Silent Service II
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Silent Service II|
|Designer(s)||Roy B. Gibson
|Programmer(s)||Roy B. Gibson|
|Composer(s)||Jeffery L. Briggs|
Silent Service II is a submarine simulation game released in 1990 for DOS and ported in 1991 to the Amiga. The game is set in the Pacific Ocean during World War II, and is the sequel to 1985's Silent Service.
Silent Service II allows the player to choose either single scenarios (training, a single historical battle, or a single random encounter war patrol) or an extended war career.
In the career mode the player undertakes a number of consecutive patrols in the submarine, meeting other ships or convoys in unscripted encounters generated by the game. The player is able to select a home port and a patrol area on a map of the Pacific Ocean, and time acceleration allowed the submarine to move quickly to the chosen area. The length of each patrol was limited by the submarine's available fuel, but a typical war career could still take several hours of play time to complete.
Common encounters involve the detection of a merchant ship or convoy, with the player determining whether and how to attack. On other occasions the player might face sudden detection by warships and be forced to act quickly to escape.
Several different viewpoints are available during play, including the bridge, the periscope - which could be used either submerged or surfaced - the navigation area displaying the area map, and internal status displays. Other ships are displayed as sprites in the bridge or periscope views, the game being capable of displaying graphics in 256 colours.
Computer Gaming World praised Silent Service II, citing its excellent graphics, "amazing" sound card audio and seven accurate submarine types. It concluded that the game "teaches historical lessons worthy of a graduate seminar in modern American history" while exciting as "a mammoth roller-coaster". A survey of strategy and war games gave it four and a half stars out of five.
- "Silent Service II". http://www.abandonia.com/. Abandonia.com. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Purchase Agreement between Atari, Inc. and Rebellion Developments, Stardock & Tommo" (PDF). BMC Group. 2013-07-22.
- "SILENT SERVICE II". http://www.subsim.com/index.php. SUBSIM.com. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Wilson, Johnny L. (November 1990). ""Down The Throat" and "Up The Kilt" with MicroProse's Silent Service II". Computer Gaming World. p. 51. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Brooks, M. Evan (December 1991). "Computer Strategy and Wargames: The 1900-1950 Epoch / Part II (M-Z) of an Annotated Paiktography". Computer Gaming World. p. 126. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
|This vehicle simulation game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|