoti Nagar
Points of interest
- Kaili Mata Mandir ( Silapathar Railway Station Ground )
- Hannuman Mandir
- Radha Krishna Mandir
- Kalibari Mandir
- Higher Secondary Ground
- Mangal Bazar
- Malini Than
- Rukmini Than
- Sarbajanik Chhaht Puja Parichalana Samiti,Silapathar Higher Secondary School Road,(Bamgoan),Established in 1969
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Assam. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-06.