Silhouette in Red
|Silhouette in Red|
|Studio album by Bonnie Tyler|
|Released||11 October 1993|
|Bonnie Tyler chronology|
|Singles from Silhouette in Red|
Silhouette in Red is the tenth studio album by Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler. It was released on 11 October 1993, through Hansa Records. The album became Tyler's final collaboration with German producer Dieter Bohlen.
The album was released in mainland Europe and was a commercial success. The album was certified Gold in Norway through pre-sales, one day before it was released.
Silhouette in Red was Tyler's third and final release with Hansa Records, following Bitterblue (1991) and Angel Heart (1992). Bohlen took Tyler's departure from Hansa "very personally", describing her next album Free Spirit (1995) as "one of the most expensive flops in the history of EastWest Records."
Writing and recording
Dieter Bohlen continued the same format as with Tyler's previous releases with Hansa, writing the majority of songs and publishing a number of them with different pseudonyms: Jennifer Blake, Steve Benson and Howard Houston.
In 2004, German producer Frank Farian published a book entitled Stupid Dieser Bohlen, in which he shared a letter he received from British musician Dave Ashby, who was based in Hamburg at the time. Ashby claimed that he was working for Warner/Chappell Music, who published Bohlen's songs on Silhouette in Red. According to Ashby, Bohlen had hired him to fix any grammatical errors in the lyrics he had written, and that he would be paid, receive royalties and that Bohlen would write a song for him. Ashby noted that Tyler was angry about the quality of the lyrics, but that he insisted that they were Bohlen's, not his own. Ashby claimed that he re-wrote most of Bohlen's text, and that both Tyler and Luis Rodríguez were pleased with the result. Bohlen then gave Ashby's promised song to Chris Norman, and refused to credit him as a songwriter. Ashby's name is listed under the "thank you" message in the album's liner notes, but not under the songwriting credits.
|Silhouette in Red|
|1.||"Sally Comes Around"||Dieter Bohlen||Bohlen||3:41|
|2.||"Fire in My Soul"||Bohlen||Bohlen||3:51|
|4.||"Send Me the Pillow"||Bohlen||3:31|
|5.||"From the Bottom of My Lonely Heart"||Bohlen||Bohlen||3:32|
|6.||"Silhouette in Red"||Bohlen||3:57|
|7.||"I Climb Every Mountain"||Bohlen||3:33|
|10.||"Clouds in My Coffee"||Bohlen||3:19|
|11.||"Years May Come"||Bohlen||Bohlen||3:49|
|12.||"Cryin' a Little"||Bohlen||3:35|
|13.||"You Are So Beautiful"||Gene Capell||2:19|
|14.||"Before We Get Any Closer"||Scott||4:07|
|15.||"You Won't See Me Cry"||2:45|
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||25|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||28|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||6|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||40|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||23|
|Eurocharts European Top 100 Albums||54|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Platinum||50,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Dillon, Charlotte. "Silhouette in Red – Bonnie Tyler — Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Bohlen, Bonnie. Oder: Keiner singt geiler als die Tyler, p. 205.
- Frank Farian: Stupid Dieser Bohlen, chapter 18 ISBN 3-9809531-0-6
- "Austriancharts.at – Bonnie Tyler – Silhouette in Red" (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Officialcharts.de – Bonnie Tyler – Silhouette in Red". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Silhouette in Red". Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Silhouette in Red". Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bonnie Tyler – Silhouette in Red". Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Music & Media" (PDF). Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "IFPI Norsk platebransje Trofeer 1993–2011" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway. Retrieved 23 October 2015.