|Directed by||Bille August|
|Produced by||Jesper Morthorst|
|Written by||Christian Torpe|
|Music by||Annette Focks|
|Edited by||Anne Østerud|
Janus Billeskov Jansen
|Budget||DKK 13 mio|
Silent Heart (Danish: Stille hjerte, Quiet heart) is a 2014 Danish drama film directed by Bille August, and starring Ghita Nørby, Morten Grunwald, Paprika Steen, and Jens Albinus. The film was nominated for the 2015 Nordic Council Film Prize.
A family of three generations gather over a weekend to say goodbye to Esther (Ghita Nørby) who suffers from an incurable disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and with the help of her husband Poul (Morten Grunwald) has chosen to pursue euthanasia when the weekend is over. But as the end approaches, the mother's decision becomes more and more difficult to handle for the daughters Heidi (Paprika Steen) and Sanne (Danica Curcic), and old conflicts come to the surface.
- Ghita Nørby as Esther
- Morten Grunwald as Poul
- Paprika Steen as Heidi
- Danica Curcic as Sanne
- Jens Albinus as Michael
- Pilou Asbæk as Dennis
- Vigga Bro as Lisbeth
- Oskar Sælan Halskov as Jonathan
The topic of August's film is euthanasia. The film is a family drama about three generations coming together over a weekend to say goodbye to their wife, mother, mother in law, grandmother and friend.
Film critic Morten Piil in Filmmagasinet Ekko gave the film 5 out of 6 stars and wrote: "All in all, Silent Heart is Bille August's most complete film since The Best Intentions. Jonathan Holland for The Hollywood Reporter wrote positively from San Sebastián that "After the disappointing Night Train to Lisbon, Heart signals a return to form for the former Oscar-winner Bille August, who here explores with practised ease and an alertness the emotional truth of the dynamics of an ordinarily neurotic family in an extraordinary situation. Accessible without being easy, and played to perfection by a superbly directed cast, Heart looks set to beat at festivals and in the European arthouse."
Jay Weissberg for Variety on the other hand wrote that "Silent Heart is a standard-issue tearjerker about a dying matriarch gathering her family around on the weekend she plans to off herself: The only surprise is when the script goes from merely stereotyped to spectacularly silly with a late revelation that would feel idiotic even in a farfetched 1940s meller."
- "Bille August kommer til Kerteminde". mitfyn.dk.
- Nicolas Stig Nielsen. "Bille Augusts nye film er om aktiv dødshjælp: For mig handler det om værdighed". DR.
- "Bille Augusts "Stille hjerte" får premiere på prestigefyldt filmfestival". filmz.dk.
- "Stille hjerte". ekkofilm.dk.
- Jonathan Holland. "'Silent Heart' ('Stille Hjerte'): San Sebastian Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "'Silent Heart' Review: Bille August's Euthanasia Drama Sad for the Wrong Reasons - Variety". Variety.
- Silent Heart on IMDb
- Silent Heart in the Danish Film Database
- Stille hjerte at Rotten Tomatoes
- Silent Heart in the film database danskefilm.dk (in Danish)