Silent No More (book)
|Author||Aaron Fisher, Michael Gillum, and Dawn Daniels|
|October 23, 2012|
Silent No More: Victim 1's Fight for Justice Against Jerry Sandusky is a 2012 book by Aaron Fisher, identified as "Victim 1" in the Penn State child sex abuse scandal. Fisher is called "Victim 1" because it was his reporting his abuse to high school officials that set off the investigation that led to Sandusky's conviction. The book follows Fisher's experience from the beginning of his interaction with Jerry Sandusky at The Second Mile through Sandusky's conviction of 45 of 48 counts related to child sex abuse.
Fisher's psychologist, Michael Gillum, was a co-author of the book, writing 21 of 30 chapters; Fisher and his mother wrote the other 9. Fisher said that he wrote the book with the hopes of encouraging all victims of abuse to come forward. Fisher revealed that he had contemplated suicide during the 3-year-long investigation. The Patriot News reporter Sara Ganim, who won a 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Local Reporting for her reporting on the Sandusky scandal, raised issues with the fact-checking quality of the book, which she described as "[hitting] shelves just four months after Sandusky’s conviction, and it shows."
- Roebuck, Jeremy (October 20, 2012). "'Victim 1' makes his name public". Philadelphia Inquirer. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Philadelphia Media Network. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Jerry Sandusky victim has book deal". Associated Press. ESPN. September 27, 2012. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Ganim, Sara (October 25, 2012). "Review: Jerry Sandusky Victim 1's book dives into politics of Sandusky investigation". The Patriot News. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Advance Publications. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Scolforo, Mark; Armas, Geno (October 18, 2012). "Sandusky asks judge to overturn abuse convictions". Associated Press. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "In new book, Victim 1 recounts abuse ordeal at hands of ex-Penn State assistant coach Sandusky". Associated Press. Fox News. October 19, 2012. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Clarke, John (19 October 2012). "'The fun and games turned to horror': Sandusky's 'Victim 1' reveals his identity and tells of ordeal at hands of pedophile coach". Daily Mail. London, England: Daily Mail and General Trust. Retrieved 18 April 2018.