This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Petrol Pump in entrance of Silapathar
|Silapathar Town Committee||1991|
|• Body||Silapathar Town Committee|
|• Deputy Commissioner||Sri Ajit Kr. Bordoloi, ACS|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91, 03753|
Silapathar is a town and a town area committee in Dhemaji district in the Indian state of Assam. The town is situated on the northern bank of the Brahmaputra River, and is located approximately 500 kilometres from the city of Guwahati and just 7 km from Arunachal Pradesh.
As of 2001[update] India census, Silapathar had a population of 22,307. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Silapathar has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 75%, and female literacy is 63%. In Silapathar, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Lilabari airport which falls under the town of Lakhimpur district is the nearest airport from Silapathar. Very few flights fly from Lilabari Airport as it is not so commercially active. Ongoing[when?] construction of Bogibeel Bridge over the river Brahmaputra, joining Silapathar and Dibrugarh, with provide easy access to the more commercially active MohanBari Airport.
The Rangiya-Murkongsleek Broad Gauge conversion is now complete and provides access to Guwahati.
Bogibeel bridge is delayed and is likely to be completed by 2018.
Currently NH52 is the one which connects to Silapathar.
It is cut off from the rest of the country for at least a couple of months during the rainy season each year, although temporary arrangements are made by the people themselves where they take bus to a certain point, walk for a few km, take a boat and then get a connecting bus.
Schools in Silapathar include the following:
- Bhairabpur Netaji M.E. School—Assamese Medium School, Located at Bhairabpur, Established in 1975
- Don Bosco High School, Silapathar—English medium school, located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1971
- Lord Macaulay High School, Located at signal basti, Established in 1998.
- LNRH Memorial Shankardev Shishu/Vidya Niketan, Silapathar—Assamese Medium school, located at Bamgaon-Ward No-04
- Residential English High School—English Medium School located at Society
- Silapathar Residential Higher Secondary School—established in 1973, and has been the oldest school in the area.
- Silapathar Town Hannuman Gadi Hindi High School—Hindi Medium School, Located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1994
- Silapathar Town Hannuman Gadi Hindi M.E. School—(Hindi Medium School, Located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1975
- Silapathar Town Hannuman Gadi Hindi L.P. School—Hindi Medium School, Located at Silapathar-Likabali link road, established in 1965
- A primary Lord Macaulay High School located at Society.
- Two government schools (Assamese medium) along with a Hindi medium school.
It also has a few primary English medium schools including two Lord Macaulay High Schools, two government schools (Assamese medium) along with a Hindi medium school.
It has five colleges:
- Silapathar junior Science College
- Silapathar Purbanchal College
- Silapathar Science College
- Silapathar College
- Silapathar Town College
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Assam. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-06.