|Studio album by Asia|
|Released||31 August 2004|
|Studio||Clear Lake Audio, North Hollywood, Los Angeles|
|Label||Inside Out Music|
|Singles from Silent Nation|
Silent Nation is the ninth studio album by British rock band Asia, released in 2004. It was the last album with longtime vocalist and bassist John Payne, prior to the reunion of the original line-up in 2006.
Silent Nation was recorded at Clear Lake Audio in North Hollywood, Los Angeles, and produced, engineered and mixed solely by Payne. The album features a stable line-up consisting of Payne, keyboard player Geoff Downes, guitarist Guthrie Govan and drummer Chris Slade, which had been achieved during Aura (2001) sessions. Early writing sessions were with guitarist Billy Sherwood and drummer Jay Schellen. Eventually, two songs, "Ghost in the Mirror" and "I Will Be There for You", co-written by Sherwood, made the final album. "Darkness Day" and "The Prophet" were initially announced as "The Sun Don't Shine" and "Sail Away", respectively. An early track listing included "Long and Lonely Ride", but it was not finished in time. The main lyricist for Silent Nation was Payne. The lyrics are essentially based around the idea of the power centralization in the modern world, disfranchising the general public.
The album finally broke the tradition of naming Asia studio recordings with a word beginning and ending with the letter 'a'. The exception is Rare (1999), a collection of instrumental music, which was composed only by Payne and Downes, and, thus, may be viewed as their solo album. Silent Nation is also the first album to feature a photograph, not an illustration, as was Asia's trademark.
Silent Nation was released on 31 August 2004 by Inside Out Music on CD and special edition CD/DVD-Video (featuring the making of the album). In Japan, it became available on 22 September 2004 through Victor and featured "Rise" as a bonus track.
|1.||"What About Love"||5:25|
|2.||"Long Way from Home"||6:01|
|4.||"Blue Moon Monday"||7:17|
|6.||"Ghost in the Mirror"||4:38|
|7.||"Gone Too Far"||6:48|
|8.||"I Will Be There for You"||4:10|
|Japan bonus track|
- John Payne – vocals, guitar, bass; producer, engineer, mixing engineer
- Geoff Downes – keyboards, percussion
- Guthrie Govan – guitars
- Chris Slade – drums
- Kim Nielsen Parsons – bass guitar (on "I Will Be There for You")
- Billy Sherwood – guitars, bass
- Ant Glynne – guitars
- Jay Schellen – drums
- Eddy Schreyer – mastering engineer (at Oasis Mastering, Studio City, Los Angeles)
- Thomas Ewerhard – artwork, layout
- Robert John – photography
- Gene Kirkland – photography
- Ace Trump – live photography
- Billy White – digital art
- Roger Dean – Asia logotype
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||77|
- "Silent Nation". Yescography. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Payne, John (13 September 2004). "Asia Interview for DPRP" (Interview). Interviewed by Martien Koolen. Dutch Progressive Rock Page. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Raymond, Jean-Luc (25 July 2004). "Asia Silent Nation New Album and DVD". The Official Blog for Westcoast Music in France. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Asia – Silent Nation" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 28 May 2018.