Redd with the Washington Redskins in 2014
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||March 1, 1992|
|Place of birth:||Norwalk, Connecticut|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school:||Stamford (CT) King|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Silas Raynard Redd Jr. (born March 1, 1992) is an American football running back who is currently a free agent. He played college football at USC, and was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Washington Redskins in 2014.
Redd played in the 2010 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
Redd served as a backup in 2010, and became Penn State's lead running back in 2011. He rushed for 1,188 yards in the 2011 regular season, third most in the Big Ten Conference and 22nd most among all NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision players. He ranked 28th in the Football Bowl Subdivision in rushing yards per game.
Redd rushed for 100 or more yards in six of 12 games for Penn State in 2011, including a career-high 164 yards against Northwestern on October 22, 2011.
On July 31, 2012, Redd announced he would transfer to USC in the wake of NCAA sanctions levied against the Nittany Lions football program that gave players an opportunity to transfer to another major program without sitting out a year.  Redd practiced with the Trojans for the first time on August 6. He finished his first year with 905 rushing yards and nine touchdowns.
Redd announced he intended to remain at USC for his senior season. He played in six games, rushing for 376 yards with one touchdown.
|2010||Penn State Nittany Lions||77||437||5.7||2||4||27||6.7||0|
|2011||Penn State Nittany Lions||244||1241||5.1||7||9||40||4.4||0|
2014 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in||212 lb||30 3⁄4 in||9 in||4.70 s||37.0 in||10 ft 2 in||18 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine.|
Redd was signed by the Washington Redskins on May 10, 2014 as an undrafted free agent. Despite being undrafted, Redd made the Redskins' final 53-man roster on August 30 beating out Evan Royster, Lache Seastrunk, and Chris Thompson for the third-string running back spot. In the 41-10 win in Week 2 against the Jacksonville Jaguars, he recorded his first career touchdown.
Redd tore his right ACL and MCL in the first 2015 preseason game against the Cleveland Browns. On August 16, 2015, he was waived/injured. After going unclaimed, he was placed on injured reserve. On November 18, 2015, it was announced that the league would be suspending him for four games for violating the substance-abuse policy. Due to Redd being already on injured reserve, he would only lose four paychecks. On April 12, 2016, it was reported that Redd was suspended indefinitely for violating the substance-abuse policy.
He was waived by the Redskins on December 27, 2016 after being reinstated from suspension.
- Flounders, Bob (November 28, 2011). "Penn State defensive lineman Devon Still, linebacker Gerald Hodges named first-team All-Big Ten". Harrisburg Patriot-News. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Penn State turns running game over to Redd zone". SI.com. August 22, 2011.
- "Silas Redd Carrying Heavy Burden In Penn State Backfield". Pittsburgh SBNation. October 19, 2011.
- Ron Musselman (October 10, 2011). "Redd honors grandmother with big game". Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
- "NCAA Division I-A Player Rushing Statistics - 2011 (Rushing Yards Leaders - All Players)". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "Statistics - Individual (Rushing)". ncaa.com. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "Silas Redd". ESPN.com.
- "Silas Redd spurns Penn State Nittany Lions, heading to USC Trojans". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- Moura, Pedro (August 8, 2012). "Silas Redd gets taste of USC drills". ESPNLosAngeles.com.
- Pedro Moura, Sun Bowl: Postgame notebook, ESPNLosAngeles.com, December 31, 2012, accessed January 23, 2013.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Undrafted free agents 2014: Washington Redskins sign Silas Redd, Tommy Rees
- Jones, Mike (May 14, 2014). "Redskins sign nine undrafted rookies". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Boyer, Zac (August 30, 2014). "Silas Redd, Kai Forbath win position battles as Redskins finalize roster". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Redskins-Jaguars Monday Stats Pack". Redskins.com. September 15, 2014. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Walker, Andrew (August 15, 2015). "Silas Redd Jr., Logan Paulsen Out For Year". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- Walker, Andrew (August 16, 2015). "Redskins Sign Tight Ends D.J. Williams And Ernst Brun". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- Czarda, Stephen (August 19, 2015). "Silas Redd Jr. To Have Surgery Thursday". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Smith, Michael (November 18, 2015). "NFL suspends injured Washington RB Silas Redd". NBCSports.com. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- Keim, John (April 12, 2016). "RB Silas Redd violates substance abuse policy, gets indefinite suspension". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "Redskins Waive RB Silas Redd After He’s Reinstated From Suspension". NFLTradeRumors.com. December 27, 2016.